Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

WSUS 3.0 issues

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:42 am

Hi all,

I just got thrown into a project to repair a WSUS server that has a corrupted database:

- Master server plus 7 replicas (geographically spread across country)
- using included MSDE 2005
- db on master is currently 7.3gb in size

Last person who attempted to administer this turned on updates for all products and classifications, so is downloaded about
30,000 updates, after which the replicas could not sync.
I've tried all the included cleaning tools, and have also manually declined all the non-needed updates.

Is there a way to back up all the settings (computer groups, etc..), but install a new database?

my google-fu is failing me!
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: WSUS 3.0 issues

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:55 am

One of ours broke for no good reason; Some kind of SQL engine screwup....

I tried various self-repair tools, googled some of the "hey try this" fixes and failed. It wouldn't even restore from a partial backup properly (possibly because it's a server role now, rather than a standalone product) so I just installed WSUS on another server and changed the WSUS source to the new server in AD. All machines were happy within a couple of days or so, since WSUS really is one of the easiest, hand-holdiest things I've had to configure in a while.

One day I'll rebuild the original WSUS server but it's not doing any harm to the other roles so I'm sticking to the "ain't broke, won't fix it" principle.

Is there a way to back up all the settings (computer groups, etc..), but install a new database?

It depends how it was initially configured. If it was set to use AD groups to sort/filter updates for connected clients then there's nothing to backup (unless your AD groups are shot, in which case you have far bigger problems than WSUS). If it was managed from within the WSUS web-interface then I can't remember how to help you, but I don't think WSUS 3.0 allows you to do this (I'm probably thinking back at least five years now).
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:05 pm

I don't know how relevant this is, but it might be useful info.

http://simultaneouspancakes.com/Lessons ... p-process/

Gotta work on doing this for our WSUS sometime. Ahhhh, WSUS.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:31 pm

I'll give that script a try, thanks for the link.

Right now, I am waiting for confirmation that the server is backed up, in which case I'll restore a copy of the db, deploy my December patches, then plan for an overhaul of the system.

If there's no backup (yeah its a PROD server, don't get me started!), then I have to rebuild from scratch, which will not be fun at all. I don't think its managed via AD.
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO