Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

boblink
Gerbil
Topic Author

UnInstall W8--->Resurrect W7--->Clean Install W8

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:10 am

Hi, I installed W8 (over W7) a couple of weeks ago and my system has crashed several times but yesterday, it not only crashed but when it restarted, I noticed that all my data files as well as Favorite Places/Bookmarks were wiped out, which did not make me happy.
I tried to reconstruct my (6 month old HP with a SandyBridge processor) system and the same thing happened a few hours later so the only thing that I can think of is, to Re-Install W8 as a CLEAN INSTALL and would appreciate your help.
First, does a Clean Install make sense in this scenario or is there something else that I might try first?
Assuming that I will need to perform a Clean Install, I have a few questions that I would appreciate help with.
First, I would like to “find” my Favorite Places/Bookmarks, Desktop, Data files,….. so I was thinking of uninstalling W8 and reverting back to W7 so that I can locate and copy these files and apps, which would allow me to then “paste” them into W8 when I install it.
Does this make sense and if so, how do I resurrect W7 (when W8 has already been installed)?
BTW, I partitioned the 1T HDD on my system so that the “C” Drive is where W8 (and I assume a backup copy of W7) resides.
When I eventually Re-Install W8, I believe that I will need to choose the Reformat “C” and Install W8 option but I am concerned about the system drivers i.e. monitor, KB, mouse, Audio, HDD,……..
Will W8 “find” and install these drives automatically, if not what do I do?
Any other hints / suggestions /advice/……. that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your help,
Bob

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: UnInstall W8--->Resurrect W7--->Clean Install W8

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:43 am

If you are trying to recover files from the drive before wiping it to do a clean re-install, your best bet is to temporarily stick it in an external enclosure (or use something like this), and use another system to do the data recovery.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:48 am

Hi. I have done both. My upgrade to W8 on laptop worked fine - but I don't use it much and don't use it for many purposes.

I just did a clean install on my desktop, reformatting my 256 SSD and loading W8 fresh. I have since had a number of weird events - including loss of wireless over a couple of reboots, migrating icons and this am a workgroup icon shows up on my desktop. To be fair, I am using classic shell, but it may be W8 and its taking control more than anything else. I have sought to remove all the W8 apps I can.

For years I reformatted and re-installed about once a year. Clean was great. I went 2 1/2 years on W7 then it got wonky - before my clean install (there were no parts changes other than an additional HDD so I don't think its hardware issues). There does not seem to be a lot of commentary about such issues however, across the release candidate and lately.

Usually after a reformat I do reinstall the chipset drivers. I did not this time because W8 handled it all. (Maybe I will still.)

I'd encourage the plan you suggest, but my experiences suggests you may still have bumps. Good luck!

boblink
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks for the suggestion Brew, I have a question about the "Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2".
What is it for, is it an adapter to speed up transfer to/from a Memory Stick/Flash Drive?
Thanks,
Bob

boblink
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:42 am

Thank you for your help Ordskiweicz, it doesn't make me feel any better to know that I am not the only one experiencing these WEIRD problems but it make me feel less paranoid that I "screwed things up" myself. Apparently W8 has LOTS of issues, hopefully the MS Tech Teams is busy working them out and I'll probably perform the Clean Install later in the week (after I do some more reading and research).
Bob

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:00 am

boblink wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion Brew, I have a question about the "Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2".
What is it for, is it an adapter to speed up transfer to/from a Memory Stick/Flash Drive?
Thanks,
Bob

No, it allows you to (temporarily) connect an IDE/SATA hard drive to a USB port to perform data recovery. It is sort of like an external drive enclosure without the actual enclosure.

boblink
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks Brew, in that case, I don't think I need it being that have an External Drive
Bob

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:40 am

boblink wrote:
Thanks Brew, in that case, I don't think I need it being that have an External Drive
Bob

Just to make sure we're clear on this: What that adapter is normally used for is to temporarily treat an internal drive as an external drive. So for example, if you want to try and recover data from your system drive before wiping it, connect the drive to the adapter and plug the USB cable of the adapter into another PC.

boblink
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for the clarification Brew.
Bob