Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Unable To Make a Bootable USB Pen Drive

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:37 am

Hi,

I have a regular desktop with Windows - 7 & an HP 16 GB Pen drive.

I am trying to write Win -8 ISO on a Pen drive & make it bootable but I keep getting error, " Permission Denied " when using " PoweISO " software as well as " Window 7 USB DVD Tool ".

I am able to write & erase other files with no problem.

I formatted it as FAT32 as well as NTFS but that doesn't help.

In security Tab I even changed permission to "Everyone"

I did run diskchk & no error found.

I had used it once before as a bootable pen drive to write Windows -8 on it & it did work then. After that I have been using it regularly for writing & erasing regular files & folders with no problems.

What is wrong ?

Thanks

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Unable To Make a Bootable USB Pen Drive

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:54 am

You can use DISKPART (a command line utility) to make the drive bootable.

Here is a guide.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:31 am

kumori wrote:
You can use DISKPART (a command line utility) to make the drive bootable.

Here is a guide.

Much appreciated but I almost get a heart attack when I here the word command prompt. I did look at it & it is not my cup of tea. Type the wrong letter & I might screw up my hard disk.

I am used to doing the things with mouse.

I wouldn't mind buying an app to do that if you have any suggestions.

Thanks again.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:53 am

The command line is your friend.

Restricting yourself to GUI only means you can only do things that other people have taken the trouble to *allow* you to do. It's like the difference between baking a cake by following the instructions on a pre-packaged cake mix, or learning how to bake a cake from scratch.

You are trying to bake a cake that doesn't have a pre-packaged mix. If you want to do things that typical consumers don't want or need to do, you may need to make a mess in the kitchen.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:26 am

just brew it! wrote:

Restricting yourself to GUI only means you can only do things that other people have taken the trouble to *allow* you to do. It's like the difference between baking a cake by following the instructions on a pre-packaged cake mix, or learning how to bake a cake from scratch.

You are trying to bake a cake that doesn't have a pre-packaged mix. If you want to do things that typical consumers don't want or need to do, you may need to make a mess in the kitchen.

Don't misunderstand me. I do appreciate his idea which is free.

But if you are asking people to go back to DOS versus paying premium for Win - XP, Win -7 OR Win-8, then my friend 99.999999999999999999 % of the people using computers would rather pay it than learn DOS.

If there wasn't for Windows, 99.99999999999 % of the people ( Including 80 years old granpa ) wouldn't be using computers & we will still be stuck with IBM main frame & punching cards & Tape.

Ask 80 yr old granpa or a kid if he would like to bake a cake from scratch or a premix & they probably would pass on a cake & rather eat cereal.

As I said I can afford an app & use the saved time making 10 times more doing things I like to do rather than lose my sleep over DOS.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:36 am

dan99t wrote:
Ask 80 yr old granpa or a kid if he would like to bake a cake from scratch or a premix & they probably would pass on a cake & rather eat cereal.

So... an 80 year old grandpa or kid would not be asking how to make a bootable USB pen drive! They'd be using (or not using...) whatever they were given, and not realizing that there was anything beyond that.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:47 am

Disk Management is a graphical interface to do practically everything diskpart does.

Right click on Computer and select Manage
Select Disk Management under Storage
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:01 am

dan99t wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

But if you are asking people to go back to DOS versus paying premium for Win - XP, Win -7 OR Win-8, then my friend 99.999999999999999999 % of the people using computers would rather pay it than learn DOS.

If there wasn't for Windows, 99.99999999999 % of the people ( Including 80 years old granpa ) wouldn't be using computers & we will still be stuck with IBM main frame & punching cards & Tape.

As I said I can afford an app & use the saved time making 10 times more doing things I like to do rather than lose my sleep over DOS.

LOL, I'm a 66 year old grandpa and I burn all my burnables from the command line, in a Linux Slackware install yet. It's quicker than calling up a GUI and clicking like a moron.

Wassamata son ... too tough for you.?
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:04 am

just brew it! wrote:
dan99t wrote:

So... an 80 year old grandpa or kid would not be asking how to make a bootable USB pen drive! They'd be using (or not using...) whatever they were given, and not realizing that there was anything beyond that.

