Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Ever have dreams or nightmares that seem too real?

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:29 am

I was just woken up this morning by a real nightmare..that there's a zombie apocalypse going on..and me,my mom,and my dad all have handguns.

We've decided to commit suicide before we turn into zombies.

Before the zombies arrive,we each blow our brains out one at a time..starting with my dad.Then my mom,crying..blows her brains out. Finally I put the gun up to my head and pull the trigger,showering my dead mom and dad with my own brain matter.

At that minute..I woke up,and realized it was a nightmare.Really scared me..

wintermane666
Gerbil

Re: Ever have dreams or nightmares that seem too real?

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:40 am

I used to have this dream where I was in a post apoc mega market looking at all these ultra econ 50 lb boxes of cereal and as I franticaly wander about I cant find the captain crunch.... After looking for a long time I finaly get realy angry and each time wake up angry as hell.

That one dream alone has made me buy that cereal about 12 times so far... mumble. Funny thing is I never have the dream unless im out of the cereal....

Dagwood
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:44 am

/freud/
That sounds like you need to call your mom and dad, when was the last time you talked to them?

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:58 am

As I've gotten older, it seems to have become more difficult to recall details of dreams after I wake up. So by the time I'm awake enough to think clearly, I can remember that there *was* a nightmare, and that it scared the crap out of me, but the details fade really quick.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:44 am

Just got off the phone with Mom,and that helped lessen the nightmare a little.

God,it seemed so real..and then I woke up.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:15 pm

Stop eating cheese before you go to bed, or if you must eat cheese, don't sleep alone.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:24 pm

I too had dreams that i thought were real, while i was dreaming, only to give a big sigh of relief when i woke and being glad it was only fiction. Suffice to say they all involved some sort of conflict (at school when i was younger, or at work more recently) but they are very rare and none as violent as yours. Most of the time i can't recall my dreams.

Speaking of dreams, i'm no expert, but i seem to recall that after some time (after the recommended hours of sleep which i think it's 7 or 8 hours) of sleep you're brain will be more likely to generate a dream. I mostly have been sleeping under 8 hours each night (generally speaking, i sleep more on weekends) for the last year or so i guess that "helped"

This video is on topic. If you're interested i guess you could read some books about sleep and dreams.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:46 pm

No dream has ever seemed "real" to me. However, I have had lucid dreams several times... and those are always fun. I've had a couple instances where the lucide dreams were also in color and that was really cool. I was trying to run all over and see everything really quickly. Sadly, seems like the color ones never lasted long.

I havent had any lucid dreams for quite a while. :(
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:06 pm

Heads up: Looking at some of your recent posts, I see both difficulty falling asleep and vivid dreaming. Temporary sleep-cycle disruptions happen to a lot of people, especially during periods of stress (school, work, family, lifestyle changes...). But if these symptoms persist more than a week or so, a more serious health problem may be emerging, in which case don't let it continue without talking to your doctor.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Boy did I ever, I dreamed I was dating this psycho biotch that was mentally abusive and did unbelievable things to her family and friends. Oh, wait, not a dream, but it doesn't lessen the fact it was a nightmare. :wink:

Long time ago now, still scarred for life.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Don't worry, Blondie, dreams that seem real are very common for Portland residents. It's common (something to do with the local fauna) for Portlandians to often confuse real life with fantasy.

When I was really young, I had a pretty active imagination. I've always had fears of situations that were not under "my control". One vivid dream I had was after watching one of those volcano movies that were popular in the late 90's. My family would escape the house through the back door, my mother would run down the stairs last, fall, break her leg then get burned alive by lava. Another dream I have always occurs right before I wake up to vomit. I'll be running around a baseball diamond, from base to base, then before I can get to third base I start running slow as if being held back by an elastic bad. My whole body becomes more sluggish until I stop. Then I wakeup... and run to the bathroom. A third reoccurring dream that I have is me falling down a sliding pole at a playground. I get up, see a cop car driving on the other side of the fence. Blood runs down my vision (like in goldeneye). I wake up. The weird part is all the details about that dream are the same. The first two dreams have lots of room to play, the third one is always the same. The playground has small riverstone, it's at a very sunny location, it appears coastal, the cop car is always driving from right to left (slowly) and the street the car is on is at roughly a 30 degree angle to me.

I also have "prophetic" dreams, deja vu, whatever you'd like to call them. That seem REALLY specific. I'll wake up the next morning and not understand where I was, though I'll usually recognize who I'm with. Years later I'll think back to it. Whether or not my brain just has a very loose dream and later recreates it with some artistic liberty, I don't know. It seems more fun to call them prophetic dreams, assuming they are harmless and I don't get too swollen over them. I don't worry about them too much though.

Anyways, the emotional aspect of dreams can be very tough as they can replicate our worst possibilities. Please, don't be too hard on yourself and just remember to appreciate your family if you can. Not everyone has the opportunity. :)

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Yep. Particularly if I fall asleep sitting up or after a heavy meal.
So I do try not to do that; apparently my subconscious can be weird as hell.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:17 pm

Don't have that issue with horrific nightmares, but I do suffer from sleep paralysis quite a bit. I have an episode once or twice a week and it sucks. One time it dragged on for about ten minutes because I was trying to fight it. Now I've learned when I'm having an episode I should just go back to sleep as quickly as possible.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:22 pm

my problem is the opposite; more than one time I've woken up while rolling out of bed! it hurts (seriously, it's painful to wake up that way)
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:41 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
Don't have that issue with horrific nightmares, but I do suffer from sleep paralysis quite a bit. I have an episode once or twice a week and it sucks. One time it dragged on for about ten minutes because I was trying to fight it. Now I've learned when I'm having an episode I should just go back to sleep as quickly as possible.

One of my daughters used to suffer from this. Scared the crap out of us until we learned it is not that uncommon.

paulWTAMU wrote:
my problem is the opposite; more than one time I've woken up while rolling out of bed! it hurts (seriously, it's painful to wake up that way)

I know someone who can top that. A friend and co-worker of mine once picked up his wife and threw her out of the bed because he woke up in the middle of a nightmare that they were about to be run over by a train!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:18 am

just brew it! wrote:
I know someone who can top that. A friend and co-worker of mine once picked up his wife and threw her out of the bed because he woke up in the middle of a nightmare that they were about to be run over by a train!

Oh my God, that could be grounds for divorce. Or a life-sentence of taking out trash, doing laundry, washing dishes, AND cleaning toilets! No parole, no reduction for good behavior! No soup for you! :lol: