Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Windows 8 Not Transferrable to a new system?

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:48 pm

So ideally, I will build my new computer and install Windows 8 and use it for years and years. But what if I need to install a new motherboard or CPU in a year or two (fritz, electrical, malfunction, etcetera)? This would flip the "new PC flag" in Windows 8, right?

I usually buy the "full version" of my OS, not upgrades; so that I can just avoid this issue. However, this time around with Windows 8, it appears that even the $139 version of Windows 8 Pro is locked to the system you install it on. I interpret that to mean that anytime you buy a motherboard, you need to also buy a new license of Windows 8; even if you are installing that new motherboard into your old system.

If I read this correctly and the $139 version is indeed locked to the hardware, then I'm not really getting any more value than I would with the $39 Upgrade, except that it would reduce the amount of stuff I have to do to initially install the newest OS. A one-time task, about an hour's worth of my time, as easy as building my new system, installing and activating one of my old XP, Vista, or Win 7 licenses on it, then upgrading it immediately to Windows 8. Or following one of the many "clean install" articles out there.

Your thoughts?

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: Windows 8 Not Transferrable to a new system?

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:47 pm

Microsoft has a new EULA for the OEM copies of 8 that allow the license to be transferable.

Link
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

BIF
Topic Author

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Right, I remember reading that article!

But even a search of the Newegg site with the terms "windows 8 personal use license" yields only the OEM versions and an edition of Server 2008 R2.

And the "disclaimer" on the Newegg product page (on the Details tab) does not go into this topic at all. Here's the forebodingly forebidding language (highlighting is mine):

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

So far I find much the same scenario on microsoft.com too. This feels like the start of a bait-and-switch tactic to me. Well, not really, that article was not from Microsoft per se. But it is like a bit of a tease. "Come on, just one hit of our software...don't worry, it's transferrable, honest!" :P :roll:

How do I ensure that I am protected under this "personal use" license/clause?

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:35 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Worst case is you have to call MS to activate. 'Have you installed this license on any other computers?' 'Nope.' 'OK, then here's your activation code...' I've only had to do that once in 10+ years of activated MS OSes and that was for Win XP OEM (which had much more strict hardware change tolerances) when I was forced to reinstall multiple times in less than a week because of dodgy hardware.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:40 pm

That same language appears in all OEM Windows licenses. I had a similar experience as Madman (was trying to avoid a proper nuke-from-orbit XP reinstall during a hardware upgrade and tripped WPA something like three times in two days, after which Windows forced me to call 1-800-Bangalore).

Here's another hint: buy the $39 Windows 8 digital download, then checkmark the options to go ahead and order backup media for $15+S&H. Your final cost ends up being about $60 and you now have pressed DVD media for archival use. They send both the 32-bit and 64-bit discs regardless of which one you downloaded.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

BIF
Topic Author

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:51 pm

Okay, that sounds fair. But by that token, I should be able to just use the upgrade. Or am I just confusing myself?

That was my initial response to MMO. But it appears that Ludi has already cleared up my self-confusion! I agree, I think ordering the pressed media is an excellent idea, even if this is the first software DVD I'll have ordered in the last two years and may well be the last one I ever order. End of an era!

Maybe I'll hang the box on the wall as art. :lol:

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:06 am

MadManOriginal wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Worst case is you have to call MS to activate. 'Have you installed this license on any other computers?' 'Nope.' 'OK, then here's your activation code...' I've only had to do that once in 10+ years of activated MS OSes and that was for Win XP OEM (which had much more strict hardware change tolerances) when I was forced to reinstall multiple times in less than a week because of dodgy hardware.

Funny, I had to do it twice in 3 weeks of Windows 8 usage on my laptop. It kept updating drivers silently right after install. I called, reactivated, all good. A week and a half later, Lenovo kicked out a firmware update that resolved a UEFI bug I was having. Despite it being a laptop with pretty much no removable/replaceable parts, I got to make the phone call again!

Even better? Two weeks after that (a week and change ago), my Win8 install just suddenly decided to make itself unusable. Not sure what happened, just got a new-style BSOD every boot. Used System Restore three times, with a further-back point each time, then attempted the "refresh my Windows" thing, only to have it fail with an obscure message relating to my original upgrade install.

Guess what? The disk image I made just before trying out Win8 got used. Laptop is in perfect working order again, despite Windows 8 providing a multitude of BSODs, including some specifically telling me I had failing hardware.

I am now officially giving Windows 8 a miss for this go-round. I have a feeling it's Vista 2.0, and we're going to get Windows 9 much, much sooner than anyone expected. It'll actually be Windows 8.1, just like how we got the "all new" Windows 7 right after Vista shipped, which was in reality nothing more than a big service pack rollup and some UI tweaks/changes.

