Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Re: World Of Warcraft

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:16 am

Starfalcon wrote:
we have become wholly dependent on melee autoattacks for nearly 3/4 of our damage.

Go tell that to a Feral Druid.

(BTW my first toon was a rogue, raided all of vanilla and BC with it. I was THE combat rogue everyone hated back then because I rolled on DPS swords and Maces. Ah those were the days.)

You know part of me wants to pick up MOP and see what the fuss is all about.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:49 am

Yeah rogues are as weak as they have ever been right now in PvP.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Starfalcon wrote:
we have become wholly dependent on melee autoattacks for nearly 3/4 of our damage.

Go tell that to a Feral Druid.

(BTW my first toon was a rogue, raided all of vanilla and BC with it. I was THE combat rogue everyone hated back then because I rolled on DPS swords and Maces. Ah those were the days.)

You know part of me wants to pick up MOP and see what the fuss is all about.

Actually feral druids are all about stacking their bleeds and bleed buffs up now. Feral druids can do a suprising amount of damage now with how all their abilities stack and interact. They are very different than how they were in cata even, now that guardian was seperated out from feral and their abilities were redesigned. Feral has evolved from its rogue roots to be a different animal now, where as rogues are still very stagnant.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Feral has evolved from its rogue roots to be a different animal now, where as rogues are still very stagnant.
Sounds like they need to put the team that revamped warlocks on it.

Cross your fingers, though. With the feral revamp and monks using energy, I have a feeling that they might get a better feel of how to use energy-based DPS classes soonTM.

Although they probably just need to buff your autoattack or weapon damage in the short term. A pure DPS class should have at least one competitive spec.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:54 pm

The problem isn't buffing our auto attacks, those are too much damage right now as it is. They really need to reduce the damage of auto attacks and make our actual attacks and finishers be the source of damage...that way our button presses actually hit for more than a wet noodle. Plus I dod beleive they will put the walock team on rogues for next exp..monks have pretty much become what rogues used to and should be. Hopefully they can save the rogue class from extinction.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 am

If ninja panda monks can be tanks, well, why not rogues?

X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:33 am

Mr Bill wrote:

Wait wut....Seriously the new class can be a tank? Like legitimately be a tank with dodge, parry, and block?

What weapons can it use? Does it use shields?

OK I am now officially intrigued in MOP and I quit WOW well over a year ago.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:41 am

Monk's don't use block. They're very much like feral druids, but with different abilities like stagger, which spreads out damage you take over time rather than all at once. I think they have parry, but I'd have to look again to make sure. They use staffs, polearms, 1H swords and maces, and daggers. (Think that's all of them). Not sure if the tank spec is supposed to use 2H weapons or can DW, but the DPS spec certainly can.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Well Mop is a very different animal from cata...you should at least try it out. Just off the top of my head, they made archeology fun to do now along with pet battles...got to get them all :D

credible
Gerbil XP

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:18 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:

Wait wut....Seriously the new class can be a tank? Like legitimately be a tank with dodge, parry, and block?

If you have the time Tanker, just do it, I promise you will enjoy the game again, I was off for over a year as well and I am still having a blast, particularly being a ret pally who is not supposed to be able to put up big numbers:)

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 pm

I have only been playing just over a year now. All the classes have had their specs reconfigured (e.g. nerfed in the case of rogues). In the case of the Death Knight; only 2HW blood spec can tank. However, they are such good tanks. They get this blood shield that depends on base mastery and previously unhealed damage. So by delaying heals and then self healing, you can build up quite a respectable blood shield to stop burst damage. Its actually quite fun to be the tank.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:56 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:

Here are a couple links to the Monk Tanking Class: Brewmaster

http://elitistjerks.com/f99/t129790-brewmaster_tank_basic_discussion/

http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/monk/brewmaster

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:13 am

So after a year and a half break. I logged in.

Man so much has changed but yet the world still stands.

But first I have to fix all these bugs. (even after updating them) I guess I'll just delete all my addons, except for Bartender, then add them back once I need them.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:14 am

Yeah, MoP killed several addons, and the authors of said addons have quit or were slow developing patches. Good news is that the Blizzard interface is much better than it used to be, so something like Bartender is the only thing I must have to play.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:26 am

superjawes wrote:
Yeah, MoP killed several addons, and the authors of said addons have quit or were slow developing patches. Good news is that the Blizzard interface is much better than it used to be, so something like Bartender is the only thing I must have to play.

So off the top of my head, what about the following:

ORA2
Threat meter
Deadly boss mod
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:52 am

tanker27 wrote:
ORA2
Threat meter
Deadly boss mod

I've never heard of ORA2.
Threat doesn't matter anymore. Tank threat got buffed in patch 4.3 because tanks already had enough responsibility.
DBM is still updated and functional.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:21 am

Most video game stuff is blocked at work. What is the Bartender addon?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:32 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:

It changes the action bars, Gives you six rows of buttons and stuff, highly customize-able. I prefer it to the basic stuff.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:43 am

tanker27 wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:

It changes the action bars, Gives you six rows of buttons and stuff, highly customize-able. I prefer it to the basic stuff.

Dominos is an alternative as well. I still use bartender, but they aren't the only ones with an action bar addon.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:13 am

Amazingly CTmod is still around and updated, along with Cosmos those were the first set of mods I used back in vanilla. I personally havnet used bartender yet, been rolling the defualt UI since I started..mainly because I really dont have that many buttons to hit as a rogue. Might give it a shot, been adding a ton of new addons recently...whats another one.

superjawes

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:43 am

Here's what I use.

