Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Re: World Of Warcraft

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:03 pm

So this weekend I spent sometime with MoP. Yes after a year and a half off I dug my heals into Azeroth again. And I have quite a lot to say about it.

I first tried my old Warrior, he was 77 at the time and still in Northrend. I played him almost exclusively in the Burning Crusade. Back then he was an Arms spec but I quickly switched him to Fury. After plowing through Northrend and then Hyjal and Deepholm in Cata, I found myself in Pandaria and set upon questing. Man is it hard to quest when you dont have gear! I died alot, pulling more than I should have.

Anyways, I hate the warrior! Sure they pull high DPS, but I do not like what they did with rage where some abilities build it and some dump it. I could never get into a good flow with it. So I ditched him.

Next I logged ino my Ret Pally. I played him exclusively in Wrath and he had the gear from there, and the mounts! Anyways once again I blew through Cata (Hyjal and Deepholm) and set foot upon Pandaria.

I like what has been done with the Ret Paladin. I like the holy power and the skills work well with each one. Not having to worry about Int for ret is way awesome! Strength > Hit > Exper > haste > mastery > crit, thats just awesome too! Combat is fluid with him and I had no fear of pulling groups. Although the Mass Exorcism glyph got me in trouble a few times. And where did consecration go? Sometimes I miss this mana hog. I was able to plow through the first zone to 100% completion. And had fun to boot.

So what do I really like about MoP?
- Achievements being account bound. Who ever thought this up deserves a high five. This stops me from feeding the beast with my alts!
- Mounts and pets being Account bound. Hallelujah! See above.
- The story lines in the zones. Why in the hell did it take Blizzard three expansions before doing this? I actually stopped and read the text and when it finally all came to a climax it was wonderful!
- Leveling. It just flows better. Again why did it take three expansions for Blizzard to figure this out!?
- Pandaria. This place is just full of awesome. Not only do I like the oriental atmosphere, the high polygon count of the models are top notch. Looking back on earlier screenshots and gear make me want to barf!
- 64bit WoW. This is also awesome. No longer do I have to set core affinity!
-Transmorg. My paladin is rocking a full set of Judgement, even though it costs me each time to 'morg it when I get a new piece of equipment. I even have a Ass-candy (Ashkandi) that I am rocking! :P
- Minor Glyphs - Ok they are way too awesome! There is a glyph that makes Paladins Bubble hearth faster!

There are still some things I have to experience like dungeons and raids. Pet battles. (I'm not too sure about this) And other stuff that I have yet to come across.

I did have to take an hour this weekend and Clean out my bags of old stuff. Gems and mats for various things I was hoarding I threw up on the AH for a great profit! Who wants to mine BC and Wrath for raw gems when they can just buy them on the AH. Or orbs too. :P I also had to go through and bust up some rings, necklaces, and trinkets you can transmorg some of this stuff but why? You cant see them on your character. Pretty much I kept gear and weapons only.

Right now my Paladin has Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting as professions. Back in the day I was able to feed it raw mats from another toon but as of now its not feasible as probably don't have the time. So I am going to have to drop one. But which one? What is going to give me the best bang for the buck. The extra sockets were nice from BS. And being able to make my own gems from JC was awesome.

I am hoping to be 90 by this weekend but its a lofty goal when each level is 13 million plus and I have little to no rested each day.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Tanker27, As you may have discovered by now; the first 5-mans and scenario's which you can enter at level 85-90 will give you level 400+ gift armor just for running the dungeon. In fact the first two 5-mans will give you 4 pieces right off the bat that will instantly make you epic compared to 85 Cata. Go, run a couple 5-mans, ASAP.

Edit: Oh yeah, also, the first scenario you can get in to will give you a superior weapon.
Last edited by Mr Bill on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:23 pm

There is a gear vendor (any spec and just gold) after you quest some in Jade forest. It's a goblin (I forget his name) for Horde, and I think all the gear is around 376. (maybe?) That should help out a lot.

I also love Retribution. I leveled Ret during Wrath but did holy at 80. In Cata, I tried most DPS specs at level 85, and Ret was among my favorites.

