Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

HTPC Issues...

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:04 am

Getting into the fun of HTPCs... seems like right after I solve one problem, another one appears...

The issue I'm having now is strange (at least to me).. The HTPC works fine when it's running. The problem comes when the machine goes to sleep. It doesn't wake up at all. The power indicator light flashes like it's sleeping, but I can't wake it with the power button. I haven't tried with a keyboard or mouse yet (that's the next step). The power and reset buttons on the case have no effect, and I have to flip the power supply switch. Now comes the really weird part.. I wait 10-15 seconds for the power light to turn off (I'm guessing capacitors discharging), then flip the PSU switch back on, and the system comes up as if it were sleeping. Now the wireless keyboard works, and wakes it up into where the device went to sleep (usually WMC and/or Netflix). When it comes up, there is no screen indicating that it did a warm or cold reboot, or is resuming from hibernate, etc.

I had turned off windows and AMD driver updating after my last set of issues with this setup.

Here is what I'm running:
Silverstone Milo case
Asus F1A75-M PRO mobo
AMD A6-5400 APU
8GB Kingston Memory

Any thoughts or suggestions? As far as I can tell, the power switch works fine when the machine isn't in sleep.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: HTPC Issues...

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:33 am

Standard first question for weird power management issues: This system is UEFI, not BIOS; but that noted, have you verified that your motherboard is running the latest UEFI firmware, and have you verified that all of the UEFI settings are configured to allow "normal" sleep-mode behavior?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

druidcent
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:49 am

I updated the BIOS once to resolve other issues. I haven't updated since.. I should also clarify, that the power button was working fine as a wake from sleep option until about 2 weeks ago. Other than moving the entire setup between rooms, nothing has changed.

Palek
Gerbil

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:19 am

If your system comes back to the same state you left it in after a complete power outage, then it was in hibernation, not sleep. Depending on your actual power configuration, Windows 7 will transfer from sleep state to hibernation after a set time period.

I had the same thing happen with my PC after I manually enabled hibernate (it was not available by default). Once my PC transferred from sleep state to hibernation it was impossible to bring it back up unless I turned off the PSU for 10-15 seconds, and then back on again, just like in your case.

Try to disable hibernation in power management (under detailed settings), or if that does not work, disable hibernate altogether from the console and see if that solves your issue. (Disable: "powercfg.exe /hibernate off", enable: "powercfg.exe /hibernate on") Of course this is not a real fix because your HTPC will not be able to use hibernation but it's better than having to switch your PSU off and on again.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:23 am

I had this exact issue running AMD's Beta 12.11 Catalysts a couple of months back.

It happened without fail, since my home-office PC sleeps and also supports Wake On Lan so that I can wake it up from work using Logmein. It went from being 100% reliable (no crash since being built) to locking up every single day whilst I was at work.
I obviously tried all the usual diagnostics; MemTested, Furmarked, Crystal Diskmarked and Prime95'ed it but it wasn't a stability issue. Remembering I was on the betas, I rolled back to the 12.10 WHQL version of the catalysts and the problem was fixed.

I wonder if the issue they had with those betas has snuck into the driver you're using for your Trinity. Assuming you're running release drivers, uninstall them and revert to the "Standard VGA Adapter" before setting your sleep to 10 minutes to see if it happens again.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

druidcent
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:06 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
I had this exact issue running AMD's Beta 12.11 Catalysts a couple of months back.

It happened without fail, since my home-office PC sleeps and also supports Wake On Lan so that I can wake it up from work using Logmein. It went from being 100% reliable (no crash since being built) to locking up every single day whilst I was at work.
I obviously tried all the usual diagnostics; MemTested, Furmarked, Crystal Diskmarked and Prime95'ed it but it wasn't a stability issue. Remembering I was on the betas, I rolled back to the 12.10 WHQL version of the catalysts and the problem was fixed.

I wonder if the issue they had with those betas has snuck into the driver you're using for your Trinity. Assuming you're running release drivers, uninstall them and revert to the "Standard VGA Adapter" before setting your sleep to 10 minutes to see if it happens again.

Thanks.. I'm using Llano, but I think I updated to 12.11 (it may have been 12.10).. I thought they were release, so let me try rolling back one.. :P