Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

boblink
Gerbil
Topic Author

W8 - Crashed

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi, I was away from my computer and when I returned, I found a message on my computer advising me that W8 crashed and asked if I wanted to send a report to MS (which I did).
I didn't think anything of this until I accessed my computer and noticed that EVERYTHING that I had been working on was gone. My Bookmarks/Favorite Places were gone, folders/files that I saved on my Desktop were gone,....... not what I wanted to see.
I have an External Drive that use for these situation but somehow the folders for Bookmarks/Favorite Places were there but the files in the folders were gone so I am in the process of trying to reconstruct everything which is NO FUN and was wonder if anyone might venture to guess what happened and how to avoid this from happening again.
Thank you for your help,
Bob
P.S.- I don't know if this would help but I thought that I would create a System Restore point and could not find the System Restore function on W8

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: W8 - Crashed

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

boblink
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: W8 - Crashed

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks Jedi

boblink
Gerbil
Topic Author

(W8 - Crashed) FollowUP Question

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi Jedi, I created a restore point and not being familiar with W8, how do I find/locate the restore point on my system?
The reason that I ask is that I partitioned my HDD and want to save restore points in a location of my choosing and not where W8 decides to place it.
Thanks,
Bob