Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Help me to choose PSU please..

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:22 am

Hi guys! I recently bought a case "HEC Cougar Volant 67M5 USB 3.0 Sata Dock". Do you think this is a good option that i bought?

Here are my system specs:

Palit GT 220 1GB (im gonna upgrade to GTX 650 Ti in the next month)
4GB ram
Intel Core i3 3.4 GHz
Asus P8 HLE 61-M
Screen resolution : 1024 x 768

Anyways, here's my main question, which PSU is better suited for my specs and computer case?

This PSU?

http://www.aerocool.us/strikex%20power/ ... 20600w.htm (300 WATTS)

or this one?

http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply- ... upply.html (650 WATTS)

Please share me your insights about this. By the way, im planning to install 5 case fans and 1 CPU cooler. or maybe i can extend to 6 case fans since my case can support all 8 fan slots.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Help me to choose PSU please..

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:13 pm

I'd go with the Aerocool.

The Corsair VS series really are a pretty basic design and also quite old, internally. I'm not even sure they're Energy Star 80+ compliant!
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:24 pm

This post smells of stealth marketing.

Googling the case finds more post on forums asking the same/similar question.

Not a well know case in the States. Where are you buying the PSU?

Very basic system....any decent PSU will work.....seems like a fishy post.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:35 pm

As the (previous) owner of an Aerocool modular PSU which died on me (the noisy fan was giving out and the PSU followed suit). I can only say:

STAY AWAY FROM AEROCOOL!
Wind, Sand and Stars.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-450 450W

$60
Modular of the same $70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139027

Corsair CX500 for $30.

Not the best in the world, but reliable and adequate.

I would also buy over no-name bling and color models. :wink:

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 pm

mdk77777 wrote:
I would also buy over no-name bling and color models. :wink:

Agreed, I say that as someone who's had no-name PSUs burn out in a blaze of smoky glory. Stick with a major brand on this one.

As far as size, I'd recommend at least a 400 watt PSU. They're not expensive and having a little bit more output than you need is totally fine provided you're not paying a premium for it (which, again, for anything less than 600W you won't be). Incidentally, what do you need all those case fans for? That's not a hot build unless you're gonna massively OC the i3.

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 am

So you all guys saying that 400 watts is enough for my PC?
About the fans, the reason i want them that many is that i have cpu temperature going up to 65-70 and GPU is also 65-70 when playing games. Also, since i will buy a nice looking case, ill buy those led fans so that my rig would just also look nice too. And who knows, maybe i may proceed to overclocking my i3 in the near future.

Maybe ill just stick to corsair VS 650 watts since aerocool and corsair psu of my choices have the same price. Thanks for all your feedbacks guys.

-- @ mdk77777 -- Sorry about many posts of my crappy rig. Im really a newbie about these things if you only knew. So im really trying to learn right now by asking many questions. I am googling some answers i even find some solutions on youtube if my psu would be fitted into my case. So please im sorry and just nevermind my post. I will delete this post as soon as you read this. Thanks.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:03 am

Well, 400 watts is "probably enough". An i3 isn't much of a power draw, neither is that graphics card and I'm assuming you're only doing a single hard drive without any other high-drain accessories. Having some extra fans won't hurt anything, though they'll generate some noise. I would just recommend grabbing a 500-600W power supply from any major brand--Thermaltake, Coolermaster, Corsair, maybe Rosewill/Ultra--that happens to be on sale at the time of order. PSUs don't have much in the way of features, so unless you're a serious enthusiast you just need something that delivers enough juice and won't burn up. The Corsair 650W you listed will do the trick.

Incidentally if you're set on single-display 1024x768 resolution and do not intend to upgrade anytime soon--which is totally fine, I run that rez too mostly--a 650 Ti is going to be hella overkill when a 650 or 7770 will do just as well for less cost/power. I've got one, and I do like it, but it's because I'm about to get a bigger monitor that supports 1920x1200 so it can stretch its legs some.

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:16 am

NovusBogus wrote:
Well, 400 watts is "probably enough". An i3 isn't much of a power draw, neither is that graphics card and I'm assuming you're only doing a single hard drive without any other high-drain accessories. Having some extra fans won't hurt anything, though they'll generate some noise. I would just recommend grabbing a 500-600W power supply from any major brand--Thermaltake, Coolermaster, Corsair, maybe Rosewill/Ultra--that happens to be on sale at the time of order. PSUs don't have much in the way of features, so unless you're a serious enthusiast you just need something that delivers enough juice and won't burn up.

