Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wall Mountable Mini-ITX Cases?

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:22 pm

I've found a few options online, primarily on ebay and mini-itx.com. However none of them seem to be as fully featured as I had hoped. I was looking for something with normal power/reset buttons on the front, 2 usb ports and a built in power supply (50w-80w or so). Its going to be used to mount either an AMD E-series motherboard or a drop in socket Intel board with an i3 in it, nothing to high powered. Its also going to be mounted on the wall behind a TV that currently never gets placed flush against the wall.

Anyone use a case that fits this description that you can sing praises about? It seems like most of these types of cases aren't made by the usual players and I'd have to go with a foreign brand. Thanks for suggestions in advance.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Wall Mountable Mini-ITX Cases?

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:40 pm

You're looking at cases with VESA mounting holes, you mean? Any case with a metal bottom/back could be made wall mountable with a drill and some hardware.
But if you're just looking at a low-powered E-series or similar, have you considered a Zotac barebones which generally include support for VESA mounting? The Intel NUC reportedly has VESA mounting as well.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Just going to point out my thread about something sort of similar. I love the case, Antec ISK 110 VESA.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:30 pm

drfish wrote:
Just going to point out my thread about something sort of similar. I love the case, Antec ISK 110 VESA.

Yeah, you went overkill with that build in that case, it's 99% cooling solution and 1% other hardware, but I am rather fond of the whole Antec ISK series, not just the 110.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:19 pm

Here is one that my friend really likes.. especially for low intensity tasks:

Mini-Box

He's built with a couple of these for his parents and friends..

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Ya I saw the M350, looks interesting enough. But with the PICO PSU, you have to have an external power adapter, correct? I'm trying to minimize the need for a shelf of any sort for this unit, so an internal PSU like you see in the Silverstone cases would be ideal, a smaller one is fine.

I don't really like the ISK series. I've built many ITX systems in them, and my issue is that they make a lot of the stuff in them very cheaper. The paint for one can't not get swirl scratches ALL over it and even down to bare metal once from a slight rub to a wood desk. Even when put on my soft rubbery/foam mat on the work bench it shows signs of wear (and I'm careful), very lame if you ask me. They were the ISK-150 and ISK-300, disappointing all around. Plus the stands for them were next to useless.

I don't really need a VESA mount as this TV uses a 400x400 VESA mount, most of the cases mount to a 75x75 or 100x100. I'd rather screw this thing straight into the wall. Going to be using wireless keyboard and mouse for it.

I saw something like this... http://www.e-itx.com/travla-c294.html
But it looks like its going to limit me to lower and slower hardware, wouldn't imagine an Intel i3 socketed mobo would do to well in that.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:26 pm

But if it supports a VESA mount then you can use those attachment points to "screw the thing right into the wall."
It's true pretty much all of them have a wall-wart PSU, but that takes a heat-producing element out of the case which is generally a good thing when you're geting this compact. But if you're looking at things like that Travia, have you considered a 1U server case, with a rack attached to the wall?

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:30 pm

I've recently built a Mini-ITX system in this Silverstone case.

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/P ... 6811163209

It worked out great, but now looking at the limited (and horrible) options that are not offered for wall mountable with a Slimline player compatible or even with standard USB plugs and a power button, I'm considering building in something like this with a shelf on the wall. I mean, after all if I'm going to have a "Wall Wart", I may as well have a decent sized system case capable of handling the hardware.

Most of those wall mounted options look great for very low end, passive setups used as thin clients, not really an HTCP or TV based workstation.