"Real" Addons:
Addon Control Panel (let's you swap addons without logging out)
Altoholic
AtlasLoot Enhanced
Bagnon
ForteXorcist
Healbot (for my healers)
IceHUD
Overachiever
Postal
Prat 3.0
Quartz
ReforgeLite
Skinner (I only use this to adjust the viewport)
TidyPlatesTipTac
Titan
xanMortarPestle

Just for fun Addons:
Redeemer
Eliteframe
TB_Emo-tes
Awwwww!

I actually have others in there that I don't use anymore. A few that I experimented with as replacements. Might need to clear out my Addon folder soon.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:55 am

Starfalcon wrote:
Amazingly CTmod is still around and updated, along with Cosmos those were the first set of mods I used back in vanilla. I personally havnet used bartender yet, been rolling the defualt UI since I started..mainly because I really dont have that many buttons to hit as a rogue. Might give it a shot, been adding a ton of new addons recently...whats another one.

I wonder if Cosmos still installs their rootkit.

Yes it was the first and it also spied on you and really messed with your machine. I wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole, ever.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:02 am

Speaking of mods, has anyone messed around with SpartanUI in the last few weeks? I love a lot of things about it, but it locks too many variables for me to be able to use it.

Supposedly they were updating it to be more modular.

EDIT: looks like Carbonite might have already done their modular update. Might have to check that out when I get home, too.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:51 am

tanker27 wrote:
Starfalcon wrote:

I wonder if Cosmos still installs their rootkit.

Yes it was the first and it also spied on you and really messed with your machine. I wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole, ever.

Cosmos is long dead, It ceased at the begining of wrath and only a few parts of it are still around, but they havent been updated since the begining of cata. I been keeping them runnign with TOC updates, and a couple of LUA repairs. I really like my durability status and easymail.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:37 am

My favorite addons...
I use Curse Client to manage my add ons...

SliceCommander: (absolute must for my rogue)
Recount: (lets you track dps, heals, damage, latency, raid damage, etc, in real-time)
OmniCC: (must have! puts a countdown timer on every icon so you know how long before you can mash it)
GTFO: (best utility ever for helping you not to stand in any color of fire, sound cues)
Deadly Boss Mods: (Gives you timers and hints for what each boss does in a fight)
AtlasLoot Enhanced: (handy to see on the spot what any particular boss might drop or to search for an item and find out who drops it)
Altoholic: (lets you see the contents of your GB and all your tunes bags and banks)
Auctionator: (auction house add on)
Auctioneer: (auction house add on)
Gatherer: (HUD for where minerals and herbs have been mined disabled in Pandaria but works elsewhere)
Blood Shield Tracker: (for my DK tank)
Coordinates: (just puts x-y coordinates unobtrusively on you mini map so you can find things you googled)
SilverDragon: (for finding rares)
Fishing Buddy: (gives you stats for what you are currently fishing and what you got there last time)
MogIt: (lets you see what an item looks like on your character if you mouse over it)
Archy: (helps you locate the nearest archeological site, usually toggled off because annoying if not looking for sites)

I have a couple others I am evaluating to keep track of DK runes and blood shield but have not decided which are best.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Well after 5 and a half years, finally got my thunderfury :D The baron decided to play nice and drop it for me. Since I was riding the legendary high, I decided to go hit black temple and see if I would get lucky there...and the offhand glaive dropped. Got to try this week again, maybe the MH will drop :D

That is a cool looking sword. It got me thinking and I did the Eastern gate of Stratholme 5 times a couple days ago and finally got [Skullforge Reaver] http://www.wowhead.com/item=13361 to drop. I wanted it for transmorg for my dual wield frost DK, because its a clean one-hand runed DK design with nice purple glow and wears cris-cross on the back. Can't use the Bloodsoaked Skullforge Reaver heirloom because that is a main-hand weapon. But that one has the same appearance.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:04 am

Yeah there are a ton of cool swords in the game, and I have a ton of them in my bank and void storage. Sadly it seen so far this exp that there are no real swords for rogues...just daggers and fist weapons. With the new transmog roll out with 5.2 you will be able to change whole families to other weapons, except fists stay fists and daggers stay daggers. Other classes can change 2h swords/maces/axes and 1h swords/maces/axes amonst each other...why no love for the rogue?

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:21 am

Starfalcon wrote:
Yeah there are a ton of cool swords in the game, and I have a ton of them in my bank and void storage. Sadly it seen so far this exp that there are no real swords for rogues...just daggers and fist weapons. With the new transmog roll out with 5.2 you will be able to change whole families to other weapons, except fists stay fists and daggers stay daggers. Other classes can change 2h swords/maces/axes and 1h swords/maces/axes amonst each other...why no love for the rogue?

That would be interesting. I already tried transmorging a one-hand sword with the 2H Fellsteel sword, and no joy. I like that 2H Fellsteel look.

superjawes

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:34 am

Starfalcon wrote:

Poor rouges seem like the new shaman...

And that is going to suck for you guys. I knew about the axe/mace/sword restrictions lifting, but that doesn't leave you guys with a lot that can be done to transmog. They're not lifting the legendary restriction, either, so not even those daggers are an option.

I think they at least should let you do swords on daggers. The animation would be close enough (or would still look alright). Otherwise, ya'll are stuck with going combat if you want any interesting transmog.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:58 pm

My current favorite transmorg for my subtlety rogue is http://www.wowhead.com/item=70155/brainsplinter. It was the first weapon I paid to have crafted after gathering all the mats myself. It took many weeks of grinding to gather the mats (worth ~8000GP at the AH) and even though I got a better dagger in Hour of Twilight; I've always preferred Brainsplinter for looks.