Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Possible speaker upgrade

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:16 pm

I have been using an Altec Lansing ATP5 4.1 speaker setup for 11 years now, and wondering if there is anything out there that will sound as good or should I keep my old system. I dont want to spend a fortune for a new rig, just looking for what people are using for their own rigs and what is good and what is junk.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Possible speaker upgrade

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:13 pm

If the woofer in the sub module uses a paper cone or foam surround, you might check to see if there is evidence of deterioration. Otherwise, the only upgrade that's going to make a big difference, IMO, is to upgrade to a receiver and some decent-quality monitor speakers.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:51 pm

If you actually want quality analogue sound, get yourself a Xonar and a pair of quality stereo studio monitors. They're not the loudest things in the world but for a PC you're sitting right in front of, they should be plenty loud enough. Almost all X.1 setups suffer from a dead spot in between hissy treble and boomy bass; Getting a decent pair of monitors makes you realise just how much better all of your music sounds from something with a flat response curve.

If you just want positional gunfire and explosions that rumble your desk, then the ATP5 is no worse than any other set of half-decent PC speakers.

M-Audio powered monitors are decent - I stumbled upon some older BX8's cheap, but the BX5's are supposed to be very good for the money - you'll get proper kevlar/silk-dome speakers with good-quality amp circuitry and they'll be calibrated for flat response.
I've heard some Audioengine 2's in the flesh as well, and I was very impressed given the price and size, but they're not up to the sound quality of the larger units.

The main thing about getting studio monitors is that they mostly come with built-in amps, avoiding the need for a seperate amp. A studio monitor's built-in amp is not going to be as good as $800 amp+speakers seperates, but you need to be quite the audiophile to tell the difference; For most people (especially those dealing with compressed MP3 audio) you're well into the realms of diminishing returns if you want to move beyond studio monitors. Even a pair of A2's are significantly nicer to listen to than most "PC Speakers" which range from downright offensive to flawed, but in a way that at least adds character to the right sort of sounds.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:30 pm

I have heard good things about the audioengine 5+ speakers, however I don't own them or have heard them personally.

I use a headset, however the 5+ have been on my short list for quite awhile.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:38 pm

I recently got a pair of the Airmotiv 6's http://shop.emotivapro.com/

Completely. Blown. Away. They are too big for normal people to have on their desk, but I'm not normal :P Plus I use them as a sort of secondary stereo system for a mid-sized room in addition to desktop speakers by moving them to the edge of the desk. I'll get stands some time. Their full-range sound doesn't need a sub unless you're looking for palpable bass rumble. Anyway, they aren't cheap like computer speaker cheap but not terribly expensive - great value like all Emotiva stuff. If anyone is thinking of them, I would say the 5's are definitely more appropriately sized for a desktop system. And they are on sale this month :)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:43 pm

If you really like your existing speakers and the surrounds are shot, a quick visit to a reputable local hi-fi shop will end up with a source who can slice out the old surrounds and apply new ones that meet the original specs. Re-coning or re-surrounding speakers is nothing new and an everyday part of the biz.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:20 pm

If you want to keep a surround sound setup, then I would look into a HT style setup. That way you can pick and choose what sound, style, and budget that fits your needs. If you just want a 2.1 or 2 channel setup then there are multiple routes you can choose. There are the well known Corsair SP2500 if you want PC speakers. My desktop setup goes from desktop to mixer, to M-Audio Bx8a studio monitors. For my ears, they are night and day compared to my old z2300,must have be setup properly with a good source. It all depends on what you want to change with your speakers and what you use them for.
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:03 am

Captain Ned wrote:
If you really like your existing speakers and the surrounds are shot, a quick visit to a reputable local hi-fi shop will end up with a source who can slice out the old surrounds and apply new ones that meet the original specs. Re-coning or re-surrounding speakers is nothing new and an everyday part of the biz.

What he said. Just find someone that knows what he/she is doing.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:04 am

Nobody makes PC speakers like they used to :( Altec Lansing, which used to be one of my favorites, is now near-non-existent. Logitech has reduced the quality of even its top-end line. Klipsch is now a rarity.

What most folks are suggesting - bookshelf or larger / pro / home theater audio - is probably where you might be considering if you're thinking upgrading.

I personally have been looking at "upgrading" from PC speakers (I've owned Altec Lansing ADA305, Altec Lansing MX5021, Logitech Z-680, and Logitech Z-5300e). Specifically, I am looking at creating a "budget" setup, combining the following:

1 center channel with tweeter - haven't picked yet. ~$50-$100
1 pair Sony SS-5000 (R/L) - $150 total on Amazon
1 pair Sony SS-1000 (RR/LR) - $64 total on Amazon
1 woofer - haven't picked yet. ~$50-$100
1 AV receiver with optical, coax digital, as well as analog inputs ~$100-$200

Total will be around $411-$614, which is competitive with, for example, the current top-end set of Logitech Z906 at $340. Except MUCH LOUDER with better sound quality.

Food for thought :)
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:21 am

MadManOriginal wrote:

Completely. Blown. Away. They are too big for normal people to have on their desk, but I'm not normal :P Plus I use them as a sort of secondary stereo system for a mid-sized room in addition to desktop speakers by moving them to the edge of the desk. I'll get stands some time. Their full-range sound doesn't need a sub unless you're looking for palpable bass rumble. Anyway, they aren't cheap like computer speaker cheap but not terribly expensive - great value like all Emotiva stuff. If anyone is thinking of them, I would say the 5's are definitely more appropriately sized for a desktop system. And they are on sale this month :)

Just checked it out, looks good, nice they have the frequency curve also, however they do not say where they are manufactured or whether or not the caps are Japanese. (important stuff for good monitors)
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:11 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
MadManOriginal wrote:

Just checked it out, looks good, nice they have the frequency curve also, however they do not say where they are manufactured or whether or not the caps are Japanese. (important stuff for good monitors)

Where do you see the frequency curve? I can't even find the specs page. :oops:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:
MadManOriginal wrote:

Where do you see the frequency curve? I can't even find the specs page. :oops:

Here specs page, two tabs over is graphs: http://emotivapro.com/products/powered_ ... motiv4.php
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe