Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Vanity keycaps

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:03 am

Yup, it's another mechanical keyboard thread! This one is less serious than the previous ones though. :wink:

Keycaps on Cherry MX 'boards are standardized, which it means it is easy to get replacements or custom keycaps. I ordered some custom caps for my Rosewill RK-9000s (home and office) from WASD Keyboards.

Replacement Esc key (with a cameo by a bottle of Bell's Expedition Stout):

No more Windows keys:

I thought about getting replacement Backspace keys that said something like "Oops!" on them instead of "Backspace", but decided not to bother. The larger key caps can be a bit of a PITA to replace anyway, since they've got extra stabilizer springs underneath them.

We'll see how well the printing holds up, they're laser etched (not just printed on the surface), so they should be reasonably durable. They also had an option for laser engraving (where the laser cuts deeper instead of just roughening the surface and there's no paint used) but I wanted the Linux ones to to match the existing keys.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Vanity keycaps

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:23 am

You should get one that's labeled "Any". :D
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:29 am

bthylafh wrote:

Oh I wish I could +1 on the forums...

But very nice JBI. It's quite tempting to get a few myself. I like the "Panic" Esc. I would probably try to get a "BILLY MAYS" cap for my Caps Lock if I got anything.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:34 am

bthylafh wrote:

Yes, I actually thought about doing that for the Esc key. But "Panic" seemed more appropriate (for the keyboard at work, anyway), and the red keycap matches the RK-9000's baseplate. :wink:

Edit: They actually use "ANY KEY" as one of the examples on their custom printed keycap ordering page: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/ ... eycap.html

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:40 am

Now if they'd only do the same for Model M keycovers.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:08 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Now if they'd only do the same for Model M keycovers.

Given that there's only one company making 'boards based on the buckling spring design (so the physical keycaps are specific to Unicomp), the fact that they're probably a small percentage of the reviving mechanical keyboard market, and the unusual production process used (AFAIK nobody else makes keycaps using dye sublimation any more) I imagine it would need to come from Unicomp. Probably not likely to happen...

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 am

Unicomp used to do something like that. They've still got some Kentucky State-themed keyboards on clearance, IIRC, but that was mainly just changing the color of the housing and keys.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:01 pm

This is really cool -- do y'all know if they sell metal keycaps for Cherry MX switches anywhere? I'm very, very interested in this, and would pay a pretty penny for such a thing.