Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Far Cry 3 - any way to start without Uload?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:27 pm

OK. So I spring for the deluxe edition, open it up - and am faced with a lot of crap.

This is my first exposure to Uload (a euphemism for sure!).

I restart and even though I've unchecked the start in offline mode box - I am asked for log in info.

Any of you with more skills than I have know of any workarounds?

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Far Cry 3 - any way to start without Uload?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:41 pm

EDIT BY MOD - Captain Ned - Rule #1 violation.

I don't care how much people here might hate Ubisoft DRM. Any attempt to give instructions will result in the same post edit.

Thanks for listening.

my edit: I never attempted to give instructions on torrenting, nor did I tell him how to get it. If discussing piracy IN ANY FORM IS BANNED, I guess I missed that. Am I forbidden to mention that somolia also has pirates? I can appreciate that we don't condone or link to piracy, however I don't feel I did that. Obviously, you're the mod, and its your call, but I think you might have jumped the gun.
Last edited by sweatshopking on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Honestly, with crap like that in the retail box, I'd be tempted to return it and never play it. The *********** is the way forwards if you can't live without FarCry3.

Whilst I don't condone piracy, Ubisoft is one publisher that REALLY SHOULD KNOW BETTER. Their DRM systems are internationally infamous for being detrimental to the health of the industry as a whole.

Pissing off your legitimate customers is a horrific business model that deserves NO SYMPATHY.
Vote with your wallet by ensuring they don't get any of its contents.
Last edited by Captain Ned on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule #1 violation. Discussing cracks is one thing, pointing the way is a violation.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 pm

I got Far Cry 3 free with my newly purchased 7870 Ghz card. Downloaded the game and started it up. First thing, a 2.7GB update! Ok, fine, I log into this silly UPlay thing (I had an account, must have been from when I still bought Splinter Cell) and it doesn't see my Far Cry 3 game. Wonder if I can hook it up through Steam...

*edit* Nope, the Ubisoft CD key doesn't work with Steam.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:12 pm

OK, in four posts two posted the name of a Rule #1-violating crack. If the S/N ratio doesn't improve we're done here.

Capisce??
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 pm

so, just being "civil", one of those supposed cracks also had a note mentioning "to stop certain online features being displayed, since they are unusable anyways" mentions adding -offline to you shortcut to the game from logging on to it's online features. I have not personally tested it myself, but it is something built in. Also, I believe I read that simply disabling your internet connection will allow you to play without those things activated....but that is a ridiculous step to play a game without the annoyances.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 pm

Free speech. Gotta love it. NOW PICK UP THAT CAN.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:58 pm

I'm with you Capt. Ned - I was not looking for a freebie dl. I have paid for the product.

It does seem like a real double dip between Steam and Uload.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:38 pm

ordskiweicz wrote:
I'm with you Capt. Ned - I was not looking for a freebie dl. I have paid for the product.

It does seem like a real double dip between Steam and Uload.

Glad to hear.

That said, I am so far behind the gaming scene that I can't offer much help.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:34 am

In uPlay click the settings button and then select "start uPlay in offline mode". uPlay will still run everytime but it won't contact the servers while you play potentially causing hangs / CTDs.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

l33t-g4m3r

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:34 am

Does offline mode require you to set up an account and install background services to run the game? If either of these is yes, then I won't be installing it. Still haven't bought BF3, and I'm not going to until it's playable without origin.

My question to the publishers is this: Do you want my money or don't you? I can easily do without purchasing your games.

The most aggravating thing is that Far Cry 3 is available over steam. So that means I have to install uplay/uload along with already having steam. That's pretty annoying.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 pm

You do seem to have to create an account even if you don't use any online features or start it in offline mode.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Latest FC3 patch supposedly kills these, at least that's what the shortbread from today says, can't go to link at work.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

LostCat

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:12 am

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
Does offline mode require you to set up an account and install background services to run the game? If either of these is yes, then I won't be installing it. Still haven't bought BF3, and I'm not going to until it's playable without origin.

My question to the publishers is this: Do you want my money or don't you? I can easily do without purchasing your games.

The most aggravating thing is that Far Cry 3 is available over steam. So that means I have to install uplay/uload along with already having steam. That's pretty annoying.

I find it funny that you guys let Steam get away with the very thing you're holding against everyone else.

...though I suppose that topic's been done to death at this point.
Meow.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:22 am

Savyg wrote:
I find it funny that you guys let Steam get away with the very thing you're holding against everyone else.

You're right, However, also runs ONTOP and RIGHT BESIDE Steam! These asshats make you log into Steam then Uplay to play the game. (Although I have to admit that I always have Steam running and I havent tried to launch FC3 through just UPlay) I mean just Pick Steam and be done with it.

Nevertheless, FC3 is pretty darn fun! Its going to feed my completionist complex till the New Year.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

LostCat

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:42 pm

No, not really. Valve makes you run Steam every time you want to play the game. Ubisoft just makes you run Uplay.
Meow.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:16 am

Savyg wrote:
No, not really. Valve makes you run Steam every time you want to play the game. Ubisoft just makes you run Uplay.

