Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Strange buzzing under load noise from video card

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:30 pm

Ok i have A 2600k overclocked in a p67-ud4-b3 MB with 8 gb corsair Vengence ddr3 1600 mem. Sporting 2 EVGA SuperClocked GTX 560 TI's setup in SLI with the latest Beta drivers. "I installed the beta drivers after i noticed the noise"

So here is my problem. I just Noticed it tonight, i know it ever made the noise before.

When i load a 720p HD video in MPC-HC and the window is not maximized and i move the MPC-HC window with the 720p video paused I am hearing a quiet almost inaudible transistor type buzzing noised coming from the video card plus it is loading the card around 25% at game clockspeeds/not video playback clocks or idle clockspeeds, Its not cards since i disabled SLI after i noticed the noise. I have moved HD video windows around before and never noticed the noise before. Now I have to note that the cards have been running stock for a while since i have not played a game on the rig in a good while. But i have converted Blu ray images to MKVs many times utilizing CUDA and never noticed any noise plus it only loads the second/slave card about 35-40%.

Now the first thing i am going to do is swap the cards top and bottom and take the rig outside and blow it all out with the Air compressor, cards and all but i am going to mark the top primary card so i can keep track of it.

So hear is my Question:
Has anyone else noticed a slight but clearly audible electronic buzzing type transistor perhaps ionizer buzz type noise from a slightly loaded or heavy loaded video card ?? If so, do you know the cause and the fix besides replacing the card.
I have to get the turkey stuffing ready and do not have time to play with it right now but was curious if anyone has come across a similar problem that might help me as i mess with it on Thanksgiving :)

Thank you all ahead of time and Happy Thanksgiving
I cannot wait to have that tryptophan running through my system and making me pass out:)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Mentawl
Gerbil Elite

Re: Strange buzzing under load noise from video card

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:42 pm

A buzzing noise is pretty normal with most modern graphics cards, I've found :-/. At least it's happened with a 5870, 560Ti, 7850 and 670 that I've personally worked with. It's just the voltage regulation circuitry on the cards, so I'm not sure even replacing the cards will help really.
i7-8700k @ 4.7ghz | MSI Krait Z370 Gaming | nVidia GTX1080 | 16gb DDR4 3200 | 2x SSDs 1x HDD | Antec Solo II | Dell U2713HM

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks for the reply. Since it never made a sound before i am hoping moving the noisy card to the slave positon the noise will once again be nice and Quiet.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:59 am

I tend to find that the whining/buzzing from graphics cards depends a lot on the resolution and screen refresh rate, and sometimes even whether the screen is running a 3D application or not.
I assume this means it's the actual display engine circuitry that makes these noises and if that correlates with your experience, relegating it to a slave should make it quiet.

Something like 1-in-3 graphics cards I've come across exhibit noise like this and I can't recall any failures being related to 'noisy' cards, so I think you'll be okay :)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:42 am

Once again, you should be okay.

Almost every time this nothing more than a buzzing electrical component, usually a capacitor. Last card I had that did this was my 8800GTX, and the buzzing increased either with the refresh rate or plain ol' FPS. Hot-gluing said capacitor (if you can pinpoint it) fixes the issue. No, it won't hurt it.

If it really is very noticeable, then you might consider RMA'ing the card.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:45 am

Unfortunately it is fairly common for video cards and motherboards to have this issue.

Fortunately it is generally harmless (if somewhat annoying); it isn't a sign that your card is about to explode. It is just one of the inductors resonating at some sub-multiple of the switching frequency of the voltage regulator circuitry when under load.

As morphine notes, a bit of hot glue can fix this. (Though I've never noticed the capacitors resonating, in every case I have seen it has been the inductors. But I suppose capacitors could vibrate too in response to changing electrical field...)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.