Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

A few newbie question, I hope you can help me on this

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi guys, Im currently buying these 3 new upgrades for my PC.

Corsair VS650W 80+ 650W - PSU
HEC Cougar Volant 67M5 - CASE
Deep cool Edge MIni FS -CPU Cooler (just cheap one since my cpu isnt too hot)

My question for the PSU and case guys is that, since the case has many fan slots and im planning to install all of them i think theres 8 fan slots in that case, how would i install that? I mean where do i plug the power for the fans? Would i plug them direclty to the motherboard? or power supply? or i need to buy any connector or any other things like that? Please also include your explanations to me about molex things, cause i really dont understand that. I just want to ask so that i would not look like a dumbass on a computer shop, i don't want to get embarassed and no one does want. LOL.

2nd question is, does that CPU cooler i listed above, already contains thermal paste? I mean, does that cooler have a thermal paste free in its box? Thank you so much guys. =)

killadark
Gerbil XP

Re: A few newbie question, I hope you can help me on this

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:45 am

you can either choose to connect it to your power supply or if the fan has the option of connecting to the motherboard(most fans ive used dont) i would do that since that gives fan speed control ;).

as for the thermal paste i think u might have to buy it but i might be wrong
AMD FX-8350|Asus M5A97 LE R2.0|16gb GSKILL Sniper 2400mhz|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X (dead) GTX1070
Corsair RM650x,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:40 am

killadark wrote:
you can either choose to connect it to your power supply or if the fan has the option of connecting to the motherboard(most fans ive used dont) i would do that since that gives fan speed control ;).

as for the thermal paste i think u might have to buy it but i might be wrong

So, what if i dont plug if i cannot control the fan speed, would that make any differences? I mean, is there downside in that solution? by the way, this is the power supply im gonna buy: http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/48558-cmpsu-vs650

And this is the case fan im planning to install : http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/WIND_BLADE_80/

Another question is, i read in the specifications section of the link ive given about the psu is that it has 4 pin peripheral connector and it has 8 connectors. Did i get it right on what is listed in its specifications?

About that case fan, i cant find if its a 3 pin or 4 pin can you please answer to me if that case fan would fit or is compatible with that power supply? And also, do you think my power supply can support all 8 case fans that i would like to install? Thank you guys,

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:36 am

That case supports 8 120mm fans not the 80mm fan you linked.

new egg has these enermax 120mm fans in stock for 12$ each. I have owned these fans and they push a lot of air and make minimal noise and have a 100,000 hr lifespan " one of mine went bad at at approx 1.8 years of 24/7 use". they are great i would rec them to anyone...link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835214001. I had them as push pull on my 120mm closed loop liquid cooling.

I replaced them both plus bought 2 more for my side panel on my HAF922 case for a total of 4 in all. I bought 4 COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex fans with a Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) and a 300,000 hr lifespan.....i do not think they are going to last almost 35 years.
I read the reviews on newegg and a lot of complaints about noise. mine are whisper quiet at 60%..100% they make a whosh air noise but no vibration or whining noise.
There build quality is fantastic but they do cost a little more then the Enemax magmas @ 14$ each here is neweggs kink......................... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835553002
Also i bought the black model not the orange ones.

You cannot go wrong with either of these fans....But i highly rec a fan controller. Its nice to be able to control them and not have to go into the bios. And i would not want my motherboard controlling 8 fans plus the cpu fan.

I would setup the 2 front ,2 side and bottom fans as intakes with the rear and 2 top fans as exhaust That would give you case some positive air pressure with 5 intake and 3 exhaust.

EDIT: I found this on your cases website and it shows the fan configuration i just explained......... http://www.cougar-world.de/en/products/case/volant.html
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:00 am

tigidig3x wrote:
1. So, what if i dont plug if i cannot control the fan speed, would that make any differences? I mean, is there downside in that solution? by the way, this is the power supply im gonna buy: http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/48558-cmpsu-vs650

2.1. And this is the case fan im planning to install : http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/WIND_BLADE_80/

2.2. About that case fan, i cant find if its a 3 pin or 4 pin can you please answer to me if that case fan would fit or is compatible with that power supply? And also, do you think my power supply can support all 8 case fans that i would like to install? Thank you guy

3. Another question is, i read in the specifications section of the link ive given about the psu is that it has 4 pin peripheral connector and it has 8 connectors. Did i get it right on what is listed in its specifications?

