Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

video file conversion software - mts

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:06 pm

So I bought a Panasonic HC-V500K at the Egg for a great price last week. Alas, the software is not compatible with Win 8 and even under compatibility settings doesn't install fully. Further, Win 8 wont recognize the device though its current. End of tale of woe.

I can copy the HD MTS file easily. I am looking for software to convert the MTS files to more convenient formats - especially .flc, mpg2, ect. for editing and sharing.

Would Handbrake do it?

What have you geeks found works well? Thanks.

kc77
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: video file conversion software - mts

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:56 am

Yes handbrake would work.
Core i7 920 @stock - 6GB OCZ Mem - Adaptec 5805 - 2 x Intel X25-M in RAID1 - 5 x Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB in RAID 6 - Nvidia GTX 460

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:58 am

Thanks Stuart - its is very flexible and has many options. Seems easier to use than Handbrake.

But the closing ads are annoying. On the other hand - its free.

Admin edit: Post you replied to (now deleted) appears to have been a spammer necro.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:43 am

My own preference is http://www.mediacoderhq.com/ which I've used to convert a number of files to save space.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:00 am

Hi Nano. When I go to the URL you provided all I find is adverts for other software.

Do you have one for the download of the media coder product you are recommending? Thanks.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:17 pm

At the risk of threadjacking, I'd like to ask: What's the status of GPU encoding?

Last I heard, most GPU encoding projects were either out of date, discontinued, stalled etc. Also, the extent of GPU encoding varied from as little as using the video decoder block to speed decode, to using the GPU for lookahead, to using fixed function units (cf Quicksync).

Anyone here keep up to date on this?
Wind, Sand and Stars.