Edit: In reviewing my post, I realized I'm not really on-topic. I apologize. Since I originally had a more on-topic intent, but the info seems useful here, I'll leave it.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

LostCat

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:23 am

Forge wrote:
I have a feeling it's Vista 2.0, and we're going to get Windows 9 much, much sooner than anyone expected.

All versions of Windows have early adopter pain. 8 has far less than Vista did, so calling it that seems silly.

But whatever works.
Meow.

BIF
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:00 am

Forge wrote:
Edit: In reviewing my post, I realized I'm not really on-topic. I apologize. Since I originally had a more on-topic intent, but the info seems useful here, I'll leave it.

Not a problem! You touched on several things that could potentially impact me going forward with my new build. I'm happy to have your comments. And it's my thread, so I get the final say-so! :D :P

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:30 am

Forge wrote:
MadManOriginal wrote:

Funny, I had to do it twice in 3 weeks of Windows 8 usage on my laptop. It kept updating drivers silently right after install. I called, reactivated, all good. A week and a half later, Lenovo kicked out a firmware update that resolved a UEFI bug I was having. Despite it being a laptop with pretty much no removable/replaceable parts, I got to make the phone call again!

Even better? Two weeks after that (a week and change ago), my Win8 install just suddenly decided to make itself unusable. Not sure what happened, just got a new-style BSOD every boot. Used System Restore three times, with a further-back point each time, then attempted the "refresh my Windows" thing, only to have it fail with an obscure message relating to my original upgrade install.

Guess what? The disk image I made just before trying out Win8 got used. Laptop is in perfect working order again, despite Windows 8 providing a multitude of BSODs, including some specifically telling me I had failing hardware.

I am now officially giving Windows 8 a miss for this go-round. I have a feeling it's Vista 2.0, and we're going to get Windows 9 much, much sooner than anyone expected. It'll actually be Windows 8.1, just like how we got the "all new" Windows 7 right after Vista shipped, which was in reality nothing more than a big service pack rollup and some UI tweaks/changes.

Download and install automatic device drivers is a new option in Windows 8. When installing, if you choose 'customize' it's in one of those steps but otherwise it's on by default. To change it later go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Tab -> Device Installation Settings and change the radio button to 'Never install driver software from Windows Update.' There's also a checkbox for 'automatically get device app and info from manufacturer', I suppose that could be unchecked if you don't want device bloatware...I'm not positive what it might download though if you have drivers set to manual update and that box checked.

I think it's generally good that Windows can automatically update drivers for the majority of users out there (although hopefully they aren't running into problems like you are.) But it's something power users could probably disable.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:33 am

How the hell did a thread I answered fully in the second post end up this long?
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

BIF
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:35 am

Ryu Connor wrote:

Pre-Christmas sales? :D

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:43 am

Ryu Connor wrote:

Probably because neither Ars nor Mr Bott explicitly answers the question about transferring licenses which is the question in this thread. In fact, the Ars article says "Other differences between licenses over the right to transfer between machines and the question of who provides tech support will remain." I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere on the interwebs because someone must have tried it by now.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:04 am

I did say it was transferable and I'm not making **** up.

Link

Ed Bott wrote:
If you purchase the software separately, in a package or as a download, the rules are much more liberal. Note that the text for the following rules is identical for retail upgrades and for System Builder software that you install on a PC you build yourself, or in a virtual machine, or on a separate partition. Emphasis in the following sections is in the original:

EULA wrote:
You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. … You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers.

In other words, you can remove the Windows 8 upgrade from an original PC and then install it on another PC, assuming the new PC has a license that qualifies it for an upgrade. Likewise, you can completely remove the PUL System Builder software from a self-built PC, a VM, or a partition and then install it in a new physical or virtual PC.

There is no limit on the number of times you may do this type of transfer, providing you follow the rules I describe later in this section. That means hobbyists who like to tinker with PCs can relax. If you buy a System Builder copy, you can move (not share) that license from an old PC to a new one

/thread

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:21 am

That link is not linked from either the Ars article or the Ed Bott article to which Ars links as far as I can see, hence the confusion. If you had linked that first then locked the thread there would have been a solid answer and no chance of replies :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:23 am

Most of it is the tribe of monkeys still trying to bash out Hamlet.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:18 pm

I don't know about Windows, but that's what I'm hearing about Office 2013 as well. Buy a copy of Pro, and it's still locked to the system you install it on, or at least, the licensing specifies it isn't transferrable to another system.

I think I'll stick with Office 2010, thanks.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

BIF
Topic Author

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:07 am

MadManOriginal wrote:
That link is not linked from either the Ars article or the Ed Bott article to which Ars links as far as I can see, hence the confusion.

Precisely correct, and that's the reason for the subsequent excercise in dead equine beating.

Throughout all of Windows 8's pre-GA period, I had the sense that Microsoft was being evasive about this topic, especially when reading their responses to customer questions on the Windows 8 forums. The places I went to to find out more weren't any better and I did not have an opportunity to read the actual EULA; it just didn't pop up in my searches.