Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Vinceant
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

CliSecureRT.DLL

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Ok, so long story short is I'm missing that dll and am unable to use my keyboard software. I can't find anywhere on the net to download it, and zboard.exe will not load without it. Reinstalling the program fails to remedy the problem, so I'm at a loss.

Long story is that I was doing some routine maintenance on my computer, which includes some virus and malware scans, and hitmanpro told me that dll was suspicious, it was in the temp folder so I figured, "well, it probably isn't, but it's in the temp folder so if it's important enough, the program will likely just put it back so I'll delete it". Bad idea. Really bad idea. Yeah, hitmanpro then needed to restart the computer, subsequently BSOD'd my machine (that's likely because it's not fully win 8 compatible), and upon next boot, I get a zboard.exe error complaining about the lack of that dll. Reinstalling the program, as I have stated, doesn't fix it. Tried system restore (though was not hopeful for that one) to no avail. I'm stuck.

So yeah, I dunno what kind of boneheaded software engineer decided that keeping a file that is mission critical, and cannot be regenerated, in the temp folder was a good idea, but he deserves a few slaps about now.

Anyway, if anybody here has a zboard or any of it's cousins, could you please let me know and possibly give me a copy of this stupid dll? Or if you have a good idea of how to
Vae victus.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: CliSecureRT.DLL

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:05 pm

This sounds like wreckage from a malware infection to me. My guess is that the DLL actually *was* malicious (probably a keylogger), and had hooked itself into the system in such a way that its removal broke things.

Googling the DLL yields a few hits saying it is benign, and others saying that it is malware. The location (temp folder) is what makes me extremely suspicious -- legitimate software should not install DLL components there.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vinceant
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Entirely possible. Question is, how do I now basically reset the zboard software without completely wipe and reloading?
Vae victus.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:26 pm

You could try running a different malware removal tool like Malwarebytes to see if it is able to clean things up.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

PhilipMcc
Gerbil First Class

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:39 pm

If that file is necessary, are you able to install the s/w on another computer? Then copy the file to the original PC. The fact that it resided in Temp makes me suspicious. I had a virus that attached to my USB keyboard driver. Other user accounts on the same PC were not affected.

Vinceant
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:45 pm

PhilipMcc wrote:
If that file is necessary, are you able to install the s/w on another computer? Then copy the file to the original PC. The fact that it resided in Temp makes me suspicious. I had a virus that attached to my USB keyboard driver. Other user accounts on the same PC were not affected.

This is a great idea. Gave me a real facepalm and a "why didn't I think of that?!" I'll try it on my laptop. I guess that'll be the true test, eh?

Performing a full scan with Malwarebytes returned no results, but I have little faith in that program over Hitmanpro, honestly. D7 and Hitmanpro are my best friends when it comes to malware.
Vae victus.

Vinceant
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Sure enough, that did the trick. Looks like this is a legit file, but may be a target for malware infections. Oddly enough, when I went to go put the file back, I was greeted by a preexisting dll of the same name in the appropriate folder. I renamed it just in case, then put in the fresh one and poof, it started working.

So yeah, why in the heck is a legit, mission critical file in the temp folder? -_-
Vae victus.