Looking for a good Windows 8 book...

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 pm

...or two.

So far, I see several potential options:

Windows 8 for Dummies
Windows 8 Bible
Windows 8 inside out
Windows 8 secrets

Any thoughts? Or others I might consider?

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: Looking for a good Windows 8 book...

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Windows 8 Secrets was co-authored by Paul Thurrott. Certainly gains my interest.

Personally I tend to prefer certification books for this kind of learning.

Like so: Training Guide: Configuring Windows 8

These tend to give a more in-depth look at what is possible. Albeit it can delve into enterprise features.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:20 am

Nice suggestion, but the exam guide has not yet been released.

I'm installing it this week; would like to start studying before I install and configure it.

The Thurrott book looks interesting.

Whatever happened to the O'Reilly books "Annoyances"? I would have liked to have seen one for Windows 8; those always had some great suggestions for earlier OSs...

P.S. Preferences to Nook or Kindle editions. I'm trying to reduce my paper clutter and walls of books, so that maybe I can have a house and not a library. :o

BIF
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:01 pm

I spent some time in a Barnes & Noble cafe today and I decided to go with "Windows 8 Bible" and "Windows 8 In Depth"; both are available via Nook. The price on one of the books was $49.99 in the store, but via Nook none are more than $25, either in paperback or electronic form. No matter, I've decided to avoid paper. It's easier and easier to do now since both Amazon and Nook have eReaders available (I have a Nook) and there are software versions that run on nearly any hardware a person might have laying around.

So maybe someday I can get rid of all my old paper books and install a pitching machine in my living room instead! :lol: :D

"Windows 8 Secrets" looked good too, but for the same price, it seemed to contain a lot less information, and the prose in several passages was somewhat too "rah-rah Miccrosoft" for my liking. What I'm looking for in these types of reference guides is the straight p00p, and that means good or bad, along with solutions and options for getting around the bad. That's why I liked the "Windows Annoyances" series of books so very much! When an author and his/her editor have some reservations about the subject they are teaching about (be it an OS, a camera, a tablet, a car, or just about anything), this is when I think the content stands up the best over time. I'm not accusing Thurrott of being a shill or anything, but I did have to make a decision based on about 30 minutes with the book in hand; about the same amount of time for each of the other books.

If I feel the need for additional materials, I'll go with the text/study guide suggested by Ryu (assuming that it's released in sync with my needs/decision). Although some may disagree, I think another perfectly valid option for me would be the "Windows 8 For Dummies 10 in 1" book, because in several areas Leonhard gives you both sides of the story; he's not all "Pro Microsoft," and for me this makes up for the somewhat more "light" subject matter of this book. When touchy subjects are at least broached, the reader gets a starting point for further education. As a moderate-power-user, I find value in any book that brings up the concepts that Microsoft would rather gloss over. With a concept in hand, I am more aware and I can decide whether or not to go learn more on my own.

One other thing I've noted. None of my book choices seems to give very much comprehensive information on how I can reduce Microsoft's intrusion into my life and my business. Windows 8 is very much more of a tattletale than any previous version of Windows, and I think it's time I got a lot more serious about my personal privacy. That means gaining a better understanding of and possibly reducing my "minable profile" on Yahoo, Gmail, Apple, and Microsoft services. "10-in-1" does touch on this a little bit in the section that discusses the Windows 8 "Live Account" setup in light of personal privacy, and the book does compare/contrast the pros and cons of some settings to prevent Windows 8 from calling the mothership to tell about everything I'm doing. But even so, this subject is not treated in any of these books with the completeness that I want to see. A subject for further study, to be sure.

Ryu, thanks for the suggestions. Your helpfulness is always appreciated!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:26 am

One man's "annoyance" is another's "must-have feature". A lot of those are subjective. That's why we have multiple authors writing multiple books.

Google/Facebook arguably intrudes more than Microsoft, but they are all getting to the same place. You won't find the subject of protecting your privacy in those books, since this cloud business is mostly about getting you to willingly put information online. You pretty much have to channel your paranoia through RMS and his writings (which he will try to persuade you to compile+build your own Linux kernel+tools), or read the literature in the security/privacy realm (books may not be the best material since this keeps on changing though).
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:48 pm

BIF wrote:

One other thing I've noted. None of my book choices seems to give very much comprehensive information on how I can reduce Microsoft's intrusion into my life

Go to "PC Settings" and try to turn off as many options as you can :wink: For example, "Let Windows save my searches as future search suggestions", "let apps use my location", "help improve Windows Store by sending URLs for web content that apps use", and EVERYTHING under "Sync your settings", only use "Local account" instead of "Microsoft account" for logging in to your PC, and so on. Google Search will help you with the rest, no need to buy books for that :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:00 am

JohnC wrote:
BIF wrote:

One other thing I've noted. None of my book choices seems to give very much comprehensive information on how I can reduce Microsoft's intrusion into my life

Go to "PC Settings" and try to turn off as many options as you can :wink: For example, "Let Windows save my searches as future search suggestions", "let apps use my location", "help improve Windows Store by sending URLs for web content that apps use", and EVERYTHING under "Sync your settings", only use "Local account" instead of "Microsoft account" for logging in to your PC, and so on. Google Search will help you with the rest, no need to buy books for that :wink:

Heh...'turn off all this MS stuff!' then 'use Google to search for answers' :lol:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:30 am

Well... His question was about reducing evil M$ intrusions, so using Google for search is still fine in that context :wink:
Personally as much as I dislike some of what Google does I still alawys use Google Search for all my PC/laptops and mobile devices - unfortunately it's the only search engine that can find most relevant content very quickly, at least in my personal experience...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

BIF
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:52 pm

JohnC wrote:
Well... His question was about reducing evil M$ intrusions, so using Google for search is still fine in that context :wink:
Personally as much as I dislike some of what Google does I still alawys use Google Search for all my PC/laptops and mobile devices - unfortunately it's the only search engine that can find most relevant content very quickly, at least in my personal experience...

My experience is the same as yours, John. Google gives the most relevant search results for me too.

I despise "Bing". Sometimes their searches dump me into their "Wonderwall" site. I have no idea what the hell that thing is other than a huge gossip site. I don't really care who is effing whom or the ten best/worst dressed in Hollywood, or who's getting married/divorced/adopted/cloned. Social garbage, and useless to me.