As for professions, if you're set on dropping one, drop blacksmithing. Gems will always be profitable, while gear can devalue and the only thing you can really sell consistently is a belt buckle. But consider leveling a miner while you gain some rested experience on your paladin. I started leveling my shaman again with full rested and plowed through level 87 quickly with almost a full level of rested XP to spare. I know swapping between toons probably isn't ideal, but blacksmithing/JC is awesome from a power perspective (my pally has those profs, too).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:28 pm

I second dropping BS (if you must)* and adding mining. You can then prospect what you mine or smelt it for sale to Alchemists who want to make living steel from transmuted ghost iron bars. The daily cool down on the living steel transmute controls the price of ghost iron ore and bars far more than the gems you can prospect from them.

My rogue is mining/herb and my DK is JC/Alchemy. The combination keeps me in plenty of GP. The DK alchemy can transmute his own stuff for the JC which is cool and the two hour buff on flasks is very convenient while leveling.

* I understand the 5.3 release is going to open up a new area which will discover the lightning forge and blacksmithing will be able to make a whole new class of epic gear.
Last edited by Mr Bill on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
Tanker27, As you may have discovered by now; the first 5-mans and scenario's which you can enter at level 85-90 will give you level 400+ gift armor just for running the dungeon. In fact the first two 5-mans will give you 4 pieces right off the bat that will instantly make you epic compared to 85 Cata. Go, run a couple 5-mans, ASAP.

Edit: Oh yeah, also, the first scenario you can get in to will give you a superior weapon.

I did NOT know this! I will do it ASAP!

superjawes wrote:
There is a gear vendor (any spec and just gold) after you quest some in Jade forest. It's a goblin (I forget his name) for Horde, and I think all the gear is around 376. (maybe?) That should help out a lot.

I'm alliance but I guess that doesnt mater. I'll look him up tonight.

superjawes wrote:
As for professions, if you're set on dropping one, drop blacksmithing. Gems will always be profitable, while gear can devalue and the only thing you can really sell consistently is a belt buckle. But consider leveling a miner while you gain some rested experience on your paladin. I started leveling my shaman again with full rested and plowed through level 87 quickly with almost a full level of rested XP to spare. I know swapping between toons probably isn't ideal, but blacksmithing/JC is awesome from a power perspective (my pally has those profs, too).

Yeah I know the power of the combo thats why he has it. But it just takes so much to feed him mats to level. Time AND Gold, neither which I really have an abundance of.

I am actually surprised that WoW hasnt turned to a RMT AH like DIII. (not that I am wishing for it either)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 pm

OH! That reminds me of two JC tips.

First, ghost iron has terrible prospect rates for rare quality gems. I've been smelting all my ghost iron for trillium transmutes (and then living steel transmutes) and prospecting all the trillium ore. Kyparite pretty much just buys BS patterns and is also poor on rare gem prospects. So...basically prospect trillium ores if you need rare gems.

Second, "perfect" cuts of uncommon gems are as good as the rare cuts. Since rare gems are rare(-er than they seemed to be in Cata) and you need them to learn new recipes, you can just cut a lot of the uncommon gem until you get a perfect of what you need. The proc on perfect cuts is pretty decent if you have a lot (which I do) and are short on rares (which I usually am).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:41 pm

Or, you could roll a DK (instant level 55 thats why I originally rolled mine; so I would not have to level from 1) and make him mine / alchemy. Alchemy levels super fast and fairly inexpensive because of (Zen Alchemy) and he should have plenty of power to waste mobs that hang around mining nodes. Once you get your farm going you can plant enigma seeds which will give you a small supply of golden lotus and herbs. 16 plants (after a long grind with the Tillers) can yield 4-6 golden lotus a day and a quarter stack of the 4 most useful potion/flask herbs.

