Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

A simple dilemma (A game for the best answer)

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:29 am

I have accounts on steam, GOG and amazon. Whenever I see a deal, I sometimes need to log into all three of those accounts to see if I don't already own that game. I know, my memory's THAT bad. I was thinking of making a central database of my game library. Is there some way to extract the names of the games from all three accounts without having to manually copy/paste? With almost 200 games, I can see a really boring weekend ahead of me. Any help?

EDIT: A Steam copy of Batman Asylum GOTY for the best answer! (I have an extra Steam product key lying around from a deal)

wintermane666
Gerbil

Re: A simple dilemma (A game for the best answer)

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:28 am

If all else fails just record a short vid of you scrolling down the games lists...

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:17 am

It's not the cleanest solution but you could take a directory listing of either your program directory (and remove the non-game related directories) or your game directory (assuming you have one for all games.)

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class

Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:57 pm

You can do a screen shot or print your library and keep a hard copy
Office PC:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 | ASUS M4A87TD Evo | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 970 4GB | Antec BP 550 | Antec 300 | Win 7 64
HTPC:
Intel i5-4570 | ASRock H87M | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 960 2GB | Corsair CX430M | Fractal Design Node 605 | Win 7 64

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Found Steam Calculator. For GOG and amazon, I guess I might have to save the HTML pages and try to parse them the hard way :S If anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears!

Vinceant
Gerbil XP

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Other than a directory screenshot, or just manually writing them down, you could do a screenshot of small mode. While viewing your library, open the view drop down menu. There should be an option for "Small Mode". It'll give you the opportunity to photoshop all the lists into a single shot pretty easily. However, updating it is going to be a pain.

Honestly, the best way to keep up with it is to make a google doc with a list that you can search. You can also more easily separate each list into what account they belong to that way. And, depending on how fast you type, it wouldn't take that long to write down all the games you own, would it? I've been on Steam and buying stuff since HL2 was new and I only have about 180 or so games.
Vae victus.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:38 pm

I have a handy little program on MS notepad that will compile a text list of all items in a folder that it's in. I use it for making easy lists of my movies. Got it from a friend back in college though so I'm not sure what the name is or where it came from.

If you're interested, PM me your email and maybe I can send it to you that way...It's worth a try.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Vinceant
Gerbil XP

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:41 pm

I can't seem to get Steam Calculator to work, but judging by the screenshots of the Steam interface, it's quite old (remember that olive green interface? Haven't seen that in years).
Vae victus.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:28 pm

DPete27 wrote:
I have a handy little program on MS notepad that will compile a text list of all items in a folder that it's in. I use it for making easy lists of my movies. Got it from a friend back in college though so I'm not sure what the name is or where it came from.

If you're interested, PM me your email and maybe I can send it to you that way...It's worth a try.

Thank you but I have only a dozen or so games installed in Steam so the folder list creator won't help me.

LostCat

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:54 pm

I'm guessing a long boring weekend is ahead of you.

With Steam at least you could probably just go to https://store.steampowered.com/account/ and print/save the page. I've never tried to use it outside of the client, but I imagine it'll work fine.

(On the off chance this is actually a good answer, I already own that game.)
Meow.

AntiSp4wn
Gerbil

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:35 am

The truth is there just isn't an easy automagical answer to give. Your best bet is to make a simple spreadsheet of all your games. This sounds painful but I bet you can compile it in under an hour, and going into the future when you buy a game you'll just take a second to add it to the spreadsheet. This beats a simple list because you can have extra columns for other pertinent fields, most important of which would be a "service" column so you could sort by steam games, amazon, etc., and you can do a ctrl+f search for games and see what service they're on. If you felt so inclined you could add ratings to it, other comments, serial/activation codes, genre, etc.

I know a manual solution with some upfront time doesn't sound too hot, but it's your best bet.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:26 am

Thank you, Savyg. I had forgotten about the Steam account page.

This could prove useful.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:32 am

Use xfire... It detects all your games when it starts. If you look at tools > options > games it displays all the installed ones.

Also if you look at tools > launch it displays games there too (although I'm unsure as to whether or not it displays all of them). Xfire also functions as a ingame IM system and keeps track of your time spent playing. You can set xfire to start on startup then minimize to the notification area and it doesn't take up bar space.