Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

onlysublime
Gerbil
Topic Author

can mouse be rescued??? button keeps double-clicking!

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:32 pm

I have a trackball that I dearly love (the Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0). I thought about buying a replacement but they don't make them any more and it goes for $100+ on Ebay for used ones.

The button started double-clicking a lot of the times now. It's almost unusable. I haven't done anything to the mouse. The button's not sticking. It's not dirty. I opened it up to see if the button was sticking or dirty and it's not. Smooth clicking motion like always. It hasn't been dropped.

I remapped one of the other buttons as the default button and that's a decent workaround but it feels funny to left-click with the right button.

It's funny but way back when, an office was getting rid of a lot of hardware so I saw this, never-used trackball, and decided to pick it up as a backup for when a mouse died (to be used until the next mouse could come in the mail). And ended up loving it so much, my mice sit in drawers.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: can mouse be rescued??? button keeps double-clicking!

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:39 pm

Switches eventually wear out.

You *might* be able to replace the switch if you are handy with a soldering iron and can find the exact same switch on a site like Digi-Key.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:42 pm

If you're prepared to do some soldering a microswitch replacement is a pretty easy undertaking.

The hard part is going to be finding a suitable replacement. If you open up your trackball's casing you may be able to read markings on the defective microswitch and google an exact replacement, otherwise you'll want to source a SPST NO equivalent (single pole, single throw, normally open button/plunger activated microswitch)

Mouser and RS sell these in the UK, I think you have both of those stateside too.

The most common sort of terminators for these switches is a quick-connect pin pair. If you can't find an exact match then you might have more luck looking for a generic quick-connect switch like these and then soldering one pin into the original contact and another pin to a wire which you can route into the other original contact. Assuming you want stablilty a healthy dose of superglue on the bottom and some hot-melt glue around the sides should keep it in place as firmly as the original was with solder.

Oooh, the E-switch website actually has loads more than I can get hold of in the UK. I'm sure you'll find something suitable here
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Even though I would recommend a Logitech optical trackball, you can find a replacement Microsoft one here.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

onlysublime
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:57 pm

thanks so much for the responses! very much appreciated.

I do have a soldering iron somewhere (my brother left it behind), but I've never used one before. So I cut the solder and then solder in the new switch? Is this a tricky process? How much is solder? Actually, I can google that part... :P

I'll open the trackball and see if I can see the microswitch model. Thanks for the links!

onlysublime
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:02 pm

riviera74 wrote:
Even though I would recommend a Logitech optical trackball, you can find a replacement Microsoft one here.

I thought and am still seriously considering the Trackball M570... I just wish buttons 3 and 4 were located like on the Microsoft one. In a firefight, it's much easier to hit the correct button with the Microsoft one. You just push your finger out in that direction and you hit it.

I'm not sure about buying a used trackball anymore. what if I get one where the microswitch is about to die again? the amazon link was helpful since there are a couple sellers selling it for below $100.

anyone have personal experience with the M570?

but if I can manage finding and installing the microswitch, I'll try that. that sounds like an interesting project that's not too much of a stretch for my neophyte skills.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:03 pm

You might have missed the most common cause of this - double check your options that you have turned off double click to open.

In win7 open the "computer" window > organize > folder and search options > "click item as follows" section > be sure the bullet is on double click to open.

This option hearkens back to win95c and win98 with the ability to view the desktop as a webpage. (idiotic thing to go and do, but some people want to operate windows like a mac)
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

onlysublime
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:08 pm

yes, I checked the mouse settings and everything appears normal. thanks for the response! :D

I even tried the bandaid of changing the double-click speed to try to compensate for the button but that just led to more problems. Right now, I'm using my backup mice until I figure out what to do about the trackball.

onlysublime
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:26 pm

alright, I popped open the trackball and here's what I see... It makes me awfully nervous..

button 3, no text labels

If I'm going to do this, I'll replace at least 2 buttons (labeled in the picture as 1) left mouse button and 2) button 3). Now, with what you guys are seeing, is this something a beginner can do?
Last edited by onlysublime on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Once you find the proper part it's just an easy solder-suck to get the old part out and a quick solder of the new part. The key is the right part. If anyone has it, it'll be DigiKey.

www.digikey.com
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:41 pm

onlysublime wrote:
If I'm going to do this, I'll replace at least 2 buttons. Now, with what you guys are seeing, is this something a beginner can do?

If you've never used a soldering iron before, it may not go well. I guess you need to decide whether it is worth possibly trashing it to get it fully functional again, given that you already have a workaround that is allowing you to use it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "replace at least 2 buttons". I can't tell where the 2nd picture is in relation to the 1st.

For what it's worth, here's the product listing for the exact replacement switch: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omr ... 52b3ETk%3d

If you don't know someone you can borrow soldering/desoldering tools from this will cost you a bit in equipment as well, but you don't need anything fancy for a job like this. Cheapo soldering equipment from Radio Shack is entirely adequate (I even use a crappy Radio Shack soldering iron to recap motherboards).

Edit: Cap'n, I checked Digi-Key already and they only sell that switch in quantity 500! Mouser has it in single unit quantity.

brute
Gerbil

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:45 pm

i had the same problem with a mouse. pull it apart and clean off the top of the switch. that did it for me

onlysublime
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:47 pm

I fixed the pics! sorry for the mistake! In addition to the left mouse button, my button 4 has failed (I have to really press hard for it to register). So I thought that if I'm going to go to the trouble of replacing one switch, might as well replace more.

yes, I checked the digikey link and it's crazy that they're expecting lots of 500!

if there's no label for buttons 3 or 4, what's the best way of finding out what switches to buy?