You miss the point. Yes Valve makes you run Steam to play However, to play Farcry3 you must run Steam AND Uplay. (that is if you bought the Steam version) There really is no reason to run both. Both are designed with DRM in mind and running both in the background is just plain stupid. I shouldnt have to log in twice to play one game. If your going to offer a game on Steam then publishers should be forced to only use its DRM control method and not add another layer to it. Dumb, really.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

LostCat

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:53 pm

tanker27 wrote:
You miss the point. Yes Valve makes you run Steam to play However, to play Farcry3 you must run Steam AND Uplay. (that is if you bought the Steam version) There really is no reason to run both. Both are designed with DRM in mind and running both in the background is just plain stupid. I shouldnt have to log in twice to play one game. If your going to offer a game on Steam then publishers should be forced to only use its DRM control method and not add another layer to it. Dumb, really.

I didn't miss the point. I simply felt like pointing out that Ubisoft is not the evil overlord they're often made out to be. Valve is the only one forcing you to run their client for everyone elses games.

If they only want to publish patches and achievements and such to their own system rather than several different systems for retail, digital services, and direct, I'd say that makes sense. Practically the only time I really dislike it is with GfWL, since I don't know anyone who would actually claim that even works in the first place.
Meow.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:40 pm

i'd like it if none of them ran. let steam be a download service, and a store, and then let me run with out steam, uplay, origin, etc.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:35 am

Savyg wrote:
I didn't miss the point. I simply felt like pointing out that Ubisoft is not the evil overlord they're often made out to be. Valve is the only one forcing you to run their client for everyone elses games.

They're not? How could this be? If they weren't then why make me log into another program after I have logged into Steam? How can you let that get a pass?

Valve and Steam have become a staple and have matured enough to were running Steam is moot, unless of course if your running it on a 486 with a turbo button. If you're going to have some sort of DRM scheme then only one is needed. I prefer Steam but I do have Origin installed and have used it. Point is, if Ubisoft wanted to make sure they wanted DRM control of their product they should have gone the route that EA did, pull all their games from Steam and just use Uplay. But since they realize that they would lose a portion of the PC gaming audience they didnt do that instead opting for making another layer on top of Steam, another password I have to use and memorize, another platform I may or may not use after I finish FC3, and another platform that pales in comparison to Steam in the features department.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

LostCat

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:47 pm

tanker27 wrote:
They're not? How could this be? If they weren't then why make me log into another program after I have logged into Steam? How can you let that get a pass?

Obviously, because they're NOT making you run Steam at all.

But I already said that, so clearly this discussion is going nowhere.
Meow.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:03 pm

Savyg wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

Obviously, because they're NOT making you run Steam at all.

Yes they are!

I bought the game from Steam. When I double click my shortcut, without either Steam and Uplay running, both launch prompting me to log in. Whether Ubisoft realizes this or not, its how Steam games work. Thus I have two programs running in the background. Sure I could set FC3 to offline mode (or circumvent it with some hack) but then I lose the benefits of Steam. I shouldnt have to do either. My gaming rig is always connected and running. Again YOU missed the point the first time.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

LostCat

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:12 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Yes they are!

I bought the game from Steam. When I double click my shortcut, without either Steam and Uplay running, both launch prompting me to log in. Whether Ubisoft realizes this or not, its how Steam games work. Thus I have two programs running in the background. Sure I could set FC3 to offline mode (or circumvent it with some hack) but then I lose the benefits of Steam. I shouldnt have to do either. My gaming rig is always connected and running. Again YOU missed the point the first time.

We're obviously not arguing the same point. Ubisoft is not making you run Steam. They'd be perfectly happy if you didn't have to run Steam at all.

You choose to support a system with unnecessary restrictions. Your call.
Meow.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:02 pm

You're right, It is my call and my call says that once I am done with FC3 no more Ubisoft games until they get their head out of their @$$. Just like what I have done with EA. Fine you want to compete then dont bring a half baked solution into the mix, give me at least what Steam offers and then some then I will consider future offerings.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Thank you for telling me not to buy Far Cry 3 because I had almost considered purchasing it.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:17 pm

danny e. wrote:
Thank you for telling me not to buy Far Cry 3 because I had almost considered purchasing it.

What he said.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:21 am

Beyond the Uplay frustration, Its actually a very good game. Lots to do, lots of hidden things. But if I had of known about Uplay beforehand I probably wouldnt have made the purchase. I guess Assassins Creed III uses Uplay too, I was hoping to pick that up during the Steam Christmas sale but I guess I will have to give it a pass.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

LostCat

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:54 am

tanker27 wrote:
Beyond the Uplay frustration, Its actually a very good game. Lots to do, lots of hidden things. But if I had of known about Uplay beforehand I probably wouldnt have made the purchase. I guess Assassins Creed III uses Uplay too, I was hoping to pick that up during the Steam Christmas sale but I guess I will have to give it a pass.

I've played every AC before it and I haven't given it a lot of time yet, but I'm not that fond of AC3 yet.
Meow.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 am

danny e. wrote:

Hopefully in 6 months it will have uPlay removed and be on a steam sale for under $10. :)
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

LostCat

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Prestige Worldwide wrote:
Hopefully in 6 months it will have uPlay removed and be on a steam sale for under $10. :)

Keep dreamin, maybe in six months you'll have an army of clones too.
Meow.