Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Spec4
Gerbil
Topic Author

Hankerin' to shoot something...

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:12 pm

So I've been taking a rest from the shooter genre and have been getting the itch to come back and would like some recommendations for a good multiplayer. I prefer something along the lines of MOH Allied Assault or the original Call of Duty mulitplayer where you can choose from a list of servers and join the one you choose. I cannot stand the lobby system that seem prevalent in the new games.

TIA
JB
ASRock Z87 Extreme 4|i5-4670K|GTX 770|Seasonic 660W |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - OS | Corsair 16GB | Z-5300e | 2408WFP | Win10 Lumia 950 | Malibal Lotus P150EM....GO HAWKS!!

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Hankerin' to shoot something...

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:57 pm

Really I have been having a difficult time finding a good shooter myself. The ones I have fallen upon are probably CS:GO and Blacklight Revolution. I tried Planetside 2 out, but it doesn't seem to be what you are looking for nor have the fit and finish that I enjoy in a game. CoD and Battlefield series have both changed for the worse, but if you have to choose one try Battlefield. Call of Duty has been an arcade mess for a while, and BF3 just started to move the genre towards the same feeling. I also liked Red Orchestra 2 but it's realistic feel can make some people disinterested. Goodluck!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:35 pm

StuG wrote:
Really I have been having a difficult time finding a good shooter myself. The ones I have fallen upon are probably CS:GO and Blacklight Revolution. I tried Planetside 2 out, but it doesn't seem to be what you are looking for nor have the fit and finish that I enjoy in a game. CoD and Battlefield series have both changed for the worse, but if you have to choose one try Battlefield. Call of Duty has been an arcade mess for a while, and BF3 just started to move the genre towards the same feeling. I also liked Red Orchestra 2 but it's realistic feel can make some people disinterested. Goodluck!

BF3 is the same arcadey-ness as BF:BC2 had, and it's no BF2- but that makes it fun in different ways. We're always recruiting, if you're looking for someone to play with.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:44 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
StuG wrote:

BF3 is the same arcadey-ness as BF:BC2 had, and it's no BF2- but that makes it fun in different ways. We're always recruiting, if you're looking for someone to play with.

I wish I could agree with this, but it feels a considerable amount different than BF:BC2. I liked that game, it wasn't realistic but it had the right feel for movement/shooting. BF3 screwed with all of this in ways that I find undesirable. How the recoil works, how running and navigation overall feel, and the balancing of the game has been changed considerably in a way that I would just suggest to stay away from. I looked forward to BF3, and I was extremely let down. Many people I know share this sentiment.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 am

I can definitely understand it felt different; the learning curve from BF:BC2 to BF3 was almost as bad for me as it was from CS:S to BF:BC2, but I also did it during BF3's beta. In any case, it's steep, and if it's not the game for you, sorry :). No other game does what it does.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:08 am

Natural Selection 2 :)
Farcry 3 :)
CS:GO

Have tried Planetside 2... didn't feal meaty enough. Waiting for BF2342/2143 or whatever to get my futuristic warfare fix.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:42 am

Airmantharp wrote:
I can definitely understand it felt different; the learning curve from BF:BC2 to BF3 was almost as bad for me as it was from CS:S to BF:BC2, but I also did it during BF3's beta. In any case, it's steep, and if it's not the game for you, sorry :). No other game does what it does.

This ^^

No matter what ones sentiments are about BF2, etc, there really isnt anything out there that to the above. Personally, I came in late with 2142 and then started playing bf2, so I really dont have the nostalgia going for me, so I happily transitioned over to BC2 when that came out. Although I miss 2142 a whole lot because I felt the game modes there were more fun to play then bf2. Although Each game through the series has had their up and downs. And bf3 certainly has it's ups and downs too. Recon has never been so useless from an offensive point of view for instance, but it's still a pretty unique experience that has it's place compared to any other so called military shooters out there.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:33 am

I personally wanted a game I could just drop in and have fun with...like TF2 pre-cash shop...

I'm trying Ravaged since I got it for $5 during the Autumn sale. I think it's only $10 normally? (at work currently)

But I would like to hear other suggestions as well. I like the team objective games with multiple classes.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:44 am

superjawes wrote:
But I would like to hear other suggestions as well. I like the team objective games with multiple classes.

