Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: dymt reloaded

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:11 pm

That is one good & fried motor.

This is why I love baseboard hot-water and the fact I can change a standard-issue circulator pump by myself in 10 minutes.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:43 pm

Well at least I don't have problems with hoarding broken and obsolete stuff...........

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:51 pm

"I'm not hoarding; I'm curating." :wink:
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:24 am

my son's got my allergies and my insomnia and he's only six week sold :evil: It's 1:20am and I've been singing old country and classic rock songs as lullabies since about 10pm...he's eaten, got a fresh diaper...still starts squalling after being down for 10 or 15 minutes...gaaaaaa
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:29 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
my son's got my allergies and my insomnia and he's only six week sold :evil: It's 1:20am and I've been singing old country and classic rock songs as lullabies since about 10pm...he's eaten, got a fresh diaper...still starts squalling after being down for 10 or 15 minutes...gaaaaaa

BTDT. Every kid has their preferred stress relief. The tough part about being a parent is figuring that out based on non-intelligible feedback. My daughter thrived on long car drives with her in the baby seat. Other kids have different triggers. Experiment until you find the trigger.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:48 am

Yup, every kid is different. Believe it or not, the best way to soothe our eldest daughter when she was an infant was to cradle her in our arms and bounce her up and down fairly hard. We speculated that it was because my wife had bronchitis near the end of the pregnancy, so she was accustomed to being tossed around while in the womb. Heavy metal music was also a winner (go figure). :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:58 am

Starfalcon wrote:
Well at least I don't have problems with hoarding broken and obsolete stuff...........

:lol:

Hey, how old does stuff need to be before you're interested in it? I don't have any more Pentium Pro or K6 systems for you, but I may be looking to unload some non-broken and only moderately obsolete stuff in the near future, as a side effect of the activities described in this thread.

Gleek already took one of my other old Socket 754 systems at the BBQ... you missed out! :wink:

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:42 am

I've got a couple of fully-functional Socket-A systems here. Are they too new for Starfalcon's collection?
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:49 am

He's OK in the car like that, but he starts fussing again as soon as the car stops moving so it doesn't help as far as getting us any sleep.

My sister-in-law gave me her iPod as a christmas gift. She bought it overseas and it's got 120 gigs (HDD based player). I'm thinking I'll buy a dock and it goes in the snake shed/workout room. Tunes for cleaning and lifting to!
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:14 pm

What's wrong with this product listing? :lol:

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:31 pm

300WATTS? Wow that is impressive.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:05 pm

won't that, like, microwave your brains?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:41 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I hear the eyes go first. There's a lot of dense liquid in there and no nerves to monitor the temperature.

Which, incidentally, is why nobody should ever defeat the door switch on a microwave oven - by the time your skin heats up enough to warn you that something is going on, you may already be legally blind :o
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Medical Examiner Quincy is with us no longer. RIP Oscar.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:09 am

ludi wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I hear the eyes go first. There's a lot of dense liquid in there and no nerves to monitor the temperature.

Which, incidentally, is why nobody should ever defeat the door switch on a microwave oven - by the time your skin heats up enough to warn you that something is going on, you may already be legally blind :o

I use to work on firmware for 2way radio repeaters (VHF and UHF). We had people in the area that could tell when someone was running one without an Attenuator because they would get headaches. Not even the "big" 100W repeaters, the small 40W repeaters would do the trick. Fortunately the frequency wasn't quite so high on those, with these 2.4/5.0Ghz routers that would be a serious issue.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:21 am

...and then there's the story about how the microwave oven was "discovered" back in 1945. An engineer at a Raytheon radar lab noticed that the chocolate bar in his pocket melted when the equipment was switched on. Amazing that he (or his co-workers) didn't manage to cook themselves!

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:55 pm

ludi wrote:
...nobody should ever defeat the door switch on a microwave oven - by the time your skin heats up enough to warn you that something is going on, you may already be legally blind...

I often wonder if I should even be in the same room when my microwave is turned on. It is positioned above the stove, just above "eye level". Whenever it's on, I try not to even look into it...and usually I prefer to be in the other room with at least one wall between the device and my eyes/brain. I'm probably too paranoid.

just brew it! wrote:
...and then there's the story about how the microwave oven was "discovered" back in 1945...

