Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Scythe USA no more?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:36 pm

I was looking up some HSF and as usual went on Scythe's site to see what they have. To my surprise I was greeted with this:
To Customers and Users
Scythe USA Inc. has been a supplier of Scythe products for the past several years. In November 2012, Scythe USA had to make a difficult decision to end its operations as a result of the closure of its parent company. We greatly appreciate your business and support over the years.

Sincerely,

Masahiro Sakai

CEO

A further search came up with this blog entry. So what does this mean? No more Scythe products in the USA? Will there still be imports? What will happen to prices? Will other vendors step up and give us equivalent products?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Scythe USA no more?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Crikey. I've bought a fair number of Scythe fans over the years. They were my go-to for fans between 3-5 years ago because they were reasonably priced but good quality, especially FDB bearing fans, and I haven't had to buy any fans since then. Now that I think about it, both my main PC and storage server have Scythe CPU heatsinks too.

Scythe Japan is still going though, so they weren't the parent company...Scythe USA was a distributor then? I'd like to know more about the corporate structure. There might be a new US distributor at some time I hope, but otherwise it's yet another case of the Japanese keeping all their cool stuff to themselves :P

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:17 pm

That's too bad. I hope another supplier comes along. I've owned numerous Scythe fans and a couple of their heatsinks too. Always worked well for me. I especially appreciated their Shuriken series, great performance given the small size, low noise and reasonable price.

Game_boy
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 pm

Farewell, Japanese coolers. Looks like Korean monitors finally won.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Washer wrote:
That's too bad. I hope another supplier comes along. I've owned numerous Scythe fans and a couple of their heatsinks too. Always worked well for me. I especially appreciated their Shuriken series, great performance given the small size, low noise and reasonable price.

That's exactly what I was looking at, a LP HSF with good cooling, plus a Slipstream fan to possibly replace my relatively loud 120mm one on the Hyper 212+. I do hope another supplier can step up. Looking at Scythe Japan's website they have a lot of goodies available that we DIY geeks will love to get our hands on.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Time to stock up on fans, the Kama flow2 900rpm is a great fan, low noise, low starting voltage.

GAH!!! Out of stock at NCIX !!!!!!

edit - discontinued at newegg, dammit, I wish I found out about this a lot earlier......sigh.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:51 pm

This makes me sad.

When I needed a new fan, I went straight to Scythe. Although I've lately been having my eye on those Noctura's...
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Hallucin8
Gerbil

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:55 pm

R.I.P. Scythe USA. Ninja, Ninja 2, Ninja Mini, and a bunch of random fans. Thanks for the good times.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:59 pm

I always had a soft spot for my old ridiculous sized Scythe Infinity.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:04 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
This makes me sad.

When I needed a new fan, I went straight to Scythe. Although I've lately been having my eye on those Noctura's...

Look into Noiseblocker, they are a German fan company. I went out on a limb and replaced one of my fans (Scythe actually) with one....and was pleasantly suprised. A bit pricy (but if you are looking at Noctura's you are already lookign at pricey) and quiet with high quality components. Just a thought!

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:13 pm

No more Gentle Typhoons?

No more S-Flex FDB fans?

I am sad. These two were tops for my various needs; nobody could touch them for quality. The Gentle Typhoons are an especially good design. I hope someone continues to source them from Scythe Japan.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

insulin_junkie72
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:15 pm

This was announced back on the tenth of September? Talk about falling through the cracks...

As a number of folks already have mentioned themselves, they were also my primary go-to company for reasonably priced, good performing coolers (Ninjas, Mugen 2) and fans (Slipstreams and S-Flexes).

I suppose it's a tribute to the quality of their products that I'm so out of the loop whose fans/coolers I would need to look at if I were to ever need/want replacements... I haven't needed to replace anything for quite some time.
Intel 4790K & Scythe Kotetsu | MSI Z97 PC Mate | 32GB DDR3L | Boot drive: Samsung 500GB 860EVO
Gigabyte GTX1060| Fractal Design R4 w/3x Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200 PWM | Corsair RM550x

continuum
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:23 pm

Doh! Noooooooo!! :(

Then again... I don't think it makes sense for me to stock up on these til I need them. Probably makes more sense to buy whatever's available when I do upgrade again. *sigh*

Resisting some Gentle Typhoons is hard, tho...

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 pm

continuum wrote:
Doh! Noooooooo!! :(

Then again... I don't think it makes sense for me to stock up on these til I need them. Probably makes more sense to buy whatever's available when I do upgrade again. *sigh*

Resisting some Gentle Typhoons is hard, tho...

Goodluck, they are pretty much out of stock anyway now.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:55 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
No more Gentle Typhoons?

No more S-Flex FDB fans?

I am sad. These two were tops for my various needs; nobody could touch them for quality. The Gentle Typhoons are an especially good design. I hope someone continues to source them from Scythe Japan.

Gentle Typhoons were rebadges or licensed production of some Nidec Servo fans anyway...someone else could come out with them pretty easily if they wanted to.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:36 am

Good design, serious QC issues.

I once ordered 18 of their Shuriken Rev.B coolers and ended up replacing all 18 fans.
ALL OF THEM. I Googled, and it wasn't just me. If that was revision B, I'd hate to have seen revision A.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:05 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Good design, serious QC issues.