Natural Selection 2......
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:03 pm

superjawes wrote:
I personally wanted a game I could just drop in and have fun with...like TF2 pre-cash shop...

I'm trying Ravaged since I got it for $5 during the Autumn sale. I think it's only $10 normally? (at work currently)

It's not a shooter but you could look into Chivalry?

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:09 pm

I'll throw in another vote for CS:GO. It's very good in its own right. Source is of course outdated and a little buggy on the hit detection, but it's still CS and it's still among the best shooters gameplay wise. You probably won't like COD or BF3 based on what you said, and I haven't really tried many other shooters. If you don't mind going against AI's instead of real people (and dealing with the "work" involved with an RPG), Borderlands 2 (and the original if you haven't played it) is an EXCELLENT game. One that keeps on giving, too.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

superjawes

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:21 am

StuG wrote:
It's not a shooter but you could look into Chivalry?
I am looking to actually shoot something (had very few shooters lately), but it looks fun. Might check again when winter sale rolls around.

Natural Selection 2 also looks like a good candidate. I would really like to have a free weekend for that one.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:23 am

Got Max Payne 3 on Steam over the Black Friday sale and it's really good. It's not the same as Max 1 and 2, but there's still plenty to shoot and lots of style in between. Plus it looks great and runs well on midrange to budget systems. The system in the OP's signature should handle it totally maxed out. Mine does and I have less.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LostCat

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:34 pm

I like BF3 from what I've played but when you run into maps claiming to be 'noob friendly' with squads of spawn campers it's a little off-putting.

Gotham City Impostors is suitably hilarious. Where else can you launch heat seeking parrots at people or truck around in rollerskates? (Both are optional, of course.)

The F2P version on Steam, anyway. If you have the (deprecated) GfWL version you can enter your key in Steam for bonuses to the other version.
Meow.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Savyg wrote:
I like BF3 from what I've played but when you run into maps claiming to be 'noob friendly' with squads of spawn campers it's a little off-putting.

Gotham City Impostors is suitably hilarious. Where else can you launch heat seeking parrots at people or truck around in rollerskates? (Both are optional, of course.)

The F2P version on Steam, anyway. If you have the (deprecated) GfWL version you can enter your key in Steam for bonuses to the other version.

BF3 (and all BF games) are surprisingly frustrating for those unwilling to adapt their strategies, something we all do from time to time. In a game last night I managed to incur frustration by controlling an area with claymores and an LSAT (very nice machine gun). My strategy could have been mitigated quickly by any number of tactics employed by only a single player from the opposition, yet I was able to keep using it for the whole round.

Like most games, if you're getting your butt kicked, change your strategy :).

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Yeah, one almost allpowerful trick is to just smoke and rush together with some grenade and m320 he spam, especially in rush mode. But no, people just want to camp back and loose the round... It's instantly visable once just one or perhaps two squads know what they are doing. Then you either do the same or get overrun. As it should be.

LostCat

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:14 am

Airmantharp wrote:
BF3 (and all BF games) are surprisingly frustrating for those unwilling to adapt their strategies, something we all do from time to time. In a game last night I managed to incur frustration by controlling an area with claymores and an LSAT (very nice machine gun). My strategy could have been mitigated quickly by any number of tactics employed by only a single player from the opposition, yet I was able to keep using it for the whole round.

Like most games, if you're getting your butt kicked, change your strategy :).

I just started playing. I'm not that flexible.

I know maybe one map well-ish enough to do some damage.
Meow.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Savyg wrote:
I just started playing. I'm not that flexible.

I know maybe one map well-ish enough to do some damage.

The one cardinal rule of Battlefield is that you will die. Often. And more than other people seem to do. Even if you're winning.

That said, practice means perfect, and there is just gobs of craziness available when weapons and basic tactics are properly employed.

LostCat

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
The one cardinal rule of Battlefield is that you will die. Often. And more than other people seem to do. Even if you're winning.

That said, practice means perfect, and there is just gobs of craziness available when weapons and basic tactics are properly employed.

I just don't like the open field maps that much. Give me a reasonable semblance of a corridor and I can do some damage.

And of course the shotgun shells I was using sucked and I didn't realize it'd have that much impact. What does 'suppression' even do? I dunno.

(Naturally as a shotgunner I draw a whole lot of attention to myself too, but I'm sure I'll get proper weapons eventually.)

