Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

RIP Klipsch v2-400

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:54 pm

After so many years, my Klipsch v2-400 set is gone. I noticed the sub was having trouble, so I peered under the grill at the driver, and couldn't believe it: the driver itself had holes in it and the seams were torn! I pulled the grill off to confirm, and it looked so pitiful... If I turn the sub down it sounds okay, but this set was my home theater system. It still sounds great, but the bass is all but gone.

How much do I have to spend to replace this with a 5.1 system of equal capability in music and movies?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: RIP Klipsch v2-400

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:55 am

Damn- I'm still (almost) regretting selling a set to a friend. Bought them originally when they were still shipping in brown boxes to CompUSA (no retail packaging!) and they're still in use! My Promedia 2.1's though? That sub has been dead a long time.

If you're going to replace them properly, you know the drill- a decent 7.1 HDMI receiver and hand-picked towers/bookshelves all-around. I made do with a Yamaha receiver, a pair of towers, and Klipsh's HT500 set. Far louder than my apartment can handle.

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:33 am

Sucks man, have you contemplated replacing the woofer? With those older v2-400 the the sub should connect to the control board via crimp style connectors.(Like on a car speaker) I think size is 6.5, not any will do, but you may be able to find one close to specs. As for replacing system you want an actual HT system it's going to get pricey for decent quality. If you wanted simple plug and play with plenty of goodies the Logitech Z906. If you are set on a HT system, what are your connections needed? Satellite, Bluetooth, Wifi? Also do you want floor standing or bookshelf for speakers? Does appearance matter? There are literally hundreds of different combinations that are now open with a HT option. I'd suggest checking out Crutchfield as a start to comparing brands, they generally have mid-higher end products. Also some Best Buys have a sound room with expensive towers, so check them out to get a feel of what you are going to need. If you wanted a 5.1 speaker set designed together, I'd suggest checking out the brand Energy, Polk, Yamaha, and Klipsch.
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

Mr. Bamboo Head
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:37 am

you might want to try calling Klipsch; my 5.1's wired remote died a few years back. they forwarded me to their repair center and they seemed to have parts for everything. though by the time you fix it, its probably most of the cost of a new set.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
If you're going to replace them properly, you know the drill- a decent 7.1 HDMI receiver and hand-picked towers/bookshelves all-around. I made do with a Yamaha receiver, a pair of towers, and Klipsh's HT500 set. Far louder than my apartment can handle.

^^ This.
After I relised I had my full old home theater available I retired my Videologic Sirocco Crossfires (the main competitor to Promedias) and just went with the RX-V2600, some energy center/surrounds and a pair of B&W 685 for mains. Works way better. Actually used a B&W ASW750 sub for a while... and boy, that made battlefield really shine, but the soft-start or something in that conked out on me. So it just sits broken on the floor now.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:10 pm

I was afraid I'd have to go the HT route to equal the V2-400's. Time to start looking into some of these suggestions, but it'll be some time before I save up enough.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:40 am

Be sure and take a look at refurb receivers. You can find good quality stuff for a fraction of the MSRP.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

AbRASiON

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:01 am

Klipsch have known reliability issues. I was considering a set of PC based Klipsch speakers nearly a DECADE ago and recall being scared off from reliability concerns on nerd forums - here we are a decade later, still going on.

If you're PC gaming for the long haul, you need to buy a 5.1 / 7.1 home theatre receiver, used or new - your choice, ideally a reasonable brand though and not a brand new, ultra cheap, ultra light one. I'm using a Yamaha RXV-540 for my PC, I previously had a Pioneer VSX D711 If I recall.

Then add 2/4/4.1/5/5.1 speakers to the system (I use 4.0 as I live in an apartment block) once you've used "real" decent bookshelf speakers and an amp, you'll never ever go back to "PC speakers" again- and the cost isn't that prohibitive to be honest. Much much much better audio quality and it's all upgradable individually - much like the PC's we love.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:13 am

Definitely check with Klipsch service center. I lost the control pod to my 5.1's while moving, and was able to order a replacement a few years ago. They've been going strong ever since.