Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Are there any Viable Dual Server Case Options?

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:38 pm

So the Rosewill case article on today's home page woke up a long-standing interest of mine, and that is the possibility of having a case capable of supporting two complete systems, complete with separate power supplies, backplane I/O areas, room for separate (or combined) cooling solutions, and ample room for routing water lines and radiator placement.

I already have enough parts to build a smaller Q6600 based server right now, and sometime in mid to late summer I would like to build a fast 2-socket folding monster that can also serve as a back-room server for backups or file server duties, etcetera. I'm not really enthusiastic about building a rack system to put into a spare bedroom, and two tower boxes might be more flexible, but less desirable in a bedroom. Conversely, a single king-sized box could be a great addition and once the dual Xeon (probably) system was up and running, then the Q6600 could be repurposed for use as courtesy computer for houseguests or maybe a home security DVR system, all while living in the same box.

I've seen some large cube-shaped cases that might potentially support two separate systems, but it's been awhile since I looked, and this is really a niche specialty item, which sort of limits search possbilities.

For this system, big slow fans would be desirable and of course bling would be great, so windows and lights are on the list, as long as most lights could be shut off for houseguests who might need to sleep at some point.

Thoughts, suggestions?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Are there any Viable Dual Server Case Options?

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Get two identical mid-tower cases, take the left side panel off of one and the right side panel off the other one, and bolt them together? :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dposcorp

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:37 pm

I only know of these:

http://www.calpc.com/catalog/large_server.html

Mountain Mods makes 1 or 2 as well.
http://www.mountainmods.com/ascension-d ... p-463.html

This THERMALTAKE MOZART TX VE1000SWA can hold a Atx and mini ITX board.
http://thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1433&ID=1415

BIF
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Yes, the Mountain Mods are the ones I was looking at before. Those are excellent cases, with lots of versatility and options. When the time comes, I may ask them if they can make sides and tops that will accomodate the large 230mm fans.

I've become a big fan of big fans, I guess you could say (har har har!). :P