Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

ascen
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

new computer old hard drive windows 7

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:13 am

Ok so i built a new computer and used my old hdd i

installed all the new parts with prepping for the new mobo now i cant get windows to install it says im missing drivers and insert a disc. i have since hooked up my old pc and formatted it on that then re-allocated my partitions and its doing the same thing i used a Ubuntu disc and installed that it works fine but i want windows 7 back or even 8 cuz i have that as well Ubuntu reads my drive fine and my old comp and other computer read it fine i even used another computer to install win 7 onto a partition on the drive but i cannot get it to install on the new comp ( i have also updated the bios and tried a windows 7 restore disk made from one of my other computers). my specs are:
asus maximus v formula
intell i5 3570k
16g dual channel corsair vengeance
xfx 6870(temp) graphics card

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: new computer old hard drive windows 7

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:37 am

Does the error message give any more detail beyond "missing drivers"?

Taking a shot in the dark here, I am guessing that the problem is the mode your SATA ports are set to in the BIOS, and/or which port you are connecting the hard drive and/or DVD drive to. Make sure your SATA ports are configured for AHCI mode, and try moving the drives around to different SATA ports.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:41 am

The drivers refer to your motherboard specific stuff. Moving hard drives between different motherboard/cpu setups is not recommended, even if it is possible.

You can either load the drivers into the system before moving it, or copy them to the disk c:\drivers would be easiest and then point the windows installer there whenever it asks for drivers.
i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz | Gigabyte Gaming-5 | GTX 980 4GB | 4x8 (32GB) DDR4-2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 1x 3TB WD Green HDD

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:49 am

Windows 7 should not need additional drivers to talk to the disk unless the controller is set for RAID mode.

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:05 am

I doubt it is the disk that is the problem, Windows is likely recognizing the new motherboard features that weren't present on the old one and is asking for the appropriate drivers. He could probably just hit cancel on every prompt and Windows will load the microsoft defaults. This would let him load the OEM drivers after windows boots.
i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz | Gigabyte Gaming-5 | GTX 980 4GB | 4x8 (32GB) DDR4-2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 1x 3TB WD Green HDD

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:12 am

Assuming you are setting the SATA mode to AHCI in the BIOS, it should work with an unformatted disk.

i have since hooked up my old pc and formatted it on that then re-allocated my partitions

Don't format it.
Plug it back into your old PC, open disk management and delete all the partitions on that disk. Make sure it's listed as a basic disk and not a dynamic disk, then move it back to your new PC and install windows.

Windows 8 setup is finding foreign partitions and disk information. The best way to install a clean copy is on an unpartitioned disk, just like a new disk.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:17 am

Master Kenobi wrote:
I doubt it is the disk that is the problem, Windows is likely recognizing the new motherboard features that weren't present on the old one and is asking for the appropriate drivers. He could probably just hit cancel on every prompt and Windows will load the microsoft defaults. This would let him load the OEM drivers after windows boots.

Unless I am mis-reading the original post, he initially tried to do a fresh install on the new motherboard.

Chrispy_ wrote:
Don't format it.
Plug it back into your old PC, open disk management and delete all the partitions on that disk. Make sure it's listed as a basic disk and not a dynamic disk, then move it back to your new PC and install windows.

Windows 8 setup is finding foreign partitions and disk information. The best way to install a clean copy is on an unpartitioned disk, just like a new disk.

Even better than unpartitioning it would be to download the drive manufacturer's diagnostics and run a "write zeros" test on it. Or boot a Linux live CD, elevate to root, and run a "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda" (assuming it is the only drive connected to the motherboard). This is as close as you'll get to a factory fresh drive without actually buying a new drive...

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:53 am

Or that yes.
Whatever's easiest.

I think both of us are assuming he's getting the "no drives detected, install disk/disk controller drivers" prompt.
It's not clear, but I'm pretty sure that's the only prompt you get for drivers during Windows setup.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:40 am

I think both of us are assuming he's getting the "no drives detected, install disk/disk controller drivers" prompt.
It's not clear, but I'm pretty sure that's the only prompt you get for drivers during Windows setup.

Close, but not quite. Windows will ask for drivers anytime it identifies hardware that it doesn't have built-in drivers for. You see this sort of thing commonly when trying to reinstall windows on top of itself (especially with XP), during the setup process it will ask for drivers because it sees hardware it has none for on the CD, but the drivers are present on the system as they were installed after the original install.

SATA mode to AHCI in the BIOS

Windows Vista and newer resolved that little bit of problem, only 2k3/XP suffered from that particular flaw. Still, that doesn't exclude the problem with RAID mode, however Windows 7/8 don't need additional drivers to use it unless it is some sort of 3rd party RAID. Based on his specs the likely candidate would be the Intel Matrix RAID which Windows works fine with out of the box.

ascen, the best way for us to help you would be to take a picture of the message you are getting (phone or digital camera would do nicely) and post that in this thread. That should give us a clear idea of the prompt and single out the right solution for your problem. I've seen 3 possible answers in this thread but each resolves a slightly different problem.

ascen
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:12 pm

yes during the instal it says. a required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing. if you have a driver floppy disk , cd,dvd, or usb flash drive please insert now. i am installing using an external dvd drive, if i hit cancel it gives me the option to rescan or browse if i hit browse it sees both of my partitions and the install disc, but says that no device drivers where found. make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers and then click ok. my sata configuration is set to AHCI in the bios i

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:03 pm

"i am installing using an external dvd drive"

Ok well make sure it is not plugged into a ubs 3.0 port or you won't get anywhere.

And in the BIOS, look up the boot order and make sure usb drive(dvd) is first and hdd is 2nd.

Also may have to enable usb boot support, depending on bios.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:38 pm

Ahh, OK. As anotherengineer noted, make absolutely certain that the DVD drive is plugged into one of the northbridge USB 2.0 ports. If unsure which ports are which, just try running the installer from different ports in sequence until the error (hopefully) goes away.

Your best bet is probably to borrow a SATA DVD drive from another system (or from a friend).

ascen
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:02 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
"i am installing using an external dvd drive"

Ok well make sure it is not plugged into a ubs 3.0 port or you won't get anywhere.

And in the BIOS, look up the boot order and make sure usb drive(dvd) is first and hdd is 2nd.

Also may have to enable usb boot support, depending on bios.

thank you that was the problem i had used thus external drive to instal before and it worked in the passed but i didn't have usb 3.0 ports so i didn't think it was gonna be the problem and thank you to everyone that has posted to assist me its installing fine now that i switched to a standard usb port.