Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Avira not Windows 8 compatable

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:57 am

I had some issues with not being able to go online with Origin and Steam. The only thing I had done in the last few days was install Avira antivirus. Turned off Avira and everything works fine now. Seemed odd so I went to the Avira website and found this little explanation.

Windows 8 introduces significant changes to the operating system platform. As with any new computer operating system, it is possible that some existing software is not compatible with it.

Currently, the Avira products are not ready for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 (Built on Windows 8).

However, we are working very hard to get our products Windows 8 compatible as soon as possible.

Here is the link to the page were this can be found. http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-hom ... /kbid/1385

That was Created : Friday, November 2, 2012 Last updated: Friday, November 30, 2012. I did not find anything else with reference to a fix so they must still be working on the issue.

Does any one know of a good free antivirus that IS Windows 8 compatible? As far as that goes how about a good paid antivirus, if it works well and is unobtrusive I would pay for it.

[SDG]Mantis
Gerbil XP

Re: Avira not Windows 8 compatable

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:49 am

Don't forget that Windows 8 does have Microsoft Security Essentials installed by defaults.

Here are some options for Windows 8, both free and paid.
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:32 am

Thanks for the link. Looking through all the different antivirus programs they tested it looked like Bitdefender had the best rating. Any one here use Bitdefender, any issues with it?

Hallucin8
Gerbil

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:58 am

Khali wrote:
Thanks for the link. Looking through all the different antivirus programs they tested it looked like Bitdefender had the best rating. Any one here use Bitdefender, any issues with it?

A guy at work was using it until the new version screwed up his email shortly after renewal. When he tried to get his money back within the 30 days they give you, he's been getting the run around. Now you may have no issues with it, and I've never used it other then to uninstall it for this fella. Just beware of their lacking customer service.

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:07 pm

Previously, avira caused crashes whenever it updated, and uninstalling counted as updating. It left the install in a perpetual state of random crashes until a clean install was completed. Today, the avira website no longer has the windows 8 warning and the installer doesn't either. Also, I've had no problems with it for a week now, so I think it is usable once again.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:52 pm

They may not have the Windows 8 incompatible message out in the open but its still in the support section so the issue appears to still be alive.

Leaning towards bitdefender still. Have not found anything else with ratings as good as it has.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Microsoft Security Essentials is very good. It has a very small footprint and overhead. Seriously you should run with it for a few weeks. I guarantee that you'll never look at another product.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:45 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Microsoft Security Essentials is very good. It has a very small footprint and overhead. Seriously you should run with it for a few weeks. I guarantee that you'll never look at another product.

They just failed AV-Test, so it is not as good as before. However, while they are downplaying the results, I am sure they are working on passing the test as we speak.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:47 pm

Microsoft's position is correct when it States "that the average Security Essentials user does not encounter the same type of malware that AV-Test used during its evaluation." In fact you pretty much have to go out of your way and into the dregs of the internet to catch some of the stuff AV-Test throws at.

It wasnt a total failure of >50% but it wasnt the industry standard either.

FWIW, just because Security Essentials holds the moniker as 'Microsoft's' doesn't mean Microsoft works on it. MS bought the company that makes Security Essentials and the team has been largely left intact.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!