Also pretty sure I saw you online at some point, so if you see SavagePaladin try not to giggle too much when you kill him.
Meow.

Spec4
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:35 pm

Okay I couldn't decide on any of the suggestions, so I went out and got Black Ops 2. I thought it would be fairly recognizable, given I've been playing earlier versions of the franchise. The gameplay is fine, minus the hackers, but now I remember how much I absolutely hate the multi-player lobby system. I mean it's absurd the wait times between matches, because people jump in and out which restarts the timer, ugh. Anyways thanks everybody for the suggestions and maybe I'll pick up another shooter after the holidays to compare.
ASRock Z87 Extreme 4|i5-4670K|GTX 770|Seasonic 660W |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - OS | Corsair 16GB | Z-5300e | 2408WFP | Win10 Lumia 950 | Malibal Lotus P150EM....GO HAWKS!!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Spec4 wrote:
Okay I couldn't decide on any of the suggestions, so I went out and got Black Ops 2. I thought it would be fairly recognizable, given I've been playing earlier versions of the franchise. The gameplay is fine, minus the hackers, but now I remember how much I absolutely hate the multi-player lobby system. I mean it's absurd the wait times between matches, because people jump in and out which restarts the timer, ugh. Anyways thanks everybody for the suggestions and maybe I'll pick up another shooter after the holidays to compare.

That sounds horrific- I've stayed away from CoD primarily because Activision keeps the prices high, but I don't think I could invest time into a game that requires the use of lobbies. While BF3/MoH may not be everyone's cup of tea, I think that DICE/EA have done a good job with the Battlelog system with respect to accessibility. If servers are set up right, the lag time between matches is also very quick.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:54 am

Spec4 wrote:

Planetside 2 is Free-2-Play and on steam. Just give it a whirl. Will be extremely different to COD.

Tribes Ascend is also F2P. I'd play both before COD anyday.

FormCode
Gerbil

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:10 am

I hope I'm not late to the party. I can wholeheartedly recommend Tribes:Ascend as well. It plays completely different than anything I've played before. Sure it takes a while to get used to it but, darn it, it's fun ! Also you can jump in a game in 2 clicks, you just have to choose a game mode and it finds a match for you. Give it a whirl, free 2 play on Steam.
Core i3 3220, Gigabyte H61MA-D3V, 2x4 GB Kingston 1333Mhz, Sapphire HD6790, WD 6400AAKS, Sony 5240S DVD-WR, Mushkin EP-400AP, Antec Mini P180, Microlab Solo 6c, Razer Salmosa, Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:28 am

Tribes: Ascend - Stopped playing due to "flavor of the month" pay 2 win weapons. (which slowly turned the game into Halo/CoD with ski'ing)
BF3 - Similar feelings as people here, the game just doesn't "feel" right. Also the graphics while amazing, don't see to "fit" with each other, everything feels disjointed, no unified art direction or something
BFBC2 - I have 900 hours in this game. I loved it. I was expecting BF3 to keep the same feel, but it didn't. My only complaint with BC2 was the lack of wide open maps. If I could have BF3's (good) maps and BC2's gameplay, I'd be sold.
Far Cry 3 - Decent game but got old fast
Borderlands 2 - Although it didn't have the DLC's included, my bro bought it for me for X-mas off the steam sale. It is a major improvement on the original, once you get mid-level. At first the gunplay is frustrating, but at ~25 it opens up and variety of weapons gets good. The humor of the game is a bit childish, but I happen to be a man-child, so I'm ok with it. Oh, and the multiplayer Co-Op actually works this time around.
Halo 4 - I have played only about 1 hour of this, but it felt like the most solid of the console exclusive games out this season. My cousin (who is primarily a console guy) rates it high.
Blops2 - No. The zombie mode is fun, but not worth the price tag.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:11 am

lilbuddhaman wrote:
BF3 - Similar feelings as people here, the game just doesn't "feel" right. Also the graphics while amazing, don't see to "fit" with each other, everything feels disjointed, no unified art direction or something

Actually, the damn unified art direction and overdone colorgrading is one of the biggest low points of the game, and this is the disturbing part since they went with art direction before listening to the fans. And I would say that "feel right" is actually somewhat disimilar from what me and other described of the game and not, similar.

All is of course different opinions, yours and mine, but I just take a tiny bit of offense of having words attributed to what a general mass of people said, when those words clearly wasnt there from the start.