Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: dymt reloaded

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:01 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Percocet?? All I got was 800mg Motrins and 3 bags of frozen peas. Still got to spend the weekend on the couch watching sports, with a 2-hour cycle on the bags of peas.
Yup. The doctor offered me a prescription for Valium as well, but I declined.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Dizik wrote:
Yup. The doctor offered me a prescription for Valium as well, but I declined.

Generous doctors in OK, I guess.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:14 pm

In case anybody was wondering, getting a vasectomy isn't bad at all and Percocet is still awesome.

I gotta talk to my wife about that. If I can time my recovery to coincide with hers it'll reduce the, um, downtime.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:21 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I gotta talk to my wife about that. If I can time my recovery to coincide with hers it'll reduce the, um, downtime.

If all goes right a Friday procedure will have you back to work on Monday. It's minimally invasive and Percocet is a major overreaction. IIRC it's one stitch in each side so even if you do need to do something it's not going to end up in splooshyness, just pain.

As for the bags of frozen peas I'm not joking. It's a moldable source of deep cold that helps keep down the inevitable swelling. Three bags at 2 hours each means 4 hours in the freezer before that bag comes out again, more than enough time to fully freeze the contents.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:13 pm

I've used frozen peas for other injuries; better than any ice pack. I once got hit in the testes with a baseball bat (and the kidneys, it was pretty painful and part of the reason I usually carry a weapon now) and used frozen fruits and veggies as packs for *days*

I can't tell if I'm old and out of touch or if there's a lot less chatter about the WiiU than the Wii. Or maybe I just don't remember well from when the Wii came out.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:24 pm

There's less chatter. Even my nintendo friends have nothing to say about it.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:24 am

Got two friends with fully outfitted Wii setups and while both of them are aware of it, neither of them is enticed enough to spend the money (so far).

IMO Nintendo's biggest mistake was not supporting HD, if only 720P. Now that 40" flat panel units are in stock at Walmart for less than the price of an iPhone5, everybody and their dog has a large HD set...and the Wii is odd-man-out with its crippled SD resolution support.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:28 am

I thought the WiiU did 720? If not that is catastrophically stupid in this day and age. When the Wii hit plenty of people didn't have HDTV sets but like you said, you can get a low end 40" 720p for less than the cost of a good smartphone now. I know more people that have HDTV's than don't, which wasn't the case 6 years ago.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:16 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I thought the WiiU did 720? If not that is catastrophically stupid in this day and age. When the Wii hit plenty of people didn't have HDTV sets but like you said, you can get a low end 40" 720p for less than the cost of a good smartphone now. I know more people that have HDTV's than don't, which wasn't the case 6 years ago.

There are some tricks that can be applied to enable 480P resolution and widescreen support, and then you can zoom the display using the TV's scaler, but the Wii does not support actual widescreen resolutions.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:55 pm

We were talking about the WiiU that' slaunching this week, not the original Wii ;) Which according to the spec sheet, the WiiU does do 1080p.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Oops, my mistake. I heard a bit about the new tablet-style controller but didn't notice that they had revamped the console.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00 am

http://www.rarebookroom.org/

Readable-quality (assuming you know Latin) digital photographs of many of the world's Great Books in their first editions.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:44 am

Far over the Misty Mountains cold,
To dungeons deep and caverns old,
[...]
The pines were roaring on the heights,
The wind was moaning in the night,
The fire was red, it flaming spread,
The trees like torches blazed with light.
[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tOo2OMUhB8
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:55 am

grantmeaname wrote:

QFT. I know several die-hard nintendo fans that... just don't seem to care anymore. I have numerous theories as to why, but it really seems like a trend.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:33 am

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/BaBar ... y_999.html

Time is not symmetrical. There be deeper magic at work here, but I have not the thinks to grasp it.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:09 am

Glorious wrote:
grantmeaname wrote:

QFT. I know several die-hard nintendo fans that... just don't seem to care anymore. I have numerous theories as to why, but it really seems like a trend.

Realize that several people who grew up with a NES, SNES, and/or N64 already have children, and therefore a lot less time to devote to such things...

And as with most new consoles, the biggest games were not released on the same day. Zelda is slated for 2013, I guess (lol, Zelda always gets delayed), but it's going to take a year or two before the games that people, especially Nintendo fanboys, really want are released.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:35 am

superjawes wrote:
Realize that several people who grew up with a NES, SNES, and/or N64 already have children, and therefore a lot less time to devote to such things...

...and some of us are actually in between children and grand-children right now, but have other hobbies and are having a mid-life career crisis (and therefore have little time for gaming for other reasons).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:50 am

superjawes wrote:

It's not like they don't have other consoles which they aren't avidly using.

superjawes wrote:
And as with most new consoles, the biggest games were not released on the same day. Zelda is slated for 2013, I guess (lol, Zelda always gets delayed), but it's going to take a year or two before the games that people, especially Nintendo fanboys, really want are released.

But, in the case of the people I am speaking of, they were excited for the Wii even beyond Twilight Princess.

JBI wrote:
...and some of us are actually in between children and grand-children right now, but have other hobbies and are having a mid-life career crisis (and therefore have little time for gaming for other reasons).

Sure, but if it was something that blatant I would have mentioned it. Again, the people I'm thinking of are still regularly to be found at game-stores on certain Tuesdays. They're just not doing that sort of thing for Nintendo stuff anymore.

superjawes

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:08 am

So basically your argument is similar to what I said: "People changed."

But in addition to that, the WiiU hasn't spun up to be in line with the multi-platform game launches, there aren't that many "great" games yet, and despite the tablet controller, there isn't as much to differentiate the WiiU from other consoles, while the Wii offered something completely different that could not be matched by the 360 or PS3 at the time.

I'm just saying that you shouldn't be surprised if there is little chatter at the moment. Each console release has its own quirks.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:28 am

so, I have some prescription decongestants I take when my nose gets plugged really bad. THey're kind of a last resort (mostly because they're more expensive than an OTC) but have never had any side effects until today.

Took one at 7am cause I could not frigging breath, and, well, it unplugged more than I meant it to :evil: And now I'm a shakey, sore, tired mess. But I can breath. Honestly, toss up on if it was worth it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:34 am

Maybe you're getting sick and the additional symptoms aren't side effects from the decongestant.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:35 am

superjawes wrote:
So basically your argument is similar to what I said: "People changed."

Actually, no. If anything, I'm just implying what you just said yourself in the last two paragraphs: there are reasons pertaining to the WiiU that are why there is "less chatter."

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:27 pm

Somebody needs to come up with a way to provide me with an infinite supply of Diet Dr. Pepper.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:48 pm

No problem. As long as you have an infinite supply of money.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Or...move south and work in the bottling plant. They will be happy to pay you in cases. :D

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Hmm Diet Dr. Pepper. My drink of choice, particularly when it's cut with Kracken rum.

liquidsquid

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:21 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Hmm Diet Dr. Pepper. My drink of choice, particularly when it's cut with Kracken rum.

Would that be Phil McKracken Rum?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:44 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
Would that be Phil McKracken Rum?

www.krakenrum.com

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:48 pm

Well the next month or so is gonna be really interesting. Not only are we being sold, my boss broke his hip yesterday and will be laid up for several weeks. I'm the interim department head until he's able to come back to work. Wheee!