Also, tanking in blood spec is pretty fun.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:44 pm

What is this farm thingy you speak of?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:49 pm

I second superjaws on that. I cut about 2/3 of a stack to get a perfect. You can't really sell the trash. You can get 2-350GP for say the perfect cut of bold pandaran garnet (+160 strength) and nearly nothing ~1-20GP for the trash (+120 strength) or just cut the far more rare pandaran ruby (+160 strength). But you need those rare gems to do "research" (three rare gems consumed in research a day gives you a guaranteed rare cut recipe and two cuts and trash. I mine up on the mountain peninsula of the Hozen (typical tillers daily area) and a few hours round and round will net you 20 stacks of ghost iron or and maybe 10 each of white and black trillium. Since I also herb at the same nodes, I often get 3-4 golden lotus coming up at the tea leaf nodes.
Last edited by Mr Bill on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superjawes

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:52 pm

tanker27 wrote:
What is this farm thingy you speak of?

Halfhill, Valley of Four Winds. You can gind rep to build up a farm where you can plant crops for cooking mats or profession mats (after you hit revered, IIRC).

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:53 pm

The farm area (been up 24 hours, so memory is shot) is just South of 'Vale of Eternal Blossoms' where you should home your tune. The location is 'Half Hill' in the "Valley of the Four Winds". You start off with a plot of 4 plants and after a long rep grind you get 3 more blocks of 4 planting locations. Everybody uses the same "Farm" which is phased for your tune when you enter it.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 pm

One more thing. Grind Golden Lotus first and foremost. They give you a ring early on. At revered you can buy a ilvl 489 ring with valor. Do not buy the 489 neck you can buy at honored from the Klaxxii. The golden lotus will give you a choice of 489 necks as a gift at exalted. Also, grind your tune to revered with any faction and then you can buy a commendation which is bind on account. It gives 50% extra rep for every other tune on your account grinding the same group. Oh yeah, the golden lotus also give you a chest piece near exalted. Shado Pan is a close second to Golden Lotus and dailies will open up with them if and only if you reach exalted with Golden Lotus.

You can buy justice gear from the Golden Lotus, Shado Pan, and August Celestials vendors which is just good enough to get you into heroics and let you survive.

Finally, buy yourself the "Ghost Iron Dragonling" (3-600GP) Its an engineering trinket with three "cogwheel" gem slots. Its ilvl 450 and wearable at 85. The cogwheel gems are all 600 of a secondary stat (unique equipped, can't double up a stat to my knowledge): e.g. haste, mastery, expertise, hit, critical strike. Pick any unique 3 cogwheel gems. You will keep that trinket even into LFR, its that good.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Well this week was fun, I finally got a 2 piece tier bonus for my char out of RF last week....and now this week I get 2 pieces of 489 out of vaults that are the same as my tier pieces :evil: So now I am stuck with 2 pieces of gear I cant use unless I want to break my set bonus...

superjawes

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Well this week was fun, I finally got a 2 piece tier bonus for my char out of RF last week....and now this week I get 2 pieces of 489 out of vaults that are the same as my tier pieces :evil: So now I am stuck with 2 pieces of gear I cant use unless I want to break my set bonus...

...you just reminded me that I have 3 RF tier pieces on and one 489 replacement >.<

Well hopefully my guild will be progressing on Heart of Fear this week. Maybe I'll be able to snag another normal token soon.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:11 pm

My DK,
http://www.wowreforge.com/US/Galakrond/Vashknight
has acquired [Elegion, the Fanged Crescent]http://www.wowhead.com/item=86789 which I am using DW for my frost spec and [Shin'ka, Execution of Dominion]http://www.wowhead.com/item=86905 which I am using for my blood spec tanking. I am 4 sigels of power away from getting the sha-touched gem for the axe. I have 1 tier 14 piece for the blood spec, and 3 tier 14 pieces for the frost spec and the 10% set bonus for frost DK is pretty nice. Ran the dread approach last night and averaged 85K dps over the whole run and was second in total damage.

My rogue
http://www.wowreforge.com/US/Galakrond/Mandelrog
has acquired [Dagger of the Seven Stars]http://www.wowhead.com/item=86741 and [Spiritsever]http://www.wowhead.com/item=86910 but has had none of the sigels of wisdom or power drop and a long slog to getting the sha-touched gem.

