Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Re: World Of Warcraft

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:34 am

Mr Bill wrote:
Well, this week, I ran some heroics doing the lamest possible damage (sub 20K) and managed to pick up the Ilvl 470 Halloween agility ring, a very nice Ilvl 470 +873 agility trinket (to replace the Brewmaster stamina beer stein), and a 2.5K dps dagger (offhand is 2.1K dps); all of which bumped my Ilvl to 447. Suddenly I have more AP, going from about 16000 to 25000 and I am seeing dps ranging up into the mid 20s and even as high as the low 30's on some fights. But I also talented for shadow focus instead of night stalker and glyphed for expose armor. That talent change let me use shadow dance for no energy cost and may be responsible more than the gear for bumping my dps up 50%; at the expense of once again being slower than the rest of the 5-man in movement.

I just could not give up shadow step for preparation even though it will reset disarm, vanish, cloak of shadows, evasion, and sprint. I guess I will have to, to get the next step higher dps (because of resetting disarm and vanish). But to my mind, sprint is a poor substitute for shadow step and not as fun. So, again, there turns out to be only one good set of talents for dps. And the ones that make it fun; are once again, not useful for dungeons.

Edit: also, Iike you, this latest batch of gear (above Ilvl 450) has more haste and mastery and either hit or expertise. So, instead of wasting points on crit and forcing me to reforge crit and most of the haste and mastery to cap hit and expertise I have more haste and more energy.

Edit2: Got another 2.5K dagger and another trinket and the DPS is heading up over 30K. Its a long long slog but finally starting to be worth it.

[Image

Did my first raidfinder last night. Got the 2.7K dps Dagger of the Seven Stars on the first need roll. Was a good first experience in a raid run. We just rolled right through, what a blast!

X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
Did my first raidfinder last night. Got the 2.7K dps Dagger of the Seven Stars on the first need roll. Was a good first experience in a raid run. We just rolled right through, what a blast!

Finally got revered with Golden Lotus and got 4 drops in LFR :)

All LFR drops so far and all reputation purchasable valor gear available are gem slotted for spirit instead of agility. Can't wait till I finally pull down some straight agility gemmable gear.

X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:40 am

wait, you play a rogue and got spirit? WTF?

My hunter doesn't need mana anymore.....i'm onfused!

Also drunk. but doing pet battles right now.

i want pets. lots of! If i could have a plauged bat irl i would. love bats. but iwatn ablue one
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:04 am

Spirit? Color me confused??????

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:03 pm

No, let me clarify, I mean that the gem slots for the leather reputation 489 gear are blue (favoring spirit and intellect for druids and shamans) rather than red (rogue agility). I don't have any spirit on my rogue. Its just annoying to settle for lesser green, orange, and purple (agility plus some other stat) gems, rather than straight agility.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:36 pm

No, let me clarify, I mean that the gem slots for the leather reputation 489 gear are blue (favoring spirit and intellect for druids and shamans) rather than red (rogue agility). I don't have any spirit on my rogue. Its just annoying to settle for lesser green, orange, and purple (agility plus some other stat) gems, rather than straight agility.
'

Right there with you on my hunter. It's very annoying. The gear itemization is still better than vanilla, but man, they still got some way to go.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:51 am

You know that you can put any color gem in any color slot right? You just dont get the socket bonus, so if its a crap bonus just slot straight agility.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
You know that you can put any color gem in any color slot right? You just dont get the socket bonus, so if its a crap bonus just slot straight agility.

Yes, I do know that. My guild friends think this is a WOW strategy to make people make more choices and different choices to get to their end goals. Similar to reforging choices. Everybody has their own plan that matches their game play style and the differences are fairly small by design.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:34 pm

my 3 months is up in 2 days and I"m going to let it lapse. It was fun for a bit but it got stale again quickly enough. I may go back after the holiday madness, I don't know. I enjoy WoW in spurts.

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:10 am

It's mornings like this, where I'm up early, everyone else is sleeping, and I could easily just blow three hours screwing around in Azeroth. I'm glad I don't have Mists purchased or the game downloaded otherwise I probably would have started playing again. Miss my guildies. LOL

credible
Gerbil XP

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:08 am

5150 wrote:
It's mornings like this, where I'm up early, everyone else is sleeping, and I could easily just blow three hours screwing around in Azeroth. I'm glad I don't have Mists purchased or the game downloaded otherwise I probably would have started playing again. Miss my guildies. LOL

This is exactly how I'm using the game again, this xpac has a **** ton of stuff to do, you still can't find a better bang for your entertainment dollar out there imho.

Its a little easier for me as my wife plays as well but we both did come back after a year and a half for her and a year for myself, so I think that helps in making it more enjoyable.

Just do it:)

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:36 am

I've been playing my Frost DK a lot lately. I realize that WOW wants to keep everybody playing. Its annoying to play my rogue and watch nothing but dps plate drop and play my DK and see mostly leather and chain and tanking plate drop. I saw so much tanking gear drop that I joked with my guildies that WOW is trying to get more tanks. Then I thought about that. So, I started needing on tanking plate till I had a nearly complete set of 463 tanking plate. I bought a couple 450 pieces on the auction house and being a JC, made myself some 450 tanking rings. A good link for blood tanking is here...http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t130560-blood_tanking_actively_mitigating_since_before_cool/. I set my spec up and carefully chose my button arrangement and Sunday night announced I was ready to try tanking. Our guildy heals is very vocal about stupid tanks and dps and he volunteered to heal a few runs. Another guildy came along on a very buff DK to help out if things went south and we queued. I picked heroic Jade Temple as my first tanking experience. We ran the whole thing and it went smooth as butter! So, we queued again for random heroics twice more. First we got Stormstout Brewery where we drew a pally dps who seemed to think it was fun to throw judgement before the tank made a move. But I was able to gather and keep aggro so that worked out fine. Finally we ran Scarlet Monastery. There we got a jerk of a druid dpsing in bear form. He kept trying to grab agg by running ahead and jumping in first and I had to work to take it away from him. Our DK whispered him a couple times, that he was not the tank. When we reached the courtyard, I was going to LOS a few and then run us up the middle. I have often heard our heals bitterly complain about tanks that pull too big or too often, so I was going to try this to minimize the size of our pulls. But as we were doing this, he ran around and pulled the entire mob in the courtyard and wiped us before leaving party. However, we rezzed and finished the run without a hitch. Then we ran five scenarios for guild credit and then called it a night. The heals told me he would run heals for me anytime. I have to say that I thought tanking would be a drag but I actually enjoyed it very much. I pay close attention to what the tank does when I am on either my rogue or DK. Especially on the rogue because rogues have to get right in close and we are very aware of how hard the tank does or does not work to help the dps do their job.

I think a lot of tanking is in my near future if only to get my guildies faster queues. However, I can tell from reading, that I have a lot to learn before trying to tank for raid. But, hmmm, I may eventually do that too. :)

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Well for some reason I started doing archeology again. No idea why I did, but it is massively improved from the cata version. You get a level up from each time you gather shards along with there now being 8-9 points per dig. Makes it go a lot faster along with being able to turn in your mop discoveries for older shards. Finally finished a lot of the old ones I had stopped doing back around the beginning of cata. Now if I could just find some space to store all the archy stuff I have cluttering up my bags now.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:37 pm

That's good. Maybe I can face it again. I couldn't get going on it, just took so long.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Anybody have an idea why my Radeon HD 7870 is dragged to its knees during melee in LFR? The screen starts moving in slow motion stutters. Perhaps its a network bandwidth issue or do I need to reduce resolution?

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:48 am

One thing that can bring framerates to their knees in raids is shadows. I turn my shadows nearly off, as full shadows can reduce a good card to a slideshow when you got enough people running around.

superjawes

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:34 am

Anything 25-man slows things down. Try turning down a few settings like shadows, as Starfalcon mentioned, and see if you get any improvement.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:11 am

Mr. Bill trying going into the Catalyst Control Center and set the 'power' setting to +20.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:15 am

Well after 5 and a half years, finally got my thunderfury :D The baron decided to play nice and drop it for me. Since I was riding the legendary high, I decided to go hit black temple and see if I would get lucky there...and the offhand glaive dropped. Got to try this week again, maybe the MH will drop :D

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 am

Grats! So that's 3 legendaries for you isn't it?

superjawes

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:21 pm

I'm a newer player, so I'm kind of trying to get a Shadowmourne or Sulfuras. Shadowmourne shouldn't be too bad now that level cap is 90. Just need some primordial saronites and several ICC clears and I'll get it eventually. I think I convinced a bunch in my guild to start farming Invincible, so that should help even more :lol:

Although I'm thinking of just farming FL for a Sulfuras replacement...after all, can't transmog legendaries yet :/
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:50 pm

You are farming these as transmorg items?

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:27 am

You cant transmog legendaries unfortunately, or I am sure there would be a lot of people running around with them. The ones I just got I just sit with them on in town to look cool while chilling.

superjawes

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:56 am

I think they are doing a classic "looking into it" when it comes to legendaries. The main goal is to just look cool.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:07 pm

superjawes wrote:
I think they are doing a classic "looking into it" when it comes to legendaries. The main goal is to just look cool.