I once ordered 18 of their Shuriken Rev.B coolers and ended up replacing all 18 fans.
ALL OF THEM. I Googled, and it wasn't just me. If that was revision B, I'd hate to have seen revision A.

'B' does not necessarily stand for 'Better'...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 am

This does not sadden me. Scythes products have been very hit or miss. Just because it said Scythe on the box didn't mean you had something top notch.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:11 am

I'm sad to see them go...but at the same time my Scythe fan controller bit the dust when only running low-wattage fans (<10 watts per channel). Left a sour taste in my mouth for the company ever since.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:29 pm

To me, they seem to have products that are quiet enough but with good cfm. The S-Flex and Slipstream fans were great. And it is not as expensive and as unavailable (I mean lack of stores selling them) Noctua or even Noiseblocker. What happened to the Panaflos anyway?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:23 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
to possibly replace my relatively loud 120mm one on the Hyper 212+.
I've been thinking of doing exactly this, as that is the only fan I can hear if I try (my case fans -- NZXTs -- are all silent). Interested in whatever you end up picking, should you do so, or at least what you're considering now that Scythe isn't an option.

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:31 pm

flip-mode wrote:
This does not sadden me. Scythes products have been very hit or miss. Just because it said Scythe on the box didn't mean you had something top notch.

Yes, Scythe products are hit and miss. But I don't know a single company who your last sentence is true. Scythe USA also offered products like the S-FLEX model of fans and several of their heatsink lines that were unmatched when you considered their performance for their price.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:57 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
I've been thinking of doing exactly this, as that is the only fan I can hear if I try (my case fans -- NZXTs -- are all silent). Interested in whatever you end up picking, should you do so, or at least what you're considering now that Scythe isn't an option.

I had my eye on the Slipstream medium speed model, which gives similar airflow with almost 8dBA lower noise.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:01 pm

Washer wrote:
flip-mode wrote:

Yes, Scythe products are hit and miss. But I don't know a single company who your last sentence is true.
I nominate Noctua.

Flying Fox wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

I had my eye on the Slipstream medium speed model, which gives similar airflow with almost 8dBA lower noise.

I was pretty unhappy with the fan that shipped with the Hyper 212 EVO. Replaced it with a Noctua fan. I'm happy with the Noctua fan.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:08 pm

flip-mode wrote:
I was pretty unhappy with the fan that shipped with the Hyper 212 EVO. Replaced it with a Noctua fan. I'm happy with the Noctua fan.
Which Noctua fan? The PWM 120mm one, or one of the others?

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:48 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
flip-mode wrote:
Which Noctua fan? The PWM 120mm one, or one of the others?

The model I have is the NF-P12.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:55 pm

I have the same noctua fans, when plugged into my gigabyte mobo with fan speed control enabled, they would not spin up due. The kama2 900rpm fans have no issue starting at that low voltage.

Hopefully Noctua works on the starting voltage for their fans, I have 4 of them collecting dust :(
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:54 am

anotherengineer wrote:
I have the same noctua fans, when plugged into my gigabyte mobo with fan speed control enabled, they would not spin up due. The kama2 900rpm fans have no issue starting at that low voltage.

Hopefully Noctua works on the starting voltage for their fans, I have 4 of them collecting dust :(

I have them plugged into my Gigabyte mobo with fan speed control enabled (not as nice as Asus' fan speed controls, of course) and they spin up fine. The fans do come with two different resistors for setting the fan's speed in the absence of BIOS controls, and you should definitely make sure that you're not using one of the resistors and BIOS control at the same time. I made that mistake. Honestly, I don't know how long it took me to realize that my HSF was not spinning, but one day I opened the case and put my hand on the Hyper 212 Evo and it was SCALDING hot - the ENTIRE heatsink. I'm really surprised my computer neither shut down or cook itself, because it was that hot. Anyway, I took of the resistor and let my BIOS do the work and everything works fine. I think :o :lol: :wink:

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:17 am

flip-mode wrote:
I nominate Noctua.

I would disagree. Not every Noctua product is great, some are merely good and other's very average (especially with price in consideration). You can spend as much for a full heatsink + fan assembly that's 95% of a Noctua for the price of some of their fans. :roll:

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:02 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
LoneWolf15 wrote:
No more Gentle Typhoons?

No more S-Flex FDB fans?

Gentle Typhoons were rebadges or licensed production of some Nidec Servo fans anyway...someone else could come out with them pretty easily if they wanted to.

It doesn't mean they will, though.

I agree with others that not all Scythe products are good. I chose Lamptron for my fan controller as I heard a lot of negative things about Scythe's quality control, and my Lamptron has been great. However, those two lines of fans were the best 120mm models I could get my hands on. I'm glad they last a long time; I have Gentle Typhoons and S-Flex fans in my desktop (Typhoons for case fans, S-Flex as push/pull for my Thermalright TRUE Black heatsink), and S-Flex fans in the wife's case (much better than the Lian Li fans that came with it). Combination of good airflow, low noise, and long-life bearings.

I especially hope that someone markets the Nidec fans again; I thought the blade design was nicely done, and the fans are well-balanced and just last.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD