Newegg squishes patent troll.

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Newegg squishes patent troll.

Postposted on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:29 pm

My respect for Newegg went up after reading this:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/01/how-newegg-crushed-the-shopping-cart-patent-and-saved-online-retail/

I am surprised that so many companies (with the exception of newegg) decided to settle with the patent troll.
I can see how small companies can't afford to fight a drawn out legal battle, but on the second page of the article you can see the list of companies that did settle are huge companies, all well known by the general public and some even household names. Some of the companies listed such as Victoria's Secret, Ebay, Neman Marcus, J Crew.....

Good job newegg!

Patent troll squishing level: Asian.
vandy
Gerbil
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: Newegg squishes patent troll.

Postposted on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Just read that. Perfect example of bravery and discretion winning the day.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7336
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: Newegg squishes patent troll.

Postposted on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:54 pm


Bravo!

vandy wrote:I am surprised that so many companies (with the exception of newegg) decided to settle with the patent troll.

While large, most of the other companies mentioned are actually smaller when it comes to online sales volume. According to this ranking, Newegg is currently the 13th largest online retailer; most of the other companies mentioned are farther down the list. Newegg may have decided to fight back because they had more to lose over the long run.

Edit:
Lee Cheng (Newegg's head lawyer) wrote:... It's actually surprising how quickly people forget what Lemelson did. [referring to Jerome Lemelson, an infamous patent troll who used so-called "submarine patents" to make billions in licensing fees.] This activity is very similar. Trolls right now "submarine" as well. They use timing, like he used timing. Then they pop up and say "Hello, surprise! Give us your money or we will shut you down!" Screw them. Seriously, screw them. You can quote me on that.

Quoted because it deserved to be quoted!
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37634
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Newegg squishes patent troll.

Postposted on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:25 pm

"We basically took a look at this situation and said, this is ****..."


Lol, go NewEgg! :D
TR BBQ ~XI~ has come and gone but you can relive it by checking out this gallery!
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4513
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: Newegg squishes patent troll.

Postposted on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:38 pm

My employer was recently hit by one of the largest patent trolls out there [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_A._Katz] Ronald A. Katz [\url]. He never has produced a tangible product just that he "thought up the technology' to which I throw the BS flag on. I wish my employer would have fought back but didn't. In fact some other big names companies kowtowed to him :-?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7170
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Newegg squishes patent troll.

Postposted on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:21 pm

tanker27 wrote:My employer was recently hit by one of the largest patent trolls out there [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_A._Katz] Ronald A. Katz [\url]. He never has produced a tangible product just that he "thought up the technology' to which I throw the BS flag on. I wish my employer would have fought back but didn't. In fact some other big names companies kowtowed to him :-?

There's another one going around trying to squeeze money from banks and credit unions claiming a patent on connecting ATMs to their host banks through the Internet.

http://www.gcglaw.com/resources/financi ... laims.html
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20185
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Newegg squishes patent troll.

Postposted on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:41 pm

Captain Ned wrote:There's another one going around trying to squeeze money from banks and credit unions claiming a patent on connecting ATMs to their host banks through the Internet.

http://www.gcglaw.com/resources/financi ... laims.html


This is like patenting an off-ramp of a certain shape...
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7336
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: Newegg squishes patent troll.

Postposted on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:51 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:There's another one going around trying to squeeze money from banks and credit unions claiming a patent on connecting ATMs to their host banks through the Internet.

http://www.gcglaw.com/resources/financi ... laims.html

This is like patenting an off-ramp of a certain shape...

Or a fixed menu that appears at the top of all pages on a web site. Just like on *this* site.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37634
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer


Return to The Back Porch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: climatepete, Gravitar, ryan345, StaticFX and 6 guests