Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

New Cell Phone

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi Guys. I currently have a first gen Motorolla Atrix that's a couple of years old. It's time to upgrade, but I've not been in the game for some time. I have no idea what's good. I'd like an Android phone, but that's pretty much all I know. I've seen some good buzz regarding the Samsungs. I saw the Samsung Rugby that looked interesting. Is there anything in the pipe that I should wait a bit for, or is the current selection of phones all that's going to be there for a while?

I am with AT&T, if that helps. What say you, vast cell phone brain trust?
I wish I had gone to med school.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: New Cell Phone

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Since you're with AT&T I'd highly recommend at least looking at the updated One X+. HTC makes great phones. While I don't have a ton of experience with them, or any with the One X+ (wrong carrier) I do have experience with the One S on T-Mobile and it's a great phone.

Don't forget that if you don't mind foregoing carrier subsidies, the Nexus 4 is about as good as it gets.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Since you're with AT&T I'd highly recommend at least looking at the updated One X+. HTC makes great phones. While I don't have a ton of experience with them, or any with the One X+ (wrong carrier) I do have experience with the One S on T-Mobile and it's a great phone.
AT&T has the SIII as well which is pretty much the current Samsung flagship. The Xperia Z/ZL may arrive in a few months too. MWC is coming in February so there may be a few more new models to be introduced.

derFunkenstein wrote:
Don't forget that if you don't mind foregoing carrier subsidies, the Nexus 4 is about as good as it gets.
If only you can find them in stock from the Play store. :x It may depend on whether you need more than 16 gigs of storage. For people with a few games with a lot of downloaded data, a large music library, lots of videos (shot or copied over from other devices), ROM backups (if you are into playing with different ROMs), it may not be enough so the no microSD of the Nexus 4 is a negative.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:43 pm

I've got an HTC OneX and I like it quite a bit.. Especially coming from an Atrix.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:58 pm

If you prefer Android, take a look at LG Optimus G from AT&T - it's a beautiful phone, feels very "high quality" due to front and back glass surfaces instead of cheap, creaky plastic (some people like to use the more fancy word like "polycarbonate" instead of "plastic", but that doesn't change anything) like on most current phones ;-) Also, the display quality is excellent unlike the garbage that Samsung uses on their S3 ;-) I'm not considering switching from my iPhone 4S yet, but if I were - that LG's model would be my first choice.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:03 pm

JohnC wrote:
If you prefer Android, take a look at LG Optimus G from AT&T - it's a beautiful phone, feels very "high quality" due to front and back glass surfaces instead of cheap, creaky plastic (some people like to use the more fancy word like "polycarbonate" instead of "plastic", but that doesn't change anything) like on most current phones ;-) Also, the display quality is excellent unlike the garbage that Samsung uses on their S3 ;-) I'm not considering switching from my iPhone 4S yet, but if I were - that LG's model would be my first choice.

The Optimus G is the basis for the Nexus 4. My issue with LG's own phone is their bad history of updates and smaller dev community. If updates and the ability to try out a dozen custom roms, then the LG is not for you.

Just because the S3 is pentile does not mean it is "garbage". And if you prefer "punchy" colours then most AMOLED screens will beat LCDs handily.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:25 pm

JohnC wrote:
Also, the display quality is excellent unlike the garbage that Samsung uses on their S3 ;-)

What is your objection to the S3? That display is gorgeous.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:45 pm

ludi wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Also, the display quality is excellent unlike the garbage that Samsung uses on their S3 ;-)

What is your objection to the S3? That display is gorgeous.

The small text looks less "sharp" on S3 than on IPS displays like on my iPhone or new LG Optimus phone, also the colors look too "vivid" to the point of feeling "unnatural". Some people like it, but I don't.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
The Optimus G is the basis for the Nexus 4.