Part of me says that you shouldn't be able to transmorg Ledgendary's. The other part of me says that you should because most of the time you only used it for a short period of time before it became useless.

If they do allow transmorg I would hope they would put some stipulations on it like a date range when the weapon was dropped/completed. It really isnt fair to those that legitimately got them at the time versus those that are farming them at 90. :-?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

superjawes

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:18 pm

tanker27 wrote:
superjawes wrote:

Part of me says that you shouldn't be able to transmorg Ledgendary's. The other part of me says that you should because most of the time you only used it for a short period of time before it became useless.

If they do allow transmorg I would hope they would put some stipulations on it like a date range when the weapon was dropped/completed. It really isnt fair to those that legitimately got them at the time versus those that are farming them at 90. :-?

It still takes a lot of work to farm some of these legendaries, even at 90. The BC ones in particular were just random drops anyway...

The two solutions I see are either awarding a feat of strength for getting the legendary before the followup expansion released, but that might not be technically possible. The other, which may be better, would be to keep legendary quality items non-transmog-able, have a turn in where current owners can get an epic quality replica to transmog instead (they keep the orange item, too), and making all new legendary drops of epic quality. That way, people who already have them get the prestige of having a "genuine" legendary while still allowing those cool models to be used.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:28 pm

superjawes wrote:
Anything 25-man slows things down. Try turning down a few settings like shadows, as Starfalcon mentioned, and see if you get any improvement.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did turn down all settings to default and LFR does seem to be smoother now.

Starfalcon wrote:
You cant transmog legendaries unfortunately, or I am sure there would be a lot of people running around with them. The ones I just got I just sit with them on in town to look cool while chilling.
Hmmm, I did not know about that. :(

tanker27 wrote:
superjawes wrote:

I recently went in and did OS3D with 4 others, getting the black drake 4 times using eachother's alts. We were dropping the boss in seconds. Its conflicting should only those who got them at level be able to get them? Naw, I still enjoyed seeing content I had not seen before and the drake is cool looking; I'd want to be able to get it.

Speaking of which, I've really been enjoying tanking the MoP 5-man heroics with my DK. However, its starting to become routine, with the exception of the odd dps that runs ahead and pulls before I get there. It always gets a little exciting when things go wrong. But self heals are good for DK's and I've done a few battle rezes. Have not yet used similacrum or used magic shell to protect weaker dps as mentioned in this very useful reference.
http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t130560-blood_tanking_actively_mitigating_since_before_cool/

I am starting to wonder if I should start trying to tank LFR? Is it that much harder than heroics and that much easier than true raids?

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:38 pm

You can nearly sleep your way through LFR, as long as you have non afk dps and healers that are actual healers and not dps in for a fast que you are fine. Most of the time you can ignore a lot of the mechanics in LFR, and just burn through the bosses. It isn't until the higher parts of LFR that things get a little harder. Its a good way to get gear as you can que for it mostly in blues and getting 476 upgrades are a huge improvement at that level.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:12 pm

So at 90 it's warrior's turn to shine in the light of broken mechanics. I love being outhealed by a class with no heal spells, which has more armor, more damage, and more cc's than me.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:11 am

Well at least your not a rogue, otherwise known as the dying class. After the uptick at the end of cata, we are back in decline. I really like my rogue, but the many issues with the class are beginning to be a boat anchor on my joy in playing it. The upcoming blade flurry nerf is looking to kick the legs out of the last thing we do well, then there will be nearly no reason to bring a rogue anymore. I think the big issue is the class has drifted very far from what it was designed to be..a fast, moble, high dps machine.

The way rogues work now our dps is okay, but how it works has taken all the fun out of playing the class. We can do nearly 70% of our damage with plain melee autoattacks afk on a target dummy. The rest of the attacks we now wait to hit due to a massive haste scale down at the end of cata do so little damage as to be funny. On top of that, we have terrible fight mobility due to ramp time on our abilities and loss of combo points when we have to switch targets. Looking back at the beta, lots of rogues pointed out lots of these issues back in the massive rogue thread from back then. They fixed a few issues and slapped some bandaids over others, but they never fixed the fundamental underlying problem with rogues..we have become wholly dependent on melee autoattacks for nearly 3/4 of our damage.

It gives me hope they may finally get fixed, as ghostcrawler went from the launch of Mop saying rogues were the most perfectly designed class to they may need complete redesign for the next expansion. I guess we shall see how it shakes out over the course of the expansion.