Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Stalin
Gerbil
Topic Author

Logitech Gamped not detected

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:44 am

A couple of days back, my front USB ports suddenly stopped working. Stopped working as in my gampad had the led on but wasnt detected in control panel. I connected it the rear port and it worked. Now, the gampad is connected the rear port but that has also stopped working. I see the the gamepad is on but doeesnt work. Tried changing the ports but doesn't help.

This is what I see
http://imgur.com/NTcuzKz

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Logitech Gamped not detected

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:22 pm

Do other devices still work if plugged into the same ports? We need to narrow it down to whether it is the pad or the ports.

My guess is that the cable to the pad has gone bad -- power wires still connected, but one (or both) data wires intermittent.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Stalin
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:12 am

No, front USB ports dont seem to work now. Dont know why this is suddenly happening. Haven't made any hardware or software change.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:15 am

Maybe something nasty in the gamepad is destroying your usb ports?
Wanna try using it in another computer and see if the usb ports on that goes bad as well?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:28 am

Try completely cutting power to the system -- power down normally, then unplug the main power cord and wait a few minutes before plugging it back in and turning back on. I've seen motherboards which will disable USB ports if they detect a power overload, and won't reset it until the motherboard is hard power cycled.

Then test the ports with something else (mouse, thumbdrive, etc.)

If the ports are indeed dead, IMO it is unlikely (though possible) that the gamepad was responsible.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.