I am working on my first actual 10-man raid now with a group that was formerly the raid team for our guild. We spent several hours working out the mechanics of 'Heart of Fear' last week with my frost DK. Whew its a whole new world. But they asked me to come back this Tuesday evening.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:45 pm

We got the mechanics of all 4 platforms worked out and got Wind Lord Mel'Jarak down to <18% before calling it. I think next time we will be getting drops! By the time you get to the 4th platform, he is doing the verve, the circling attenuations, and the mind controls; all in rotation.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:33 am

The Klaxxi story is wonderful but leaves a little on the table in the form of more questions. I liked how they tied in the old gods and AQ and AN. I think we will see more from them in the future.

Speaking of the rep grinds they arent so bad, now. However the Shadow-Pan one is giving me fits. I always die 2 or 3 times doing them. It might be gear I think......need more valor, it sucks that you are capped at 1000 a week. I am able to cap it in three days. /sigh

I have started working on my Enh Shaman. The rotation is a little weird right now, and I have yet to find a good totem addon. Right now I am using TotemTimers and while I like what it does it doesnt provide me a clear TotemStomper affect, 1 button press an drop these 4 totems. (it might do that but I havent found a way to make it do it)

I also did my first LFR this past week. I didnt get anything even after exhausting my gold coin rolls. Part of me wishes I could find a raiding guild but my schedule just doesnt let me do that. :/
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:38 am

I enjoyed finally defeating all the battle pet masters. I especially liked the 3,000 gold reward. Courageous Yon was a beast, I had to train a team just to defeat him and it still took several tries. I estimate 15-20 tries between my 2 max level blue pet teams.

I'm getting more casual all the time, especially now waiting for the patch.

Almost done getting max in all professions. Then what?

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:47 am

So what does everyone think of the new 5.2 raid so far? Been chugging my way through the new lfr stuff and have to say they all have very interesting mechanics to deal with...not any real boring fights so far...some you really have to pay attention and think. Have to say so far this is by far my favorite raid tier...up in Ulduar territory. Also for the PVP guys, what do you think of the new PVP changes on the PTR? Some huge big changes, and they may finally fix the PVP/PVE gear balancing issues.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:32 am

All I got to say is Fsk Blizzard and their auto loot system. So I run 10 man regulars and LFR's and in the LFr's its been nothing but double gold each and every time. I dont know what their formula is but its really pissing me off.

As for 5.2 I love all the fights except the Dorommu fight. The 'eye beam' phase with the fog is to dang unpredictable. Its difficult to maneuver. In LFR you can take some of the Fog damage but in regular you cant.

And lastly, I know I came late to pandaria after taking a year and a half off but they really need to increase the drop rate of the sigils that you need for wrathion's quests. After 8 weeks of LFR's and regulars I am still at 5 and 5. I'm so behind the power curve. Then the next phase is 6 weeks of capping Valor to get his 2nd chapter done. grrrr.

5.3 is going to be interesting for the Horde because they get kicked out of Pandaria and Two Moons because of Garrosh
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:37 am

It's fun...my guild is kind of readjusting. We finally called it quits on our low-pop server and transferred to Hyjal, so I've been getting to know my warlock and priest a little better.

And as for 5.3 from what I read, we don't get kicked out. Trolls are in open revolt, and Sunwalker Drezco convinces the pandaren to let us stay because Garrosh doesn't represent all the Horde anymore. I can't WAIT to kill that guy.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:51 am

So I have been back in Azeroth a few months now and while I do enjoy Pandaria I see trouble brewing for the game. I have mixed feelings about LFR. While its great that it gives you a great gear path it also creates a very very poor player.

While LFR is a dumbed down version of 25 Normal I see players AFK'ing all the time, Healers that do 7k healing a whole run, and the community as a whole ignoring mechanics altogether, just using the brute force "go get em" attitude. All of this has been brought forth to the 3rd stage of TOT where the Dorummu fight is very unforgiving and if you dont have situational awareness and understand the mechanics you will die and possible wipe the raid. (I am talking about the Fog and Maze & Eye Beam phase)

Even if there are players carried through these LFR most want to progress and then they find themselves in 25 man and even 10 man regular runs and then never progress anywhere; cant even kill the first bosses of any zone and then wonder why? "I did this in LFR, its not that hard." While this person died to a mechanic that they never learned how to handle.