1. Normally there are 3 main ways to power fans:
- by plugging the 3pin/4pin (depending if the fan is PWM or not) to the 3 pin or 4 pin header of the motherboard (depending on what fan headers the mobo has, you didn't post the model of ur mobo so we don't know if it offers PWM control for case fans and we also don't know how many fan headers it has BUT i will bet it won't have 8 );
- by connecting the fan 3 pin/4 pin male connector to a female molex adaptor and connecting it to the molex cable of the PSU, in your case you would require 8 molex cables OR (read bellow);
- by connecting all the fans to a fan controller and powering the fan controller with a single molex cable coming from the PSU.

2.1. I didn't check out the specs of your case but somebody pointed out it only supports 120mm fans, the fans you linked are 80mm and (i presume) pretty noisey since they are 1800RPM fans.

2.2. That is a newby question. Like i said before you need an adaptor for each fan. The adaptor needs to have at one end a 3 pin female connector and at the other a female molex connector. As is, a fan can't be connected to the PSU directly.

3. According to the Corsair's website, that PSU has 4 molex cables. As it stands you will not be able to connect 8 fans directly to the PSU with adaptor cables. You could instead tell us what mobo you have, then we could tell you how many you can connect to the mobo and how many adaptors you need to connect to the PSU. Or you could buy a fan controller.

Lastly, regarding fans, the difference between a 3 pin and a 4 pin fan is that the 3 pin fan will run all the time at it's maximum RPM (rotations per minute) while the 4 pin one, if connected to a 4 pin mobo header, can be controlled (well depends on the mobo how much control you get..). So the best solution is to buy 3 pin fans and use a fan controller BUT there are things to consider here as well and i don't want to go into details.

My favorite method though is to buy fans with RPM specs that won't require to be lowered. I usually choose 120/140mm fans with RPMS at arround 1000 or 1200, but not higher.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:51 am

Arclight wrote:
tigidig3x wrote:
1. So, what if i dont plug if i cannot control the fan speed, would that make any differences? I mean, is there downside in that solution? by the way, this is the power supply im gonna buy: http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/48558-cmpsu-vs650

2.1. And this is the case fan im planning to install : http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/WIND_BLADE_80/

2.2. About that case fan, i cant find if its a 3 pin or 4 pin can you please answer to me if that case fan would fit or is compatible with that power supply? And also, do you think my power supply can support all 8 case fans that i would like to install? Thank you guy

3. Another question is, i read in the specifications section of the link ive given about the psu is that it has 4 pin peripheral connector and it has 8 connectors. Did i get it right on what is listed in its specifications?

1. Normally there are 3 main ways to power fans:
- by plugging the 3pin/4pin (depending if the fan is PWM or not) to the 3 pin or 4 pin header of the motherboard (depending on what fan headers the mobo has, you didn't post the model of ur mobo so we don't know if it offers PWM control for case fans and we also don't know how many fan headers it has BUT i will bet it won't have 8 );
- by connecting the fan 3 pin/4 pin male connector to a female molex adaptor and connecting it to the molex cable of the PSU, in your case you would require 8 molex cables OR (read bellow);
- by connecting all the fans to a fan controller and powering the fan controller with a single molex cable coming from the PSU.

2.1. I didn't check out the specs of your case but somebody pointed out it only supports 120mm fans, the fans you linked are 80mm and (i presume) pretty noisey since they are 1800RPM fans.

2.2. That is a newby question. Like i said before you need an adaptor for each fan. The adaptor needs to have at one end a 3 pin female connector and at the other a female molex connector. As is, a fan can't be connected to the PSU directly.

3. According to the Corsair's website, that PSU has 4 molex cables. As it stands you will not be able to connect 8 fans directly to the PSU with adaptor cables. You could instead tell us what mobo you have, then we could tell you how many you can connect to the mobo and how many adaptors you need to connect to the PSU. Or you could buy a fan controller.

Lastly, regarding fans, the difference between a 3 pin and a 4 pin fan is that the 3 pin fan will run all the time at it's maximum RPM (rotations per minute) while the 4 pin one, if connected to a 4 pin mobo header, can be controlled (well depends on the mobo how much control you get..). So the best solution is to buy 3 pin fans and use a fan controller BUT there are things to consider here as well and i don't want to go into details.

My favorite method though is to buy fans with RPM specs that won't require to be lowered. I usually choose 120/140mm fans with RPMS at arround 1000 or 1200, but not higher.

Here is the model of my MOBO: Asus P8 HLE 61-M

So if i want to connect my 8 fans to the power supply i would need 8 pieces of adapters right? so thats what i say in the computer shop ill buy 8 adapter for case fans? Sorry,guys, i'm just really newbie in this and its my first time to experience this. By the way, thanks for the replies.

