Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX

Enclosures, modding, blowholes, and the power needed to run it all.

Moderators: Nemesis, SpotTheCat

Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX

Postposted on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Any PSU experts care to shed some light on this PSU Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX. It is claimed to be the first digitally controlled unit. It uses Digital Signal Processing, from what I have learned back in school DSP is essential in mobile communications because it allows to dynamically change parameters of frequency filters. How does it all translate into a good PSU?
Last edited by michael_d on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Core i7 960 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1.5TB HD | Asus GTX Titan | Dell WFP 3008 30" 2560x1600 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
michael_d
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:42 pm

Re: Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX

Postposted on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:35 pm

You can read a review over at JonnyGuru...the founder of which has now gone to work for Corsair after being between jobs for awhile.

In short, the advantage is active rather than passive voltage regulation. With all digital, you can set, adjust and monitor the voltage regulation, rather than depending on the predetermined design of the hardware to do it for you.

How important is this to you? Depends on how much you OC, how dynamic your loads,(4 OC graphics cards in addition to an OC water cooled CPU) etc. etc.

If I was building a 4P system using GPU compute...I would certainly consider it.

For your average gaming system...a little overkill. :wink:
mdk77777
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Re: Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX

Postposted on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:49 pm

i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1714
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX

Postposted on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 am

mdk77777 wrote:You can read a review over at JonnyGuru...the founder of which has now gone to work for Corsair after being between jobs for awhile.

In short, the advantage is active rather than passive voltage regulation. With all digital, you can set, adjust and monitor the voltage regulation, rather than depending on the predetermined design of the hardware to do it for you.

How important is this to you? Depends on how much you OC, how dynamic your loads,(4 OC graphics cards in addition to an OC water cooled CPU) etc. etc.

If I was building a 4P system using GPU compute...I would certainly consider it.

For your average gaming system...a little overkill. :wink:
I figured it was just a really nice power supply and that the corsair link and bundled software was just an expensive gimmick tacked on.
I was actually thinking of getting myself an AX760 for my next build, but maybe I should consider getting the "i" branded product for $30 more.

I dunno though...like you said it may be overkill.
Intel Core i7-875K, Asus P7P55D-E Pro, Win 7 Home Premium
MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3-1333, Corsair TX650
Cooler Master Hyper 212+, Logitech Z-2300, ASUS Xonar DX
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, Dell Ultrasharp U2410, Antec P183
DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX

Postposted on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:33 am

michael_d wrote:... It uses Digital Signal Processing, from what I have learned back in school DSP is essential in mobile communications because it allows to dynamically change parameters of frequency filters. How does it all translate into a good PSU?

In broader terms, DSP just means you're modeling or measuring an analog quantity using digital values, and performing calculations on those values.

A typical switching regulator has an analog feedback loop that compares the output voltage with an internal reference, and varies the width of the output pulses of the switcher to compensate for variations in input voltage or load.

A "digital" switching regulator feeds the output voltage into an analog-to-digital converter and implements the feedback and control loop digitally, using a special-purpose DSP, FPGA, or microprocessor.

Either way, the quality of voltage regulation is only as good as the design of the regulator, the quality of the components used, and the DSP algorithms (for digital). Digital isn't *inherently* better, but it allows additional control and monitoring options to be implemented easily in the DSP code (the "Corsair Link" functionality).

DeadOfKnight wrote:I dunno though...like you said it may be overkill.

For 99.9% of desktop PC users, a 1200 watt, $350 PSU is overkill by definition!
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37978
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX

Postposted on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:44 am

just brew it! wrote:For 99.9% of desktop PC users, a 1200 watt, $350 PSU is overkill by definition!

Definitely, but there are new models out now. AX760, AX860, AX760i, and AX860i. All are platunum rated PSUs.

The non-i branded ones are made by Seasonic and don't feature the DSP. The i-series are made by Flextronics.
Intel Core i7-875K, Asus P7P55D-E Pro, Win 7 Home Premium
MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3-1333, Corsair TX650
Cooler Master Hyper 212+, Logitech Z-2300, ASUS Xonar DX
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, Dell Ultrasharp U2410, Antec P183
DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 1:20 pm


Return to Cases and Power Supplies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest