Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Far Cry 3 - any way to start without Uload?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Wow. I can't even get this game to *run*.

I guess I'll start agreeing with you guys now...that's pretty high on the WTF list.
Meow.

LostCat

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Uhh...seriously? I had to copy the game to my C drive and change some appropriate registry settings.

Seriously? Ubisoft apparently hasn't learned anything in the last ten years or so.

At least it is a very good game from what I've played so far.
Meow.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Why would any modern day publisher require you to install their game on the C: drive? I could understand it in the early days but at this point many people will have multiple drives or at least multiple partitions. Especially with the oncoming slew of SSDs that people will use for their boot drive. Many will have a second HD that will be used for a data drive and would be the perfect place to install a slew of games but they can't if the publisher requires the game to go on a C: drive.

LostCat

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:01 pm

I don't think they did, intentionally. I just think they don't properly TEST THEIR FRIGGIN GAMES :p
Meow.

l33t-g4m3r

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:14 pm

ugh. Just heard about the ending of this game. Whatever. I'm not interested in more Spec Ops garbage, so this game is off my list. DRM: Check. Mindscrew: Check. Buylist: NO.

Farcry was a great game, and I think I'll leave it at that. Some sequels were not meant to be.

Postal 2 was fun and great satire, while this stuff is purely demented, and it's blurring the moral lines of reality and gaming. I can sympathize with and appreciate SpecOps, but I don't feel this stuff is in any way appropriate. Sure, GTA sandboxers deserve a good mindscrew for their guilty pleasure, and maybe that's what this was really about, but it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I grew up playing gory shooters, but my parents made it clear that tv and games were not a role model, and were merely entertainment. Blending the two just seems wrong and offensive. Especially when this is something developers aren't even remotely serious about addressing. It's a joke, and the joke's on you. I can just imagine some 10 yr old playing this game and becoming profoundly disturbed. Good job for putting this out there guys. I wish you the worst.

LostCat

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:31 pm

Ten year olds playing M rated games rather deserve what they get.
Meow.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 pm

The thing that bugs me about FC 3 is that it is very scripted and not at all an open world game. After the first half the scripted cut-scenes require odd (and apparently not always well programmed) keystrokes. Then on the second island its script after script with warnings you are off script if you roam. It's boring.

I loved doing the Boat section of FC1 by starting at the far island and working my way backwards. FC3 - I feel like I am following Alice down the hole over and over. (Did these guys work on Alice previously?)