Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: Gun prOn!

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:14 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
As an enthusiast who subscribes to three gun magazine

are there three decent gun magazines that aren't all just advertisements (sometimes disguised as reviews?)

I'd love to subscribe to one good gun mag, and one good technology mag
Shooting Times can be quite good, and American Rifleman still has content in between the pages of political commentary. I am letting my Guns and Ammo subscription expire though for the reasons you state.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:06 am

Vrock wrote:
I am letting my Guns and Ammo subscription expire though for the reasons you state.

Psshaw, that's only because your small guns skill is over 92% and will no longer increase from reading it!

Srsly though, the kind of problem paulWTAMU speaks of is annoyingly widespread across multiple different industries. I like magazines too, but it's difficult to find one in any given subject that's actually worth reading. Without a recommendation from someone knowledgeable it's a crapshoot.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:18 am

Ozenmacher wrote:
Sig Sauer SP2022 chambered in .40 with a Streamlight TLR-1.
This is a home defense firearm and a late night hiking buddy in Anchorage (I walk a lot at night to get away from crowds...and because I work rotating shifts including midnights).
Do you carry it with the light attached? My wife is looking for a holster with room for a light and we're having trouble finding something she likes.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:37 am

Darkmage wrote:
My wife is looking for a holster with room for a light and we're having trouble finding something she likes.

http://oldfaithfulholsters.com
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:24 pm

I just went ahead and subscribed to Shooting Times. Not really expensive (15 bucks) so even if I don't like it I'm not out much :)

Glorious: yeah, every hobby I have, the magazines for it have that problem. Pisses me off.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Bought my first gun since moving to america.
Ruger 10-22 tactical. The magazines are already jumping in price. Should be a nice cheap gun for target practice or squirrel & rabbit hunting.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Dagwood
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:14 am

Just shot 100 rounds through my first gun. Smith and Wesson M&P semi auto 9mm. A rimfire rifle is on my short list of fire arms I need to buy. That 10/22 is a popular one.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:02 am

Those M&Ps are nice pistols. I like them better than Glocks, and they're American made to boot. There's a five inch tactical version in .45 that I wouldn't mind having.

Dagwood
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:10 am

I went back and forth between this one and the 45. It was especially hard because I live in CA and 10 rounds is the limit. The 9 won out because of the price of the ammuntion for a 9mm is cheaper than the 45. Pictures will have to wait till I post from home.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:13 am

With ammo costs skyrocketing and availability plummetting, I'm glad I cast lead bullets for .45, 9mm, and .38/.357.

I will probably start casting for some of my rifles as well.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 am

Vrock wrote:
With ammo costs skyrocketing and availability plummetting, I'm glad I cast lead bullets for .45, 9mm, and .38/.357.

You starting with raw lead or with wheel balancing weights (which have some antimony in them)? Dad was into this in the '70s and he's got cupcake-pan ingots of melted wheel weights in boxes in the cellar.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:13 pm

I use straight wheel weights. I shoot full-bore .357 magnum loads with these without any issues. For the life of me I can't get 9mm to shoot in either of my Walthers without leading, it's got to be the barrels in those guns because it shoots fine in my S&W 909.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:24 pm

Vrock wrote:
I use straight wheel weights. I shoot full-bore .357 magnum loads with these without any issues. For the life of me I can't get 9mm to shoot in either of my Walthers without leading, it's got to be the barrels in those guns because it shoots fine in my S&W 909.

Dad reloaded .38 Spl with cast wadcutters as his carry gun during the VT State Fair. He & I ran the treasurer's office and there was a lot more cash sitting there than anyone expected, so he carried (why not his M1911??). Office even had an old-style massive oak counter with the wrought-iron bars between them and us that probably came from some bank that went Tango Uniform back in the 1930's.

Mom never got over the fact that the "ingot mold" was her best muffin pan. The resulting "muffins" were used as ballast and for family jokes through today.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
... so he carried (why not his M1911??)
Probably due to size/weight and the concern over carrying cocked and locked. Those are the reasons why I don't carry a 38 oz. 1911, but instead carry a 13 oz. .38 Special revolver.

Captain Ned wrote:
... Mom never got over the fact that the "ingot mold" was her best muffin pan. The resulting "muffins" were used as ballast and for family jokes through today.
Heh. I buy most of lead on eBay, of all places, because it's easier than refining the wheel weights myself and it's still pretty cheap, but lots of the lead I get is in "muffin" form. :)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Vrock wrote:
Heh. I buy most of lead on eBay, of all places, because it's easier than refining the wheel weights myself and it's still pretty cheap, but lots of the lead I get is in "muffin" form. :)

Dad & I must have melted off several hundred pounds of wheel weights, all in a battered saucepan sitting in an old charcoal-fired hibachi grill. Don't even want to think of the fumes I shouldn't have breathed. My job was to fish around in the melt pot for the steel rim clips. There's still a piece of 2x8 lumber in my parents' garage with a 6-spot muffin pan pattern burned into it as that is what the "ingot pan" rested on when we poured off the melt.

EDIT: As for carry, I get it. His .38 Spl was (is) a real snub-nose, so it had to be light. The M1911 was not only too heavy but probably had serious "punch-through" issues (he only ever loaded Ball for it) that a .38 Spl cast-lead wadcutter would never have.

