Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Anyone see the new Judge Dread movie??

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:12 am

I just watched the remake of Judge Dread the other day. I have to say i was impressed it has spectacular effects and was very entertained. All i can say is I hated the original Dread movie......it was so corny and BoBo. But this remake is pretty dang neat. I suggest if you like action movies to give it a watch. Note: very very gory movie :lol:

Let me know if anyone else thought is was OK or horrible.....but i know for a fact it is way better then the original that's for sure!
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

clone
Gerbil Elite

Re: Anyone see the new Judge Dread movie??

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:59 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neg

Myrmecophagavir
Gerbil

Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:39 am

vargis14 wrote:
I just watched the remake of Judge Dread the other day. I have to say i was impressed it has spectacular effects and was very entertained. All i can say is I hated the original Dread movie......it was so corny and BoBo. But this remake is pretty dang neat. I suggest if you like action movies to give it a watch. Note: very very gory movie :lol:

Let me know if anyone else thought is was OK or horrible.....but i know for a fact it is way better then the original that's for sure!

It shouldn't really be considered a remake, as the "original" wasn't really original. Just a (terrible) first stab at a movie version of an existing world. Dredd's been around for nearly 36 years now...

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:33 pm

Okay, did they have the fat people with the "belly wheels" in this movie?

One of the Dredd comic book stories had fat people who's bellies were SO HUGE that they had to have a wheel fitted underneath for support. Think "small wheelbarrow-sized" and you'll get the gist of how low their bellies already were to the ground! If I recall correctly, it was both men and women of a certain "preferred class" who were fat enough to require bellywheels.

I don't remember details about that storyline, but I remember that to me it spoke directly to the dystopian/utopian thing, and showed that even though it was supposed to be a utopia, there were classes of people who were "better than" others; who had more rights, were "more important", who were not held to the level of responsibility that the population at large was held to.

And to be so fat as to need a bellywheel, man oh man to me, that is GORY! Who needs violence?

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:03 pm

clone wrote:
either way The Raid: Redemption despite it's much lower production costs should be on your action list and is arguably one of the best martial arts films done over the past decade.

That movie honestly met everything I wanted in an action film. And I read that there is going to be an American remake....which will probably fail.

But, the same group is working on a sequel.
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

clone
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:43 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:45 am

clone wrote:
but then again one looks at the success of Dances with Wolves... OOPS, I meant Avatar and then has to ask why bother?
Personally, I refer to it as Dances with Smurfs.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Watching it right now. I'll let you know after.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:50 pm

I liked it. Reminded me of bloody 80's action movies. Kinda like Punisher: Warzone in relation to the "first" attempt at the series (ignoring the Dolph Punisher for this example).

Not being a huge comics nerd, I just went into the movie with the expectation of violence and a dark future. Not disappointed. Better than the Stallone take on it but then again comic-based movies have grown up quite a bit from as a genre since then.

And come on guys, how can you be negative on a US remake of The Raid: Redemption? I mean, Hollywood did such a wonderful job Bangkok Dangerous, it'll probably be fantastic!

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Oh. It was so wonderful that I forgot to come back.

No, seriously, it was massively, massively better than the Stallone abomination. This one did brush over and largely ignore the horrible state of the larger world that Dredd lives in, there was no discussion of corruption or nepotism, though nobody seemed surprised when the corrupt Judges showed up to off Dredd and Anderson. I certainly got a small idea of what life in MegaCityOne is like, and it was properly horrible. Psy-Corps has been rebooted, though, and there was no mention of the Wastelands, and Mutants only got a very oblique reference, but nothing that was missing impaired the story. They left enough things open that they could very easily add and flesh out the rest of the Dredd universe(s) without too much disruption. This movie was the greater whole, in microcosm.

I have no complaints, really, though I do agree that the Slo-Mo effects were a bit overused. I was waiting for someone on that to display enhanced reaction time or SOMETHING that made it relevant and not effects pron, but it never happened. They also seem to have done some odd things to colors when they were adding 3D effects, and those didn't work too well.

All in all, I would watch it again, and I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel, as long as it's going to break more ground, as opposed to providing the same material again with some small plot details changed.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 pm

I liked the first Judge Dredd :D Not because it was especially 'good' in any objective or subjective way, but I liked the cheesy, campy goodbad-ness, to coin a word.

Starscream
Gerbil

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:41 am

Just watched it last night and I loved it.

It's too bad it was a box office bomb, I would have enjoyed a sequel.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:18 pm

neg