Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

RAIN PSU 600 watts

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:08 am

Hi guys, can you share with me your insights about this one? Im planning to buy a HEC Cougar Volant 67m5 USB 3.0 Sata Dock case. And im planning to put up all 8 fans in the case and ill also put CPU COOLER. Do you think i can use my Generic RAIN 600 watts PSU in this one? Would it not get burned or something else like that? Share me some of your knowledge please. Thanks. =)

(im not really sure about my PSU if its local or generic or something so please share me your ideas. Thanks.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Re: RAIN PSU 600 watts

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:49 am

tigidig3x wrote:
Hi guys, can you share with me your insights about this one? Im planning to buy a HEC Cougar Volant 67m5 USB 3.0 Sata Dock case. And im planning to put up all 8 fans in the case and ill also put CPU COOLER. Do you think i can use my Generic RAIN 600 watts PSU in this one? Would it not get burned or something else like that? Share me some of your knowledge please. Thanks. =)

(im not really sure about my PSU if its local or generic or something so please share me your ideas. Thanks.

In dollars, how much will you pay for the HEC Cougar Volant 67m5? How much for the 8 fans? How much for the Generic RAIN 600W PSU?

My opinion is that 8 fans are overkill. A good CPU cooler and 2 or 3 well placed 120 or 140mm case fans will offer plenty of cooling for the CPU, HDD and mobo. The PSU, in a case with bottom mount location, will intake air from beneath the case and it will exhaust the hot air out the back. So the last thing to cover is the video card which depending on how much TDP it has and what cooler it comes with, may or may not require additional fans.

So give us a budget and let's see if we can figure something more sensible.

Edit
It would also help if you can list your system specs and provide information as to why you need so much case cooling and why do you need a 600W PSU.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:35 am

Arclight wrote:
tigidig3x wrote:

In dollars, how much will you pay for the HEC Cougar Volant 67m5? How much for the 8 fans? How much for the Generic RAIN 600W PSU?

My opinion is that 8 fans are overkill. A good CPU cooler and 2 or 3 well placed 120 or 140mm case fans will offer plenty of cooling for the CPU, HDD and mobo. The PSU, in a case with bottom mount location, will intake air from beneath the case and it will exhaust the hot air out the back. So the last thing to cover is the video card which depending on how much TDP it has and what cooler it comes with, may or may not require additional fans.

So give us a budget and let's see if we can figure something more sensible.

Edit
It would also help if you can list your system specs and provide information as to why you need so much case cooling and why do you need a 600W PSU.

Actually, I have really decided to buy the cooling case and the CPU cooler although the CPU cooler is a bit chip because im lacking of budget, and this is the CPU cooler http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/ICEEDGE_MINI_FS/. Honestly, i really dont want to buy a new and branded PSU since its so expensive and i really cant afford it for now. So i wanna know with only 4 fans running (as you said above even 2-3 fans will do) and 1 CPU cooler, can you assure me that i can use my current Generic RAIN psu wouldnt be dangerous to use in my case? Because some of the person i asked said that generic PSU's are dangerous especially i have many fans. Please i wanna know. Thank you so much sir.
So if i put only 4 Fans, and 1 CPU cooler, can you assure me th

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:00 am

tigidig3x wrote:
[...]Actually, I have really decided to buy the cooling case and the CPU cooler although the CPU cooler is a bit chip because im lacking of budget, and this is the CPU cooler http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/ICEEDGE_MINI_FS/. Honestly, i really dont want to buy a new and branded PSU since its so expensive and i really cant afford it for now. So i wanna know with only 4 fans running (as you said above even 2-3 fans will do) and 1 CPU cooler, can you assure me that i can use my current Generic RAIN psu wouldnt be dangerous to use in my case? Because some of the person i asked said that generic PSU's are dangerous especially i have many fans. Please i wanna know. Thank you so much sir.
So if i put only 4 Fans, and 1 CPU cooler, can you assure me th

All i'm saying is that you would be better served by investing the money into one or 2 higher quality components rather than compensating with more equally crappy components. Rather than buying so many case fans and a generic PSU you could of just gathered all the money and bought 1 good CPU cooler and 2 good 120/140mm case fans.

Regarding the PSU, i can't make any guarantees, no one can. Even good brand PSUs fail but cheap ones usually are avoided because they:
1. Do not provide as many features in terms of protecting the system in different scenarios when the current from the wall socket doesn't come out "clean"
2. Because even if the current coming from the wall socket is good, the PSU might exhibit high variations in voltage on different lanes due to the cheap components and potentialy bad design. You can and should read one or two PSU reviews on the particular model you want to buy before purchasing. Here is a good site where you can find many reviews <<<<<click me>>>>>
3. Failure rate is much higher than good brand PSUs
4. Wattage ratings on this parts is usually exagerated, in reality it's usually much lower.

I didn't read any reviews about the specific PSU you want to buy so idk much about it. Frankly that's your resposability to look into it, personally all i want to say is that you're spending money in all the wrong places.

Regarding fans, it's not as easy as you might think when it comes to picking the right one. I recommend spending some time in researching the fans as well, take a look at this guy's youtube channel, it has a wide selection. Also you will notice a fan doesn't consume much power. Iirc you can power up multiple fans with a single molex cable coming from the PSU with no problems when you use a fan controller.

Here it's not the issue that a 600W PSU can't power up 8 fans, it's guranteed it can even though the rated wattage is probably not true, the issue is that it might crap out soon and take more valuable components along with it when it does.
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:18 am

I second what Arclight said. Get a quality power supply and cut down the number of fans you're planning to purchase to afford one if you have to.

Some quality power supply manufacturers:
  • Seasonic
  • Corsair
  • Antec
  • Cooler Master
  • Silverstone

Ideally, get one with at least a 80 Plus bronze rating. It's absolutely worth it and if you really need to justify it just commit to using it in a future build. Powers supplies really haven't changed much at all over the years so they don't suffer from obsolescence nearly as fast as other components.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 am

Ryhadar wrote:
Powers supplies really haven't changed much at all over the years so they don't suffer from obsolescence nearly as fast as other components.

Not since the 20-pin to 24-pin transition, which was a few years ago, and you could still get by with a decent older p/s and an adapter.

What the other guys said about buying quality. It's a good life rule in general, actually: buy the best you can afford to, because it'll last longer and you will consequently save money in the long run. What's cheaper: a $30 power supply that will last two years, or a $70 p/s that will last eight?

Don't take that as advice to buy a $1000 Intel CPU, though. :D
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Guys, thank you for all of your replies. So upon reading all of your replies, here is the reconsiderations i made, hopefully this would be a right decision so still guide me guys. :)

I would buy these things:

Cooler - deepcool ice edge mini FS
case. - HEC Cougar Volant 67M5 USB 3.0 Data Dock
PSU. - VS650W 80+ 650W
Fan. - ill put 3 case fans

Regarding the cooler guys, can i keep that cooler? Im really out of money to squeeze my budget to. Pls let me know if that selection would be enough, and asside from buying all that item guys, what are other every single piece of thigs i need? For example is there any more thing i need in order to connect the fans in the motherboard or anywhere?? And, is transfering all my hardware into that new case i will buy hard? Ill try to find some tutorials on youtube but if you give me please do so. I wanna do itmyself to enjoy and also learn in the process, thank you so much buddies!!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:19 pm

tigidig3x wrote:
Hi guys, can you share with me your insights about this one?

The helpful gerbils in the System Builders Anonymous forum could help you spec out a new PC. Tech Report's System Guide is a good place to start for gaming PC builds. If you're looking for help in how to assemble a PC, Tech Report's Handy Guide is a great resource, including a detailed video showing you how things fit together.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:34 pm

tigidig3x wrote:
[...]I would buy these things:

Cooler - deepcool ice edge mini FS
case. - HEC Cougar Volant 67M5 USB 3.0 Data Dock
PSU. - VS650W 80+ 650W
Fan. - ill put 3 case fans

Regarding the cooler guys, can i keep that cooler? Im really out of money to squeeze my budget to.[...]

So have you or haven't you bought the cooler? If you did, you should still be able to return it and get your money back or trade it for something of higher value and just paying the difference. In my country we can return any electronic goods in 10 working days IF the product is vandable and the package, that it came with, is in good condition with all the documents and accesories it came with.

If that's not possible, let's forget about the CPU cooler and let's talk about what you want to buy: case, PSU and 3 case fans. Now we need a budget to see if what you picked is good, or we could tweak it slightly.

Also you say you want 3 case fans, what if the case came with the fans included? Most higher entry level cases have at least 1 or 2 fans preinstalled. The higher the price for the case and usually the more fans it contains (or higher quality ones).

To make sure we are suggesting what you need we also have to know at least what motherboard you will have installed in that case. If you know post the model of the mobo.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:47 pm

Without the rest of the system I don't think we can make any good suggestions, really. Especially on the topic of PSU and cooling.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Thank you for all the tips guys i really appreciated all of your help but i have decided to buy the items i listed above. Im still a student and that's what all i have saved in my allowance and cant spend nothing more. Really big thanks to all of you! Im buying it tomorrow.