Granpa would be looking for a GUI software he can understand & do the task rather than learning DOS & a kid would much rather eat cereal than learn how to bake a cake from scratch. You are not reading my comments.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:17 am

PenGun wrote:
dan99t wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

LOL, I'm a 66 year old grandpa and I burn all my burnables from the command line, in a Linux Slackware install yet. It's quicker than calling up a GUI and clicking like a moron.

Wassamata son ... too tough for you.?

How long ago did you start using Linux granpa ? I would say at least 15 years ago ? & how broke are you granpa that you can't even afford so many free utilities that does it in 3 clicks like "WINToBootic" ? Try it & you would bless me granpa.

Also ask your neighbours who started learning computers at your age, if they would learn DOS or sit on a beach clicking their laptop making few hundred bucks in stock market or their business & sip Pina Colada ?

My question was, why am I getting the errors & not whether I can do it without GUI.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:19 am

dan99t wrote:
Granpa would be looking for a GUI software he can understand & do the task rather than learning DOS & a kid would much rather eat cereal than learn how to bake a cake from scratch. You are not reading my comments.

In that case, Grandpa and his grandson will probably be giving up before making a bootable USB pen drive that reliably does what they want...

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:09 am

just brew it! wrote:
dan99t wrote:

In that case, Grandpa and his grandson will probably be giving up before making a bootable USB pen drive that reliably does what they want...

Aaha, finally light at the end of a tunnel.

All the GUI are made from DOS, just totally simplified for a small price.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:29 am

I burn CDs by being in the dir I have the .wav files and typing wob and hitting TAB which completes to woburn and runs my script that calls the burner and makes me a CD for my car.

It don't get much more effortless than that.

I fail to understand your almost religious hatred of the CLI which does all the work. Your cute little GUIs just call the command for you. typing it yourself is simple enough and does give you access to a much finer structured set of parameters that the command can execute. I mean learning the command line and practicing it in an appropriate manner might even get you to the legendary "use the force luke" hidden tags so useful in compelling aberrant practices upon innocent binaries. I mean who would not want to do that.

<< evil chuckle >>

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:19 am

PenGun wrote:
I burn CDs by being in the dir I have the .wav files and typing wob and hitting TAB which completes to woburn and runs my script that calls the burner and makes me a CD for my car.

It don't get much more effortless than that.

I fail to understand your almost religious hatred of the CLI which does all the work. Your cute little GUIs just call the command for you. typing it yourself is simple enough and does give you access to a much finer structured set of parameters that the command can execute. I mean learning the command line and practicing it in an appropriate manner might even get you to the legendary "use the force luke" hidden tags so useful in compelling aberrant practices upon innocent binaries. I mean who would not want to do that.

I guess you guys are missing the whole point of " A picture is worth 1000 words ".

It can't get any simpler than that.

Still not convinced ? Watch 60 min episode on " Autism "

Steve Jobs ( Actually Engineers at Apple ) did miracles with their ipod for millions around the world who couldn't speak but now do & it involves pictures & not command lines.

<< evil chuckle >>

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:17 am

dan99t wrote:
I am trying to write Win -8 ISO on a Pen drive & make it bootable but I keep getting error, " Permission Denied " when using " PoweISO " software as well as " Window 7 USB DVD Tool ".

Try right-clicking on your tools and selecting "run as administrator".
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:52 pm

Seymour Cray used to toggle an entire OS into his early Crays. Makes the command line look like cheating.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:19 pm

PenGun wrote:
Seymour Cray used to toggle an entire OS into his early Crays. Makes the command line look like cheating.

Piss off. You're not helping.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

pirate_panda
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:19 pm

I got this error when I tried to make a 64-bit windows 8 drive bootable using my 32-bit windows 7 computer. Could this be your problem? I fixed it by using an x64 win7 install on another computer.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 pm

bthylafh wrote:
PenGun wrote:

Piss off. You're not helping.

Just trying to get him past his ridiculous fear.of the command line. You want him to stay helpless?