Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Omniman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

All PC vs All Apple Organizations

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:50 pm

I'm just curious as I have only ever worked in an all PC organizational environment. I know many factors have to be tossed around because of what software is being used. Out of personal experience would you say PC environments or Apple ones seem to operate better?
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: All PC vs All Apple Organizations

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:23 pm

I suspect (but have no hard evidence) that the organizations which work the best are the ones that choose the OS for each system based on what the system is used for rather than a blanket "we are a Microsoft IT organization" or "we are an Apple IT organization" decree.

My workplace uses mostly MS Windows, but we also have several Linux users, and a lone Apple fanatic who insists on doing nearly everything on his iPad. Server infrastructure is pretty evenly split between Windows and Linux. All things considered, I'd say things run reasonably smoothly. Most of the IT-related pain isn't really platform-specific, it is more due to general stupidity...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:26 pm

I'll echo most of what JBI said. It's generally not the platform that causes the issues, but rather the users.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:08 pm

I've worked in environments that have been mixed. The most whining occurs when people want/need a particular program that is platform-specific. Then you get the whole "why do they get another machine" issue, unless its just a matter of running a VM on a Mac. If we could run OSX in a VM on a PC as easily as Windows runs in a VM on a Mac, it'd be perfect.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:22 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
I've worked in environments that have been mixed. The most whining occurs when people want/need a particular program that is platform-specific. Then you get the whole "why do they get another machine" issue, unless its just a matter of running a VM on a Mac. If we could run OSX in a VM on a PC as easily as Windows runs in a VM on a Mac, it'd be perfect.

You /can/ run OSX on Windows in a VM, and I do, but it's of questionable legality at best.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:24 pm

TheEmrys wrote:

Yes, VMs really do make heterogeneous environments less of an issue than they used to be. Some of our Windows users run Linux VMs, and all of our Linux users run Windows VMs to deal with the situations where we need to do something that isn't handled well by our native desktop OS. As long as you've got enough RAM and a CPU with hardware virtualization support you're good to go.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:31 pm

As long as you've got enough RAM and a CPU with hardware virtualization support you're good to go.

Are VM now supporting GPU compute?

Just curious. Seems like quite a few programs are utilizing the GPU accelerations. If the trend continues, I wonder how long before users demand it in A VM.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:39 pm

mdk77777 wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. DirectX/OpenGL acceleration is getting there though, so I imagine GPU compute will come eventually.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:24 pm

I'm guessing you meant Windows vs OS X. Don't forget about Linux.

In my office vSphere is our rock - tons of Linux server VMs hosted all over the world. OS X for the clients.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:53 pm

mdk77777 wrote:
Just curious. Seems like quite a few programs are utilizing the GPU accelerations. If the trend continues, I wonder how long before users demand it in A VM.

I remember an article here on TR about virtual emulation of graphical acceleration. I don't think it's ready yet, but it's coming.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:19 pm

Darkmage wrote:
I remember an article here on TR about virtual emulation of graphical acceleration. I don't think it's ready yet, but it's coming.

Acceleration of DirectX/OpenGL is already here (though not very mature). GPU compute side that is further behind AFAIK...