Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

I just flashed my displayport cable with new firmware...

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 am

Serious... I didn't even know you could do this till I saw the F/W label on the back of it and went hmmm...

I have an Accell active Displayport to DVI cable and they have firmware updates with tweaks and performance enhancements on their website... Really cool all things considered, as it's just an adapter.

http://accellcables.com/support/FAQDP_Firmware.htm

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Re: I just flashed my displayport cable with new firmware...

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:46 am

What the EF? It's a brave new world......
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

esc_in_ks
Gerbil

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 am

So, how long is it until we have the first 0-day DisplayPort cable security vulnerability?
Home: PC-D600, Seasonic 850 Titanium, Apex X299, 7940X @ 4.1 GHz, H115i, 32G DDR4 3200, 960 Evo 1T+500G, 850 EVO 1T, GTX 1080, U3818+2x U2515h, Linux, Win10
Work: Arc Midi, 650TX, P8Z77-V LK, 3770, 32G, 830 128G, 2x1TB, NVS 295, 2xU3014, Linux

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:02 am

esc_in_ks wrote:
So, how long is it until we have the first 0-day DisplayPort cable security vulnerability?

Its already happened
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 am

tanker27 wrote:
esc_in_ks wrote:

Its already happened

I think he meant an attack that actually makes use of a vulnerability in the cable's firmware.

Not as far-fetched as it sounds, but I think in order to make it work someone would probably need to load hacked firmware into the cable first. DisplayPort spec has a provision to allow USB to be piggybacked on it, though I have no idea if anyone actually implements this part of it; there's all sorts of nefarious stuff you could do with a hidden USB connection into the system. For example... watch for the display to go to sleep indicating nobody's sitting in front of the system and start injecting keystrokes.

The piggyback USB interface (if implemented) could even provide an opening for malware in your monitor's firmware to mess with your system!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Oh, wow. That's just asking for trouble. I'm sure there are certain state players that are excited by the possibilities.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:59 pm

OH THE POSSIBILITIES!

Inside the second: Are cheap displayport cables adding to your frametimes?

Newest Geek Prank: Hacked Displayports - Simply swap cables on your buddy's rig and watch as his image randomly rotates 45 degrees every 15 minutes !
I am jaded. I am cynical.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:17 pm

I know you meant this as a joke, but...
lilbuddhaman wrote:
OH THE POSSIBILITIES!

Inside the second: Are cheap displayport cables adding to your frametimes?

Unlikely, given that this would imply a lot of buffering in the cable's electronics (and lots of fast buffer RAM costs money).

lilbuddhaman wrote:
Newest Geek Prank: Hacked Displayports - Simply swap cables on your buddy's rig and watch as his image randomly rotates 45 degrees every 15 minutes !

Haha, I want to do this! Rotating would be difficult, but mirroring left/right would be relatively easy (minimal processing and only one scan line worth of buffering). Or selectively dim areas of the image to make it look like the backlight is failing. :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Wha? We're not taking about just a cable per se, we're talking about an active (powered) adapter. These active DisplayPort to dual link DVI adapters have a built in chip that reclocks the DP signal to make it compatible with DVI (as DP is not the same signal as HDMI and DVI).

As to why you would need a firmware update, I don't know - maybe for improved power management, signal handshaking or for making the adapter potentially compatible with a future DP spec?

Anyway, any device with a built in control chip has firmware (though many may not be intended to be flashed/upgraded)... So what if it is a DP --> DVI converter?

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:58 pm

And in other news, AMD's new displayport firmware address micro-stutter...

(yes, I went there)
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:20 am

According to the website: "The new firmware increases the threshold in the adapter allowing it to better respond to the signal strength from the graphic card. This is a performance enhancement that would benefit your adapter and we suggest that you update the adapters firmware. "