My current guild has 2 10 man raid groups (to me 10 man is the most unforgiving, its harder to recover from mistakes); while our Group 1 is progressing fairly well Group 2 is a revolving door. They have 1 tank, 1 healer, and 1 melee DPS that are constants of the group, all others its a revolving door. The problem is that they cant find players that can play at that level. Sure they can find players with a 502+ gear score/ item level but the fail at game mechanics.

LFR, Where people go to felx their epeen and to be carried through. "I just want my free stuff" hummph.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:45 pm

I am due for an extended break with WoW. As soon as my annual sub expires this month, I will take a break. I am burned out and all the usual things I used to do are just not worth it any longer. PVP gear grind is boring, though I appreciate Conq. points for wins. I can't bear to grind any more factions or raid. I think I have just played too long and need a long break.

superjawes

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:31 pm

Got to the last boss in the warlock green fire questline!

Aaaaaand already accumulated about 200% durability damage trying to kill him. I can only hope that I can gear up some more and actually get through all the phases.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:51 pm

Well 5.4 is up on the PTR, tons of changes looks like will hopefully going live. Biggest change is Virtual Servers, groups of server will be able to interact together. AH will be shared with all the servers along with toons from all the servers being able to join a guild on any of the servers. BOAs will also be mailable to any toons on the group, so technically you will be able to go past the 11 per server now and have them in your main guild. A bunch of other things are in store, but wont post any spoilers to ruin it for anyone.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:22 am

What's the point of servers now, then?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:46 am

Not quite so much anymore, but technically real servers disappeared when they did the last hardware upgrade. There hasn't been actual servers for each server, they are just virtual machines on their hardware infrastructure. This way they can fix dead servers without having to close servers down, and people will not be losing their names due to others already using them when they were moved to another server.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:28 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
What's the point of servers now, then?

They are posting an article on this, soon. Anyways what the gist is they would virtually combine low population servers to solve the low pop and faction imbalence issues problem. The AH will be shared and you could always group with those that are on their home server.

Originally when announced I imagined they would group all the battlegroups but I am thinking they arent going to go this route because a few of the Battlegroups currently have like 2-3 of highest pop servers out there.

Anyways the big feature I am more excited about is Flex Raid. Sitting above LFR and below Normal the flex raid is where anyone can group up for 9-25 people and do raids. (only the 5.4 raid at first). Bosses will scale with HP and abilities to fit the raid. You will still need the trifecta to be successful but if you have that extra melee dps and your at 11 people no big deal. You will also still need one healer for every 5 toons. The flex raid is perfect for my current guild as most of us are in our late 20s on up.

Back to my current dilemma. I have settled in this xpac on Playing my Frost DK (dps). Currently I dual wield but I have also picked up the thunderforged 2h. (not to toot my own horn) But Im a beast a DW and normally pull around 110K+ on any given boss/ trash pack. But that sweet 2H keeps calling me......I just cant let it go to waste. Playing a DW DK and a 2h DK is very different. DW relies on the synergy with Blood Tap and you liberally use howling blast whereas 2h is all about the Obliterates and lining up Killing Machine but no Blood Tap you use Runic Empowerment. Ahh choices.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:13 am

I also think that battle groups aren't really a thing anymore...

I like the idea of flex raiding. Hoping my guild can restart raiding that way.

My biggest excitement though is the new raid. I've been looking forward to this fight for some time. Not sure I completely like what's going on with Garrosh being corrupted, since I really want to kill the real Garrosh, but the other lore going on is pretty sweet. Specifically how the Klaxxi are bosses here.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:11 am

Not playing at the moment, but I wonder what effect shared AH across old servers will have on prices. More availability of some items that might have been hard to find on a low pop server. It seems the market would correct some prices if there is more of a pool of buyers and sellers.

It might be hard for those who just play the AH and have certain niches on a specific server. No more cornering the market on much of anything.