Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

kahu
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Corrupt images online

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi, I was referred here by a friend regarding a problem I've been having and I was wondering if you guys could help a guy out.

Starting a while back I had this problem where certain online images would randomly show up corrupt on my computer. Images that show up fine on my iPhone just fine(through a wireless connection with my router) seem to show up on my computer as scrambled and corrupt, like the image below.

http://i.imgur.com/6QddM.jpg

In some cases, images randomly show up as corrupt grey images like what happens when data in an image file can't be read by the windows image viewer.

This appears to be shared between Chrome, IE, and Firefox on my computer.

Now, this seems to be limited to only a few sites(the Yu-Gi-Oh related site featured in the pic above) and Yahoo groups, which I happen to frequent for both recreational and business purposes. And I can't really seem to figure out if this is a hardware problem or a software problem.

I've tried running multiple virus scans, disk cleaners, and more, but nothing really seems to have fixed it, so neither myself nor my more tech-savvy friend can figure out what the problem is.

If this is the inappropriate subforum, apologies. I wasn't really sure where to put it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Corrupt images online

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Bizarre. Is the system otherwise stable? This could be a symptom of an unstable overclock or thermal issue, but I would expect other symptoms as well if that was the problem.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SnowboardingTobi
Gerbil Team Leader
Location: in your house, on the toilet, reading the newspaper

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 pm

I wonder if all of those browsers use some common library call into the OS to do the rendering of images? If true, perhaps that common library (probably a DLL) is somehow corrupted? Perhaps all those images that show up garbled are saved in some specific format that the corrupted shared library cannot render correctly since it's *gasp* corrupted. Just thinking out loud here.

Otherwise... good luck. lol
///_-)

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:12 pm

The fact it spans browsers is extremely weird. I can't think of an obvious explanation, but I can think of a few things to try that might give us more information. Have you tried opening just the pictures (right-click on the image and open in a new tab or window)? Have you tried saving the images (again, right click on it and save as) and then opening them locally in another tool (photoshop, windows image viewer, etc)?
Are all the corrupt images a specific type (eg PNG, GIF?)
Are your video drivers up to date?

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 pm

If you're running an anti-virus security suite, try disabling completely. These are known for trying to intercept HTTP/SMTP traffic, and it's feasible a bug could corrupt a few images here and there. Can't even being to count how many times I traced e-mail "issues" back to anti-virus software.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

kahu
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:35 am

Well, I tried everything and it turns out morphine was right. I've been using a Kaspersky internet security suite and it seems to have been the source of the problem. Thanks for the help, guys.

Of course, now the question is how to properly fix said problem. Hrm.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:50 am

kahu wrote:
Of course, now the question is how to properly fix said problem. Hrm.

Um, ditch Kapersky??
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

kahu
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:59 am

Well yes, there is that option. Though I have at least 6 months left on the license and I'd like to see if there's a way to fix it without deleting the program. Especially considering how it was working without problems a while ago.

Here's the link to the GSI report I uploaded in case there's clues to a solution that doesn't involve deleting Kaspersky in there.
http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?f ... 617a04ab34

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:43 am

Hmm, just looking over the list I see a few things that I question such as the ImageSaferSvc which seems to be from MarkAny and is some sort of DRM protection. Assuming that isn't causing any problems one option you may try is to turn off your web protection service while keeping the rest of the antivirus protection turned on. It's possible that something in the their web antivirus protection is causing your image corruption and turning just that portion of the antivirus protection off would resolve your issues.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:43 am

Near as I can tell, MarkAny is a DRM product used by Samsung. Have you installed software for a Samsung product recently?

Pisses me off when 3rd party devices install junk like that on my PC.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

kahu
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Well, I do have a Samsung ODD, and given how I live in Korea pretty much anything could've triggered the installation of that.

Also, tried turning off the web protection while leaving the anti-virus on, and it worked. Thanks for the help.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:17 pm

Sounds like this is a known issue with Kaspersky 2012 and is resolved by upgrading to Kaspersky 2013 http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t247494.html

At least you now have a couple of solutions available to you.