Yea, I know, and Nexus 4 is an excellent alternative with its more recent OS version and being fully unlocked, but there are still severe shortages for it, whereas Optimus G is always available in stock, at a reduced (subsidized) price from AT&T and an "officially working" LTE. So for me, being an AT&T customer who don't yet see a good reason to switch to any other provider, Optimus G is probably a better option, even with LG's slower OS updates.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:21 pm

I'm waiting for this one.

Glad I held off on the 920.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Voldenuit wrote:

If you want OIS also that may be next year. :P

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 pm

One of the things that the LG gets dinged on is lower battery life, and the battery is non-removable, which kinda bites. I've had to do many battery pulls on my Atrix through the years. I do like the micro SD slot on it, though.

Do the Samsung units sport removable batteries and SD slots?
I wish I had gone to med school.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Voldenuit wrote:

If you want OIS also that may be next year. :P

Yea... And (based on my personal experience with Lumia 920) it will most likely also be plagued by various issues like somewhat poor image sharpness and white balance issues which will take Nokia several more months to come up with software patches which will solve these issues for some of the users :wink: :P
Last edited by JohnC on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 pm

The Swamp wrote:
Do the Samsung units sport removable batteries and SD slots?
The S3 surely does.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 pm

The S3 is made entirely of plastic and floor sweepings. I recommended the One X+ because of its mostly metal construction. The One S feels awesome like that. The Nexus 4 is a lot of glass, if you want an iPhone that runs Jelly Bean for relatively cheap. Also, Pentile displays always look fuzzy, even the Galaxy Nexus (which is similar enough to the S3 IMO) has a fuzzy edge to everything. Also, reds look like they're up above the glass. Very unsettling.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:56 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
The S3 is made entirely of plastic and floor sweepings. I recommended the One X+ because of its mostly metal construction. The One S feels awesome like that.
It may come down to TouchWiz vs Sense for Samsung vs One X+/S. The HTCs are not without their own issues, ranging from crappy battery life and high RAM usage IIRC. If the OP really wants removable battery, then the HTCs are out.

derFunkenstein wrote:
The Nexus 4 is a lot of glass, if you want an iPhone that runs Jelly Bean for relatively cheap. Also, Pentile displays always look fuzzy, even the Galaxy Nexus (which is similar enough to the S3 IMO) has a fuzzy edge to everything. Also, reds look like they're up above the glass. Very unsettling.
Not everyone report all these issues, and Samsung's pentile screen equipped phones sold very well. I personally don't notice the so-called fuzziness. I do notice the inaccurate colours though, but I know they are punchy and catch people's attention, especially viewing at an angle.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:32 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
The S3 is made entirely of plastic and floor sweepings. I recommended the One X+ because of its mostly metal construction.

Hmm...after having owned the excellent-but-heavy Nexus One and then upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus, I fail to see the appeal. Notebook computer, sure, because those things flex too much just due to their size; a small handheld device, no thanks, I don't need it to be heavier. Make it thin and light, and then all I need to do is add a gel case.

Also, Pentile displays always look fuzzy, even the Galaxy Nexus (which is similar enough to the S3 IMO) has a fuzzy edge to everything. Also, reds look like they're up above the glass. Very unsettling.

I've never seen the "red above the glass" thing you speak of but wonder if it's refraction from some sort of vision correction? My high-index eyeglasses will do this if I look at light sources out the edges, I can shift the red or the blue completely out of the source depending whether I'm looking from the left or from the right.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:50 am

I think ludi is talking about chromatic aberration I get this with my polycarbonate lens glasses on the outer quarter or so of the lenses. (The lenses are relatively small and the edge isn't far beyond the edge of my eye horizontally, it's noticeable when viewing something through the part of the lens outside the edge of my eye.) Glass lenses are less prone to this but a ton heavier. It's more noticeable with objects that have a potentially 'perfect' image such as digital screens. Long story short, some aspects of screen quality are subjective and depend on one's vision in addition to the same thing bothering some people but not others. It's always best to check out a screen in person (or have a solid return policy) to see how it works for you.