dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:26 am

notfred wrote:Nope, that's Hoot-n-Holler, which doesn't need a dial. What Ned has is a proper pulse tone dialling phone to plug in to an FXS POTS line. The big problem with them is the REN (to drive the solenoid hammering the bell) sucks.

Yup. On a traditional phone line, the ringing signal is 90 volts AC because it had to be capable of providing enough power to drive a hefty electromechanical ringer through a long run of thin (24 gauge IIRC) wire. REN (ringer equivalence number) determines how many phones you can connect to the same line and still have them all ring; connect too many old phones to the line and the current draw of the ringers and resistive losses in the wiring will prevent any of them from ringing.

Edit: And of course, this means that the base station of your modern cordless phone needs to have a circuit in it that can detect the presence of 90 VAC on the line, and turn that into a transmitted "ring" packet in whatever digital protocol it is using to talk to the handsets. All in the name of staying backward compatible with phones that were built well before our parents were born!
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:12 am

i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm moving to New Zealand in 11 weeks.

Yikes.
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport
annabel

Postposted on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:56 pm

annabel wrote:I'm moving to New Zealand in 11 weeks.

Yikes.

Be prepared to see Hobbitses on your 1 & 2 pound coins.

Been too long since you've been here Bel. We male lot missed your touch.

EDIT: $1NZ and $2NZ coins. NZ dropped the pound for the dollar in 1967.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:59 pm

Clearly I'm moving to NZ solely to find a hobbit.

I'm always around when needed ;)

Anyway in NZ wanna buy me an ice cream? :D
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
annabel

Postposted on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:16 am

For permanent? Wow! Post pictures of the landscapes, please!
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:35 am

Vrock wrote:For permanent? Wow! Post pictures of the landscapes, please!

I'm not sure if I'll stay forever, but certainly for the next year or two. Slightly scary. I can't wait to explore the landscapes and nature. I was in the Alps a few months ago and that was amazing and I'm ready for more :D
annabel

Postposted on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:11 am

just brew it! wrote:Yup. On a traditional phone line, the ringing signal is 90 volts AC because it had to be capable of providing enough power to drive a hefty electromechanical ringer through a long run of thin (24 gauge IIRC) wire.
Leading to the dog barks before the telephone rings tales.

Bel - have fun in NZ. I've never been but it sounds awesome. I did the move from UK to Canada, initially just temporary but liked it so much I came back permanently. From the sounds of it the UK has been going down hill since I left 13 years ago.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:15 am

So Google Now is coming to Chrome. Pretty cool if you ask me.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu ... ?id=164227
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack

Postposted on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:21 am

notfred wrote:
just brew it! wrote:Yup. On a traditional phone line, the ringing signal is 90 volts AC because it had to be capable of providing enough power to drive a hefty electromechanical ringer through a long run of thin (24 gauge IIRC) wire.
Leading to the dog barks before the telephone rings tales.

I've taken a hit ot rwo of ring current and it's not pleasant.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:31 am

Captain Ned wrote:I've taken a hit ot rwo of ring current and it's not pleasant.

Kaluha in the coffee this morning?
DancinJack

Postposted on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:20 am

DancinJack wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:I've taken a hit ot rwo of ring current and it's not pleasant.
Kaluha in the coffee this morning?

No, just the bad luck to be working on phone wiring when someone calls the house. It won't kill you, but it definitely gets your complete and undivided attention. Looking at the ringer assembly in my "new" phone, I understand the need to push so much current out on those 24ga wires.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:46 am

Yikes.

Wow, very cool. Good luck!
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:49 pm

One of the nice things about living in Chicago is ready access to Goose Island products
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:36 pm

idchafee wrote:One of the nice things about living in Chicago is ready access to Goose Island products

Too bad the quality seems to be somewhat variable now that they've been bought out.

I'm really looking forward to the opening of Lagunitas' Chicago facility next year.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:27 pm

Just finished Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle and find myself wanting to do nothing more than grab Cryptonomicon off the shelf and reread it straight through to find all the linkages I didn't remember when reading the Baroque Cycle. Not sure when I'll ever find the time to get to Reamde.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:16 am

Read Anathem first. Between it and REAMDE it becomes very clear just what Enoch Root actually is.
Glorious
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Well I've accepted an offer to be an Engineer in downtown Boston.

Boston gerbils, get at me.
DancinJack

Postposted on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:36 pm

DancinJack wrote:Well I've accepted an offer to be an Engineer in downtown Boston.

Boston gerbils, get at me.
Congrats!
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 pm

An entire day lapse in dymt? Unheard of. Suppose its as good a time as any to join in. Maybe I'll attempt to read it all........... :o
icoltsfan94
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Yay...I have no idea what to get the wife for Christmas.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Dizik wrote:Yay...I have no idea what to get the wife for Christmas.

Didn't you move to Austin? Get some delicious local food and cook her something. At least that'll take care of part of it.
DancinJack

Postposted on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:04 pm

DancinJack wrote:Didn't you move to Austin? Get some delicious local food and cook her something. At least that'll take care of part of it.
I had to move back to Oklahoma since we couldn't sell our house.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Books.

My parents kept asking me what I wanted for Christmas, and I couldn't think of anything. Then I finally remembered that books are pretty great gifts because they're actually something you can gift, and it's something people don't think about often enough.
Being an adult doesn't mean you have to know what you're doing. It just means you have to look like you know what you're doing.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:22 pm

superjawes wrote:

Books.

My parents kept asking me what I wanted for Christmas, and I couldn't think of anything. Then I finally remembered that books are pretty great gifts because they're actually something you can gift, and it's something people don't think about often enough.

Books are a wonderful and sadly often overlooked gift. I received Steve Job's Biography for Christmas last year and it was one of my favorite (and most used) gifts. :)
icoltsfan94
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:50 am

The wife doesn't read much, so books would be a waste of money.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a good team trivia board game? I guess it doesn't have to be team, since we can just make teams instead of all playing individually, but the team aspect is something we like.

Just for reference, everyone playing is a college grad. Philosophy, Biology, Psychology, Graphic Design, Law, Physics, and a few more. Only reason I say that is because we'd like something that is at least a little challenging. Doesn't have to be off the wall hard, but none of those "family" games will work that well most likely.

Help!
DancinJack

Postposted on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:31 pm

DancinJack wrote:Does anyone have a good suggestion for a good team trivia board game? I guess it doesn't have to be team, since we can just make teams instead of all playing individually, but the team aspect is something we like.

Just for reference, everyone playing is a college grad. Philosophy, Biology, Psychology, Graphic Design, Law, Physics, and a few more. Only reason I say that is because we'd like something that is at least a little challenging. Doesn't have to be off the wall hard, but none of those "family" games will work that well most likely.

Check out Bezzerwizzer, I've played it a few times among a group of mixed professionals with a long history in strategy gaming, and I think it meets your requirements. Question difficulty varies, but some will definitely have you scratching for a while. The removal of the usual "luck of the dice" and addition of a strategy element using round-based gameplay with the action tiles throws a novel twist into the gameplay dynamic.

Thirty bucks at Target, or $15 at Amazon.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Depends how strict your definition of "Trivia Game" is. I would highly recommend "Wits and Wagers." The great thing about Wits and Wagers is that players who aren't great at trivia still have a decent shot.

Basically, you answer trivia questions, which have a numerical answer. You write down your answer on a card, which is then placed in ascending order with other answers on a mat. Players then wager on which of the answers is the correct answer with different answers having a higher payoff if they're farther from median.

It's a great party game and a good trivia game. It won a ton of awards when it came out a few years ago. Check it out.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Sapphire Radeon 6950
TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks guys!
DancinJack

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch