Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: dymt reloaded

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 am

SpotTheCat wrote:
Won't start (though the starter solenoid clicks)

If the starter solenoid on the starter motor itself is clicking and not turning the engine over then either the starter motor or the wiring between the starter motor and the battery or battery and chassis is borked. I suppose the engine could be seized but that is very unlikely.

Commonest one is the starter solenoid is sticky and a bit of percussive maintenance may get it to fire up. Given new battery it may be that the connections are not good (someone didn't put them back on properly), this would also explain the key fob problem. I would first check over the connections I mentioned looking for loose ones and probe them with a meter looking for volts across the connection whilst someone else turns the key.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Totally bizarre Power Supply event:

My computer,with my old PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750,wouldn't boot up when plugged into the left-side wall outlet,which I thought was faulty.(looking from my front door toward the window).

With my new PC Power & Cooling Turbo-cool 1200 installed,it booted up like nothing happened.This Turbo-Cool 1200 PSU makes miracles happen,is all I can say.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:14 pm

Maybe it's got a bad ground, and the new PSU is more tolerant of that? Might want to test it...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Well, this has been a fun week. Switched over to Win 8, started using EC2 for cloud storage hosting and got instructor consent for 4 classes. Gotta love the start of a new semester.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:27 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
600 dollars on a car repair bill and 300 on a hospital bill :X I feel broke! Damnit things are expensive

What's a hospital bill?

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:47 am

Why do people buy laptops places other than craigslist? I got a macbook air a few months ago for $300, Apple fixed it for free, and now I'm selling it for $700 because I found a Zenbook Prime for $400. That's not even close to retail! I know that that's not typical, but it still seems like a terrific return for the time invested.

Also: Dear gerbils,
You were right about IPS. My sincerest apologies for ever doubting you.
Grant
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Around here, most laptops are being sold at, like, half again more than they should be. Look at a laptop on my local CL then go look up a similarly-specced system on eBay, and eBay wins every time. No wonder nothing around here sells.

Other electronics are the same way. For example, right now there's a carrier-unlocked iPhone 4 listed for $375 and a Galaxy Nexus GSM at $325. Or a 4GB Xbox (current revision) with a bunch of old sports games (Madden 08 for example) for $200 - minus the sports games that's actually retail price for new. Seriously stupid.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:48 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
Why do people buy laptops places other than craigslist?

Because of the hassle of having to meet up with people at odd times and places, and place trust strangers who assure you the unit is either "lightly used," or "broken but only to the degree of 'x'," or "not stolen." There are decent deals to be had, but there are always tradeoffs in getting them. When I was under-employed for a few years I was able to spend a lot of time trolling CL and eBay and then strategizing how to best obtain an item, and at what price, based on my estimation of whether I could use it for my own projects or repair/recondition it for resale. Given my current employment, I don't have the time for that, and it can actually be cheaper to buy something new, and have a place to return it if it breaks or doesn't perform as advertised.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:26 am

Great. Now ESPN has gone to a Facebook-only comment policy. It'll be below absolute zero before I consign my name to that wretched hive of scum and villainly, so so much for commenting on ESPN articles.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:31 am

aren't most ESPN commenters mouth-breathers anyway?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:24 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Now ESPN... wretched hive of scum and villainy.
ESPN/Disney is most of what's wrong with sports these days. It's all about hype and Sports Center highlights instead of competition and teamwork.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:33 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Great. Now ESPN has gone to a Facebook-only comment policy. It'll be below absolute zero before I consign my name to that wretched hive of scum and villainly, so so much for commenting on ESPN articles.

Yes, I've noticed other sites doing this too. I agree with you; when a site does this, I stop commenting on stories.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:39 am

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Yes, I've noticed other sites doing this too. I agree with you; when a site does this, I stop commenting on stories.

What's worse is that I'm a subscriber. I'm paying them for the magazine and access to other stuff on the website and they still mandate Facebook. Their "customer care" center got a zingy e-mail about this last night.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

My Shadows!

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:50 am

Lately, there seems to be an anonymous swarm following me around, and not just on the TR forums.

People viewing this forum: BIF and 9 guests
People viewing this forum: BIF and 12 guests
People viewing this forum: BIF and 14 guests

So...I can't believe I've said anything momentous enough to warrant fans or groupies. I've paid my taxes, haven't taken drug money, I'm not a gambler, and I'm nice to little old ladies and beggars, although I don't give them any money. Not the beggars either. :lol:

So, what's up? Should I be looking over my shoulder? :o :)

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Re: My Shadows!

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:28 am

BIF wrote:
Lately, there seems to be an anonymous swarm following me around, and not just on the TR forums.

People viewing this forum: BIF and 9 guests
People viewing this forum: BIF and 12 guests
People viewing this forum: BIF and 14 guests

So...I can't believe I've said anything momentous enough to warrant fans or groupies. I've paid my taxes, haven't taken drug money, I'm not a gambler, and I'm nice to little old ladies and beggars, although I don't give them any money. Not the beggars either. :lol:

So, what's up? Should I be looking over my shoulder? :o :)

Slight touch of paranoia, eh?
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:22 am

grantmeaname wrote:
Why do people buy laptops places other than craigslist? I got a macbook air a few months ago for $300, Apple fixed it for free, and now I'm selling it for $700 because I found a Zenbook Prime for $400. That's not even close to retail! I know that that's not typical, but it still seems like a terrific return for the time invested.

Grant

I'm almost tempted to have you look out for something for me and ship it to me.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sys/3540288218.html This is what I have to deal with.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:17 pm

Got a reply from ESPN. It's something they're "testing" only on MLB-associated comment threads. Did notice today that I was free to comment on hockey and football postings.

ESPN wrote:
I apologize for any inconvenience. We're testing a new technology on the MLB Forums. Users must be logged into Facebook to post, and after posting, they may see some of their Facebook profile data listed next to their name on their comment. The majority of forums and conversations should not require Facebook to post.

Note: Fans do have the option to delete their own posts from the Forum, that will remove their name, personal info and comment from the forum posts.

We value the comments and opinions of our fans. Your comments in reference to needing to use Facebook to post on some message boards is appreciated and will be forwarded to the appropriate department for review.

IOW, The Mouse is selling data to Facebook and doesn't give a crap about privacy.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:43 pm

DancinJack wrote:
grantmeaname wrote:

Grant

I'm almost tempted to have you look out for something for me and ship it to me.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sys/3540288218.html This is what I have to deal with.

That's about what macs cost here. Mine just had a broken screen and was four and a half years old, plus I haggled it down.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

BIF

Re: My Shadows!

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:17 am

Arclight wrote:
Slight touch of paranoia, eh?

Oh no, just being observant, and a little tongue in cheek that I seem to have minions. Or had. Today they seem to be gone; or maybe they just all work (or sleep in?) weekday mornings, LOL! Sorry if you didn't get that!

But you do raise an interesting point, so I'll take the liberty (liberty is never just granted, it has to be taken) to expand. Would you notice if somebody were following you around all day? Would your wife? Your kids?

No answer needed; but I suspect that most people are oblivious to their surroundings, each happy in his or her personal bubble. That is why they always say "it's shocking" when they or somebody they knew were be-felled by some violent person.

"Nothing like that ever happens here!"
"It takes away your sense of security!"
"We feel so violated now!"
"Its just shocking!"

I'm not advocating paranoia. Even caveman could enjoy time with cavegirl from time to time as long as he paid attention to those tiger tracks! :o :P

codedivine
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:21 pm

I will be writing a few articles for Anandtech :)
Not a regular gig, I remain a full-time PhD. student. I will write when I have something to contribute.
Thought I would make my affilitaton clear here as required by the rules.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:39 pm

not to mention, #humblebrag

Congrats!

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:01 am

Get a day off from work.. and what do I do?

Sleep most all day... EEK!!

(Felt good,but a little odd.)

BIF

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:24 am