Incidentally if you're set on single-display 1024x768 resolution and do not intend to upgrade anytime soon--which is totally fine, I run that rez too mostly--a 650 Ti is going to be hella overkill when a 650 or 7770 will do just as well for less cost/power. I've got one, and I do like it, but it's because I'm about to get a bigger monitor that supports 1920x1200 so it can stretch its legs some.

Well, im using two hard drives 500GB and 250GB.. Also, i'm just buying a "slight" excess PSU since i cant set aside the fact that i may be changing my specs in the near future. Like my monitor, honestly, my brother really wants to try bigger resolution so i might upgrade it too.

By the way boss, would the HEC cougar ST 600 watts good for my system? Since the Corsair and Aerocool PSU's arent available here in the shop im buying and i really cant wait when it comes back again. Im not even sure if it would comeback. is that cougar PSU doing good? is it reliable? and other thing is, that would also be (i think) a good pair for my case since i have cougar volant. Thanks.

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 am

Guys, another question, is this kind of adapter good for my case ? im planning to install 5 case fans is this setup right? im buying these for $14.. Please tell me im doing the right way. :D

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:46 am

What adapter?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:59 am

A PSU thread and nobody has linked a PSU calculator? Tisk tisk. FYI, that calculator gives "recommended" wattage which by my estimates is based on ~60% load on the PSU at 90% system load. I use 25% capacitor aging BTW. Include any planned or potential additions and you don't need to exceed what the calculator spits out. CPUs and GPUs draw the most power for a single component and they're progressively using less power to deliver more performance.
Also, in general, PSUs with 80PLUS Gold or Platinum ratings use higher quality components (common sense, I know) that should last longer, but will also cost a bit more. The Rosewill Capstone 450W PSU is a Gold rated PSU that's relatively inexpensive. (review here)
I'm not saying that an 80PLUS Bronze unit from Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec is junk and would fail, those would be my recommendations if you're looking for lower cost. Heck I've put Corsair CX 430s in a few rigs. The fact that they regularly sell on newegg for $20 after MIR is unbeatable for a budget rig.

What are your complete system specs?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:06 pm

DPete27 wrote:
A PSU thread and nobody has linked a PSU calculator? Tisk tisk. FYI, that calculator gives "recommended" wattage which by my estimates is based on ~60% load on the PSU at 90% system load. I use 25% capacitor aging BTW. Include any planned or potential additions and you don't need to exceed what the calculator spits out. CPUs and GPUs draw the most power for a single component and they're progressively using less power to deliver more performance.
Also, in general, PSUs with 80PLUS Gold or Platinum ratings use higher quality components (common sense, I know) that should last longer, but will also cost a bit more. The Rosewill Capstone 450W PSU is a Gold rated PSU that's relatively inexpensive. (review here)
I'm not saying that an 80PLUS Bronze unit from Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec is junk and would fail, those would be my recommendations if you're looking for lower cost. Heck I've put Corsair CX 430s in a few rigs. The fact that they regularly sell on newegg for $20 after MIR is unbeatable for a budget rig.

What are your complete system specs?

Thanks for your reply boss, but i already used a calculator and i think my recommended is 450-500 since im using 2 Hard drives. And also, i have decided to buy an Enermax NAXN 82+ Series 650W. Now, i have another problem. Im planning to install these kind of fan (4 pieces and other fan that came with my case cougar volant) http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/WIND_BLADE/

Some guys said i need fan adapters so that i can connect these fans with my power supply like these adapters: http://emob1252.photobucket.com/al [...] i5qcGc.jpg

But for me, i really find these adapters slight expensive here in my country,(philippines) and im thinking if there are alternatives to using these adapters that is cheaper? or free so that i could save a little. If only there are ways, please share with me guys... Thanks!

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:51 pm

I assume you're referring to something like this. Most case fans come with one of these included in the package.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:02 pm

DPete27 wrote:
I assume you're referring to something like this. Most case fans come with one of these included in the package.

Yeah. thats what exactly im refering. But do you think boss that deepcool fans like these ones (they are just cheap):
http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/XFAN120U_B_B/

come with these cables?

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Newegg and NCIX are pretty big etailers for PC parts if you want more selection, and even cheapy fans usually come with adapters.

If you are looking for 120mm fans you can check out this review.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... dup-1.html

and newer one below
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... dup-3.html
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!