Memory for Socket 2011 Hex-Core CPU System

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:05 pm

I am looking for memory for this CPU/Motherboard combination:

CPU:
Intel Six-Core i7-3930K

Motherboard:
Asus P9X79 WS

Graphic Card:
HIS X AMD 7970 (It's HUGE and it supports up to 6 monitors!)

Memory:
Tentatively, I have chosen 64 GB of this memory. But the newegg page now says it's for Z77, and I'm buying an X79 based motherboard.

I'll be using the system as a DAW with (potentially) a lot of sound samples loaded into memory at a time. I'm also a bit of a geek, hence the choice of 64 GB RAM. Some games, some animation, office software and web editing; none of those will need that much memory. The system will be running Win 8 64 Bit, and with the exception of a few ancient VST instrument titles, all of my DAW software is 64 bit compliant, too.

I need some help choosing memory. I'd like good performance, and I'd like to keep it to $350 or less for 64 GB.

Your thoughts?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Memory for Socket 2011 Hex-Core CPU System

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Based on specs it ought to work, but it isn't on Asus' QVL for that motherboard. I see very few 8 GB modules on the QVL, so probably they just haven't gotten around to testing many 8 GB modules yet. Last update of the QVL is only a couple of weeks after the oldest customer review of those DIMMs on Newegg so I'm not surprised.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Does that mean I'll be taking my chances if I order it?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:41 pm

I heard issues with audio software and Windows 8. Are you sure you have tested all your line-of-business software?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
I heard issues with audio software and Windows 8. Are you sure you have tested all your line-of-business software?

What issues? This is the first I've heard of this.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:12 pm

It'll be fine.

I use six 4GB Vengeance 1866 models in my X79.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:30 pm

BIF wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

EDIT:

I just did a couple of Google searches and the only thing I have been able to uncover is an article about how Sonar works better under Win8, but the Metro interface is not conducive to audio. There was one forum post from somebody whos software all disappeared on Win 8; not applicable here. This sounds like a wacky, very esoteric issue associated with only one user's system; not something that gives me pause.

My own testing came out fine and I know others who also have no problems with Windows 8. I'm not worried about Windows 8 and Audio/MIDI applications.

I will be using a PreSonus Fire Studio Project (the same Firewire interface I use now) for Audio, and various USB MIDI gadgets. I expect no issues.

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
It'll be fine.

I use six 4GB Vengeance 1866 models in my X79.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

hhhoudini
Gerbil

Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:22 pm

I've got eight 8GB Vengeance of the 1600 low profile variety (CML16GX3M2A1600C1) in my P9X79 Pro. For some reason my brain took the following statement to read that with all 8 memory slots populated, you were limited to how fast you can push your memory. Reading it again now my understanding is a little different but that was why I bought 1600 vs. the 1866. So let me know how it works out. :)

From the Anandtech review of the P9X79 Pro;

By specification, population of 8 DIMMs should make a motherboard default to 1333 C9 speeds, while when only using 4 DIMMs should give 1600 C9.

My systems been up for a few months completely trouble free. Used the big Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler and I've never seen cpu temps reach 60 C. It is only a 3820 but I stuck three GTX 570's with 2.5GB on 'em to support GPU rendering in blender. I might pick up a 3930 depending on prices and how much overtime I get in the next little while.

Later,

harry

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:23 am

BIF wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

This the first one that I found in a search. It talked about interfacing with DAC's and stuff which is a little over my head:
http://www.thestreet.com/story/11762958 ... blems.html
The bottomline I think is you have to test the new OS with your own set of tools and make sure that they are compatible.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BIF
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:07 am

Okay, thanks for the followup there; much appreciated.

They're talking about USB DACs, and my interface, the aforementioned PreSonus FireStudio Project, is actually a firewire device.

I do have one USB audio/MIDI interface that I occasionally use with the laptop. That interface is an old Cakewalk-branded Edirol interface made by Roland/Edirol/Cakewalk. It's a USB device.

The USB DACs mentioned in the article were unfamiliar names to me. There may be a small possibility that this Cakewalk interface could contain a DAC by one of those makers.

The main system uses a firewire interface (I'm not planning to change that for at least a couple years), so I believe this issue does not apply. However, at some point the laptop will also be upgraded to Windows 8, so it may be smart to pre-test the Cakewalk interface on the new i7/Win8 system prior to upgrading the laptop.