I'll try the cleaning tip but it clicks just as smooth as always (actually the left mouse button clicks slightly looser and more easily than the right mouse button) and the top of the button looks clean.
Last edited by onlysublime on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:51 pm

Which button is malfunctioning? If only the left button has gone bad you don't need to replace #s 3 or 4.

Yeah, Digi-Key is weird with quantities sometimes. Some stuff is available in single unit quantities, while other stuff is only by the case!

onlysublime
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:56 pm

button 4 is almost dead. I have to press really hard to get it to register. But I learned to live without it because it was for some little functions, depending on the application.

left mouse button, of course, is critical.

I'm willing to tinker because right now, the trackball is kind of dead to me. I'm having to map my left clicks to the right mouse button and my right clicks to button 3. which is really weird. I thought of mapping the left clicks to button 3 but it's kind of a weird feel, if that makes sense.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:01 pm

No visible markings anywhere on those other switches, eh? Bummer. There might be markings on the underside, but you would need to unsolder it first to check.

Absent any markings, you're reduced to wading through product listings and comparing the pictures and measurements in the spec sheets looking for a match. That's going to seriously suck, and probably isn't worth it.

onlysublime
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:11 pm

if that's the case, I'll just forget those buttons.

the left and right ones are the most important anyway.

now time to google how to solder suck... that just sounds so wrong.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:36 pm

onlysublime wrote:
now time to google how to solder suck... that just sounds so wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Sol ... B0002KRAAG

onlysublime
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:41 pm

is that solder sucking tool a one time use kind of thing?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:08 am

onlysublime wrote:

The pumps are multiple-use. Desoldering braid is a single-use thing, but much cheaper.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062744

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:30 am

Captain Ned wrote:
onlysublime wrote:

The pumps are multiple-use. Desoldering braid is a single-use thing, but much cheaper.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062744

Just to clarify: It is single-use in the sense that it is a consumable; but one spool of it will literally last you years if all you're using it for is the occasional desoldering of small components like mouse microswitches. That spool in the picture is probably enough to desolder the switches on at least a couple dozen mice...

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:44 am

I actually prefer using the copper or aluminum ribbon type desolder.

I seem to be able to suck up more of the solder and get into nooks and crannies with it.

Unfortunately it is single us only. :(

You may be able to check on ebay and amazon for the switches as well though the price is usually inflated a bit because they are cutting up a large lot.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:50 am

Aranarth wrote:
You may be able to check on ebay and amazon for the switches as well though the price is usually inflated a bit because they are cutting up a large lot.

Mouser's price is only $1.41 each; even if he orders three of them (left, right, and a spare), the shipping is likely to be more than the cost of the switches.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:11 am

Before taking it apart, try putting a single drop of machine oil onto the little microswitch and then clicking it a few times to let the oil soak in.

My Razer Deathadder mouse had that problem within a year of purchase but after I oiled all the switches, it hasn't had a problem in years.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:13 am

ChronoReverse wrote:
Before taking it apart, try putting a single drop of machine oil onto the little microswitch and then clicking it a few times to let the oil soak in.

My Razer Deathadder mouse had that problem within a year of purchase but after I oiled all the switches, it hasn't had a problem in years.

Great idea! If the switches are going bad anyway, there's nothing to lose and this is potentially a much easier and cheaper solution than swapping out the switches.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:59 am

just brew it! wrote:
ChronoReverse wrote:

Great idea! If the switches are going bad anyway, there's nothing to lose and this is potentially a much easier and cheaper solution than swapping out the switches.

That actually sounds...brilliant.

I have some guesses as to why this would work, but if nothing else, you're going to have to open a mouse to replace the switches anyway, so you don't lose anything by trying it.

Only one question, though, what kind of oil do you mean? I Googled "machine oil" and got a lot of "sewing machine oil" results. How specific does the oil need to be?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:56 am

I'm guessing any light penetrating oil is probably about as good as any other for this experiment. Sewing machine oil certainly fits the bill. The "3-in-1" stuff they sell at the hardware should be OK too.

One caveat: Petroleum products can damage certain plastics, so try to keep it confined to the switch plunger. If it damages the switch that's no biggie since the switch is dying anyway; but try to keep it off the other plastic parts of the mouse.

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I'm guessing any light penetrating oil is probably about as good as any other for this experiment. Sewing machine oil certainly fits the bill. The "3-in-1" stuff they sell at the hardware should be OK too.

One caveat: Petroleum products can damage certain plastics, so try to keep it confined to the switch plunger. If it damages the switch that's no biggie since the switch is dying anyway; but try to keep it off the other plastic parts of the mouse.

Does WD40 fit the description?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:21 pm

morphine wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Does WD40 fit the description?

Sounds like it. You might have to be careful of spraying plastic components, but it fits the penetrating oil criteria and will probably last for some time.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:53 pm

WD40 is good, and so is motor oil or olive oil when you have nothing to lose. It may actually work if it succeeds in displacing other dirt. In general, though, a dirty, oxidized or greasy electrical contact is unreliable. For proper cleaning you'd need something like this. It contains solvents and some thin oil that eventually evaporates.

My Logitech trackball (T-BC21, the symmetrical one) occasionally does double click on its own, too, or interrupts a drag-and-drop exactly where it shouldn't, or does nothing when clicked. It does that for a day and then it's perfect for weeks. I have the cleaner mentioned above and will try to use it next time but right now there's just no need.