**EDIT -- here is the correct link of the fan im going to buy: http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/WIND_BLADE/

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:36 am

tigidig3x wrote:

So if i want to connect my 8 fans to the power supply i would need 8 pieces of adapters right? so thats what i say in the computer shop ill buy 8 adapter for case fans? Sorry,guys, i'm just really newbie in this and its my first time to experience this. By the way, thanks for the replies.

**EDIT -- here is the correct link of the fan im going to buy: http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/WIND_BLADE/

According to the info on Asus's website, the motherboard only has 1 x 3 pin chasis fan header (which according to the manual is) located left to the CPU socket, near the USB 3_12 I/O. From what i read you should have some sort of control over the speed of the fan conneted to this header by using the BIOS (but don't expect too much, maybe 2 or 3 speed steps).

Regarding your question, you can't connect all 8 fans to the PSU, since the PSU if you read above, only has 4 molex cables. So you would have 4 fans left out (well technically 3 left out, if you connect 1 fan to the motherboard header). Read Edit.

So your only option left is to buy a fan controller and 3 pin cable extensions since i presume that not all the fan cables will reach the fan controller (try to choose the longer extension cables).

As for the fan controller get one that has 8 x 3 pin headers.

Edit: A cheaper solution would be to buy one of those adapters that has at one end a molex female connector and the other end multiple 3-pin male connetors, like this
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:47 am

Arclight wrote:
tigidig3x wrote:

According to the info on Asus's website, the motherboard only has 1 x 3 pin chasis fan header (which according to the manual is) located left to the CPU socket, near the USB 3_12 I/O. From what i read you should have some sort of control over the speed of the fan conneted to this header by using the BIOS (but don't expect too much, maybe 2 or 3 speed steps).

Regarding your question, you can't connect all 8 fans to the PSU, since the PSU if you read above, only has 4 molex cables. So you would have 4 fans left out (well technically 3 left out, if you connect 1 fan to the motherboard header). Read Edit.

So your only option left is to buy a fan controller and 3 pin cable extensions since i presume that not all the fan cables will reach the fan controller (try to choose the longer extension cables).

As for the fan controller get one that has 8 x 3 pin headers.

Edit: A cheaper solution would be to buy one of those adapters that has at one end a molex female connector and the other end multiple 3-pin male connetors, like this

Thanks for your reply sir, i think things seems clear to me now. So if i buy that kind of connector you mentioned lastly, i would connect the female molex connector to the PSU right? then i will use those multiple 3 pin male connectors to connect to the individual fans right? So i would just tell the seller at the computer shop that i would buy an adapter that has female molex connector and the other end has multiple 3 pin male connectors (if they have any) am i right? or if they dont have an adapter that has multiple 3 pin connectors, would it be possible that i buy 4 pieces adapter that has female molex connector and the other end is 3 pin male connector and i would just individually connect each of the fan into the PSU but only 4 fans since you said my PSU could only support 4 fans, right? Please confirm my understandings on this. Thank you dude, you really helped the newbie like me. :roll:

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:59 am

tigidig3x wrote:
Thanks for your reply sir, i think things seems clear to me now. So if i buy that kind of connector you mentioned lastly, i would connect the female molex connector to the PSU right? then i will use those multiple 3 pin male connectors to connect to the individual fans right? So i would just tell the seller at the computer shop that i would buy an adapter that has female molex connector and the other end has multiple 3 pin male connectors (if they have any) am i right? or if they dont have an adapter that has multiple 3 pin connectors, would it be possible that i buy 4 pieces adapter that has female molex connector and the other end is 3 pin male connector and i would just individually connect each of the fan into the PSU but only 4 fans since you said my PSU could only support 4 fans, right? Please confirm my understandings on this. Thank you dude, you really helped the newbie like me. :roll:

The answer is yes to all your questions. Just remember that you will still likely require cable extensions for some of the fans, since some of them will be further away from the adapter and the cable won't be long enough to reach it.

Cheers

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Arclight wrote:
tigidig3x wrote:

The answer is yes to all your questions. Just remember that you will still likely require cable extensions for some of the fans, since some of them will be further away from the adapter and the cable won't be long enough to reach it.

Cheers

Ok, please let me hug and kiss you bro, all of the things are clear to me now.. I LOVE YOU Bro.. hahaha just joking thanks again..

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:35 pm

Get yourself a fan controller with 4 channels....then you get Y splitter cable adapters with a female single on one end and 2 male on the other end letting a single channel of the fan controller control 2 fans on 1 channel.

I know i would want some control over 8 fans that just might sound like a hovercraft ready to take off :) Vrrroooom there goes my PC " look how fast it flies!!!:) Ohh no its going to crash.

Or you turn your Pc on and it sucks your Tee shirt into the PC hehe :lol:
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system