Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Win7 Audio Device Switching

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:26 pm

A problem I'd love to get some input on.

First:
Wife's Computer
Windows 7
P8P67 Pro MoBo using Integrated Audio
Logitech USB Headset (no special drivers installed)
Recently uninstalled Xonar DG to make way for SLI video

Wife has some program she found called Toggle Audio 7. Frequently uses it to change the audio output back and forth between speaker and USB. Apparently it was working to her liking until I uninstalled the Xonar.

Now she's pissed that it's "back to the way it was," meaning that now if she's playing a Youtube video, the only way she can change the audio output is to close the browser and restart Youtube. Whether this is the only complaint, I don't know...

In any case... first, I guess the question is whether there's a way to toggle the audio output without having to physically un/plug the USB headset. That annoys her the most.

All output devices have been disabled except the Realtek HD audio on board, and the USB headset. Sound works fine on both, it's just a question of switching the audio on the fly via software only.

Thoughts, advice, software, or other insight greatly appreciated. Thanks!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Win7 Audio Device Switching

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Have you tried removing the switch software and reinstalling? I've never heard of it but it sounds like a cool idea.

edit: apparently it has the list of devices in a config file (based on http://flexxcom.nl/2011/03/toggle-audio-7/) so maybe the config file needs rejiggered?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Have you tried the normal Windows 7 way? Right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area, choose Playback Devices, then highlight the desired output and select it by clicking 'Set Default.'

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:36 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
Have you tried the normal Windows 7 way? Right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area, choose Playback Devices, then highlight the desired output and select it by clicking 'Set Default.'

That. Usually it will automatically switch the existing audio feeds over when you do that as well.
Meow.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:50 am

I think the real lesson here is don't mess with your wife's computer, no matter your intentions.

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:49 am

absurdity wrote:
I think the real lesson here is don't mess with your wife's computer, no matter your intentions.

Indeed. Truer words were never spoken. :lol:
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 am

Or their Ipad & iPhone......I moved some icons around so they would be accessed on the opening page and boy did i hear it. Then when i went to move them back i got yelled at again "what are you doing now!" Ummmm just putting it back the way it was you big meanie :)

Anyways i do it Madmanoriginal's way switching between my logitec USB g930s and my self powered speakers.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:16 am

Walkintarget wrote:
absurdity wrote:

Indeed. Truer words were never spoken. :lol:

Yes, I am actually dreading cutting my wife over to Win7. She complained for weeks back when she got moved from Win2K to WinXP. At least I'm not trying to get her to use Win8!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:14 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Have you tried removing the switch software and reinstalling? I've never heard of it but it sounds like a cool idea.

edit: apparently it has the list of devices in a config file (based on http://flexxcom.nl/2011/03/toggle-audio-7/) so maybe the config file needs rejiggered?

Tried it... no change. All it seems to do is run a little script that opens the playback audio device manager and changes the default playback device.

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:15 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:

Yes. Doesn't help... at least, not the way she wants it to operate (that is, switching mid-audio stream without having to restart a browser window or otherwise).

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:16 pm

absurdity wrote:

Well... I guess I just feel shame that I built the thing for her and can't make it work just right.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:39 pm

DairyCreamer wrote:
MadManOriginal wrote:

Yes. Doesn't help... at least, not the way she wants it to operate (that is, switching mid-audio stream without having to restart a browser window or otherwise).

Tell her to know which audio device she wants to use before playing videos then :P

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Can you have it use both all the time?

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:26 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
Tell her to know which audio device she wants to use before playing videos then :P

I'll, uhh, get right on that :-D

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

This would be ideal... except the headset she likes doesn't have an in-line volume control or mute or anything... so there would always be an annoying "side" sound from the headset on the desk if a straight splitter was involved.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:37 pm

DairyCreamer wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

This would be ideal... except the headset she likes doesn't have an in-line volume control or mute or anything... so there would always be an annoying "side" sound from the headset on the desk if a straight splitter was involved.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2102975
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:
DairyCreamer wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2102975

Well, that would be great... I may have muddied the problem with my reply to USAcomp though... it's a USB headset she uses, no miniplugs.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:04 pm

Vista and W7 can't output to more then one audio device at the same time, that was stripped from the audio stack functionality. A USB headset functions as its own audio device.

Sounds like the program takes exclusive control of the audio device and wont let go of it until it's restarted. Have you tried disabling that?