can my psu work good with my setup

Enclosures, modding, blowholes, and the power needed to run it all.

Moderators: Nemesis, SpotTheCat

can my psu work good with my setup

Postposted on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:06 pm

hello all I'm looking for a reasonable priced PSU cause I'm building a gaming rig what i need to know is does anyone have a ANTEC twelve hundred and a RAIDMAX hybrid RX-630SS and if you do was there any issues with the wiring length and case size cause heres my setup (so far)
case: ANTEC twelve hundred
mobo: ASUS p8z77-v deluxe
CPU: Intel i7 3770k ivy bridge
ram: corsair vengeance 32gb
HDD: 1tb mechanical

i plan on getting a gtx680 later on so i was wondering if this setup will have issues with that psu (for further note i am half way through my comptia a+ certification)
acdcrockme
Gerbil In Training

Re: can my psu work good with my setup

Postposted on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Corsair CX "Builder Series" are pretty good value for money. The CX500 only has 2 PCI-E power connectors but that will definitely suffice for a single GTX680 and 500W ought to give you plenty of headroom. The two PCI-E power connectors will let you use graphics cards up to 225W without extra adapters.

If you plan on going for a really beefy graphics card, like something that is heavily overclocked, see if you can find a deal on the Antec 620w high current gamer PSU, which is balanced towards more PCI-E power connectors, and all are 6+2 pin.

Both of these are 80+ bronze rated, so whilst not the most efficient PSUs you can buy they will at least be reasonable performers and shouldn't get too hot or noisy.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 pm

IIRC the +12v rail in that PSU is only good to 432W. Which in theory is still plenty of power, but that unit is an Andyson platform pushed a little beyond spec.

Spec-wise you're probably ok, but Raidmax is decidedly NOT known for longevity and I would pick up something more reliable.

Additional discussion at Jonnyguru:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/archive ... -8285.html
continuum
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:31 am

continuum wrote:Additional discussion at Jonnyguru:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/archive ... -8285.html

Heh, I learned something interesting from that thread, though not directly related to the PSU in question. It's old news, but apparently Ultra tried to patent the idea of modular power supplies a few years ago. WTF? At least they eventually got slapped down.

I actually was wondering why modular PSUs took so long to catch on; now I know. PSU vendors were probably waiting to see what happened with the Ultra patent.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to Cases and Power Supplies