Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

jack.gibson
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Windows 8 Multi Monitor Support

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:53 am

Hi Guys,

Can some with Windows 8 test something out for me? I currently have my main system running as both my gaming/work system and HTPC through an AV Receiver (DVI & HDMI, extended desktop).

Under Windows 7 they apparently made changes to the TMM functionality which means you cant turn off the automatic detection of display changes. As a result every time I turn on or off the TV my main desktop will flash a couple of times and end up with the all windows being all squashed in the top left corner of the screen. This is becoming very annoying as I cant find a solution to the problem.

I am running on AMD 6950 with the 12.10 drivers. There has been some talk of Nvidia users not having this issue so I can't say for sure if its a Windows or driver problem.

Could someone on Windows 8 with multi monitors test out what happens when they turn off / unplug the second display.

Cheers,
Jack

onlysublime
Gerbil

Re: Windows 8 Multi Monitor Support

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you asking if the main display flashes and messes up the windows when a secondary display is turned off?

I have a 3 monitor display with Windows 8. When I turn off one of the displays, nothing is affected on the other 2 monitors. I'm running AMD HD4670 and AMD HD4200. I'm using the default ATI drivers included with Windows 8 with the latest Catalyst support software (though not the latest Catalyst driver since there's a major bug with the drivers).

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Re: Windows 8 Multi Monitor Support

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:55 pm

it is the AV reciever... the video card would detect it was disconnected when turned off.
A regular monitor would still be detected as there.

Not sure about the behaviour you are asking but that would be the reason for what you see.