Dagwood
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:15 am

Picture of previously mentioned first gun

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:38 am

how do ya'll conceal the printing on revovlers? My snubby shows if I'm wearing less than my duster--which makes it unusable for pretty much 10 months out of the year.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:19 am

A good pocket holster should help, Paul.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:09 am

Hm. tried to shove it in my jean pockets and that won't work. My work slacks would though; much larger pockets than my jeans.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:33 pm

This might not be the thread for it but looking for some recommendations / thoughts on the guns below. Preferrably thoughts with experience to back up the thoughts. I'm planning to buy a handgun in 9mm soon.. possibly before I have a chance to make it to the range to shoot them ( due to busy work schedule /no time before potential mag ban).

Short list:
FNH FNS-9,
Glock Gen4 17 or 19,
Springfield Armory XD(m),
Beretta 92A1,
Sig Sauer P-226
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:50 pm

I've no experience with the FN, but I'd rate the others as follows:

Glock. Ubiquitous, reliable. Ugly. Shoots well. Polygonal barrel, which limits you to jacketed ammo, but is easier to clean. I tend to shoot low with Glocks due to the grip frame.

XD. Shot one once. Nice pistol, comes with XD gear which is decent. A bit more expensive than the Glock.

Beretta. Eh. It's okay. I don't care for the aluminum frame/balance of the Beretta, and the grip is wide.

One gun I think you should add to your list is the Smith and Wesson M&P. I like it better than the Glock or XD. Fantastic ergonomics, good trigger, just a great feeling gun. Plus, it's American made. Contrary to popular belief, the Springfield XDs are Croatian, not American.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Vrock wrote:

I was on the Impact Guns site a few days ago just poking around. After a half hour, I was unable to find one, single item that was in stock. Everything I looked at, from guns to parts, was either out of stock or on backorder. Their warehouse must have nothing but dust in it. I have not looked at ammo in a while. Is it also a victim of panic buying?
I wish I had gone to med school.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Yes, ammo has been snatched up like crazy. Especially .223, 9mm, and .45 Auto.

Fortunately I reload and have a smallish stash of ammo, but I won't be shooting any of my .223 for a while. Better to save it and see what happens.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Heh. I've got a few hundred rounds of Wolf .223 from my father, who won't be using it. Wonder how much I can profit here...
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Dagwood
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:43 am

@Danny
You can also add Ruger's 9mm semi autos too.
I don't understand the no time thing. As a first time shooter gettin' 2 hours at the nearest gun range should be done before anything else. I live in California were we don't like guns and you can not drive 30minutes in any direction without running into a gun range. All of the pistols you mentioned are usually for rent. You need to get to a gun range and try them out. I can second the S&W M&P 9mm semi auto. Comparing it to a Glock 17, it feels better to hold and has more rounded corners, and the stock sites are great. You can see them in that fuzzy picture I posted. In Glocks favor parts for it are available at Bass Pro right off the shelf. Getting 33 round aftermarket magazines is possible for Glocks (not in CA), but I am not sure if that is even made for a S&W M&P.

As far as Home defense is concerned, after shooting a 100 rounds, I see a shotgun purchase in my near future. :o

P.S. Search for Hickok45 on Youtube.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:16 am

A 33 round magazine for a pistol seems like you would sacrifice usability, balance, etc. to me.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Yeah, big mags like that are just willy-waving. Stick with standard-sized ones and learn to change them quickly.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:50 am

danny e. wrote:
This might not be the thread for it but looking for some recommendations / thoughts on the guns below. Preferrably thoughts with experience to back up the thoughts.

FNH - No experience.

Glock - Glocks are like opera. You usually love 'em or hate 'em. Cheap, reliable, indestructible, ubiquitous. The 19 is a better carry weapon unless you're a big guy. With a little practice, you will learn to love the trigger.

XD - I've owned two of these. The first one was before Springfield bought the import rights and it was known as the HS2000. It's like a Glock, but with features. The trigger is essentially a heavy single-action all the time, which is always fun. It's about like a Glock trigger but... not.

Beretta - As a polymer pistol fan, the 92 always seems heavy to me. It functions well, but the barrel seems to be higher in my grip than I'm used to. Accuracy is kind of meh for the first round due to the long pull on the double/single trigger. I prefer consistent pulls across the entire string, but if that's not important for you then rock on. The safety doubles as a decocking lever, IIRC. Of course, you can always carry it cocked, but that makes for a really light trigger pull.

Sig - Sig's are great weapons, but heavy. I'm not really a fan of the separate decocking lever, preferring the Beretta's system. Honestly, I prefer the system on the Walther P99, but that's not on your list (but it should be!). Sig's don't recoil much due to the weight. They're also kind of expensive. They do have a great reputation for reliability. Like the Beretta, the trigger is a double/single design. It has been many years since I have shot a Sig, but my memory puts them as "like the Beretta, but more so". More weight, more height on the slide, more accuracy out the loud end, more money out of the wallet.

Honestly, you have some great choices up there. It's hard to go wrong these days. As others have posted, I would look at the Smith & Wesson M&P series as well. I haven't shot one yet but several people I know love 'em to death.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:16 am

Anyone think this would make a very unique lawn ornament ?? :)

AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:23 am

That would be the M65 "Atomic Cannon" at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds artillery/armor museum.