The story of Marie Curie also fascinates me. She died from long term exposure to radiation from her studies throughout the years. She did a lot of her work in a shed with no safety measures (she was the groundbreaker, so the risks were as yet unknown). She used to carry test tubes of isotopes in her pockets, and she even commented that they glowed in her desk drawer! :o

Even now her notes and papers are so radioactive that they are kept in lead containers and people who wish to read them must wear special protective clothing! :o :o

Truly a fascinating and inquisitive lady. More on Wikipedia here.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:24 pm

noob homeowner question:

I have a drop ceiling in the basement, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to access it. It seems to be clipped in both directions such that I can't just push them up and off to the side like normal commercial drop ceilings. What am I missing here?

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:41 pm

Huh, got a beer brewing starter kit (and a kit to do a batch of wheat beer, too) for Christmas.

This'll be interesting.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:27 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
noob homeowner question:

I have a drop ceiling in the basement, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to access it. It seems to be clipped in both directions such that I can't just push them up and off to the side like normal commercial drop ceilings. What am I missing here?

2' X 4', 2' X 2', or the 12" square perforated acoustical tile?

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:35 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Starfalcon wrote:

:lol:

Hey, how old does stuff need to be before you're interested in it? I don't have any more Pentium Pro or K6 systems for you, but I may be looking to unload some non-broken and only moderately obsolete stuff in the near future, as a side effect of the activities described in this thread.

Gleek already took one of my other old Socket 754 systems at the BBQ... you missed out! :wink:

Sadly 754 systems are pretty old now...I remember when those were cutting edge lol. I never say no to any hardware, and I do have a suprising amount of socket A systems. Just hit me up and let me know what your looking to get rid of. :wink:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:18 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Huh, got a beer brewing starter kit (and a kit to do a batch of wheat beer, too) for Christmas.

This'll be interesting.

My dad has a Mr. Beer and loves it. He's not into really MAKING his own, but he's more than happy to accept the cans of mixes as gifts and follow those directions.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:03 pm

bhtooefr wrote:

This'll be interesting.

...and *how* interesting it gets depends on how much you get into the hobby. Some people just do the kit thing, and make good beer that way. A lot of people who stick with it for more than a few batches eventually start formulating their own recipes or even doing grain mashes instead of using pre-packaged kits. The more obsessive do a deep dive into the chemistry and microbiology aspect, or even end up going pro (most of the current wave of craft breweries and brewpubs was started by homebrewers).

The bottom line for n00b brewers: Pay strict attention to sanitation of anything that touches the wort or beer post-boil, and it's pretty much impossible to end up with something that isn't drinkable. Even if you do manage to botch the sanitation and end up with bacterial or wild yeast contamination, the chemistry of beer is such that pathogenic bacteria can't survive in it, so it's not going to give you botulism, salmonella, e coli or anything like that. (A big part of learning how to be a beer judge is learning how to spot the characteristic off aromas and flavors caused by various unwanted microorganisms... if pathogenic bacteria could live in beer there'd be an awful lot of dead homebrew competition judges!)

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:20 pm

I've got a Brewer's Best kit, for what it's worth.

I don't think I'll get very deep into the hobby, but it'll be neat to play with.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:49 am

OK, it's supposed to snow here in New England. Depending on where you are it's 6" to 18". In other words, a perfectly normal New England snowstorm. Now we have The Weather Channel trying to name snowstorms so Jim Cantore can opine wisely in the face of a whole foot of snow.

Get over it people. You live in the Snow Belt. Random 12" dumps are nothing but a wee bother on the way to work. You're not allowed to call it epic until it hits 24" in an overnight. Oh, and another point. "All-season" tires do not work in moderate or greater snow. Repeat with me: Hakkapeliitta. There's a reason that Nokian Tyres US HQ is about a mile down the road from my house.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:36 am

I wish some states would adopt Quebec's policy: No snow tires in winter? No driving.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:05 am

bhtoofer; I'd be happy if Texas would just let us BUY snow tires! Studs are illegal :(

I know they're harder on the roads, but it isn't like the whole state lives in Houston or Brownsville. We get snow on a semi-regular basis up here in Amarillo (just got a few inches on Christmas actually--was rather nice).

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:04 am

Snow tires aren't necessarily studded. Most allow for studding, but not many ship studded.

I've personally never run studded snows, and never seen the need to (even with icy roads). Besides, I like to run snow tires later than Ohio allows studs, anyway.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:27 am

There's also the problem of being able to afford snow tires. I looked into it for my car; turns out a new set of wheels and tires would run $1200 or so. That's just too steep for me at this point in my life.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:40 am

in Colorado, we pretty much all used studded snow tires, at least in the mountains. But you could have snow on some roads for months straight too--going from our house to Nederlands for instance...or even Kittridge which wasn't that remote or high elevation.