Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

automaticus
Gerbil
Topic Author

So which Asus motherboard utilities do I really need?

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Here's a direct link to my board's software list: http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P8Z77V_ ... ownload_36

So much stuff! What's worth getting?

(Also, why do they make that list so terrible to look at? I get lost in it instantly.)

While I'm at it... should I use any of the following:

1. ASUS EPU
  2. TurboV
  3. GPU Boost
?

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Re: So which Asus motherboard utilities do I really need?

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:41 pm

I don't use any of them. Sometimes they provide some cool or convenient functionality but a lot of times it's just one more thing sucking up system resources.

If you're curious, go ahead an download some and see if they make things better for you. Your motherboard manual will explain what each utility does. Otherwise you don't really "need" any of the utilities. Just make sure you install all of the drivers though.

automaticus
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Just figured out that the simplest thing to do, by far, is to simply get Asus AI Suite II. It's packed with all their tools in one package. I'll give that a shot and see if any of the stuff is useful.

Only driver I installed is Catalyst 13.1 for my graphics card. Everything else seems to be humming along just perfectly.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:48 pm

When getting a new mb, I only install the drivers (lan, mainboard and audio) then toss the disk back into the box.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Why would you want to pollute the fresh install with this crapware??? They don't add any useful functionality (you can do all adjustments without them - just reboot and adjust stuff in BIOS) and in my experience most of the Asus utilities were always buggy, requiring extra steps or various patches to install... If you want basic stuff like monitoring your CPU's temperature and voltages - there are better (smaller, more stable) utilities available, like CoreTemp and such.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Abit's μGuru was about the only useful and non-harmful bit of mfg mobo utility. Still running an Abit IP35 Pro to this day.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:40 pm

In general, you may want:

- Latest BIOS (check the list of things they've fixed to see if any of them might affect you)

- Drivers (if Device Manager is complaining about missing drivers for any of the onboard devices)

- PDF of the User Manual (the hardcopy ones just add clutter and tend to get misplaced so I generally don't even bother keeping them any more)

Rest of it is all optional stuff you probably don't need.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

automaticus
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:50 pm

I took a tour of the Asus AISuite II utility and it's chock full of tools. I just updated the BIOS with it but that's about all it's been useful for so far.

Mostly, it seems, it's monitoring apps and overclocking aids. While I don't plan on overclocking right now, I'm not counting out the possibility that I will some day soon.

Another thing I'm wondering is.. when in BIOS, I have options for three settings. Something like "Eco", "Normal" and "Optimal" for highest performance. I get the same in the AI Suite II in Windows.. what do I make of all these profile options. Wouldn't I want my brand new computer running at absolute peak performance?

Device manager is reporting absolutely no problems. None. Yet it's still possible there are newer chipset drivers, audio drivers, etc. I definitely have the latest graphics drivers, which should be the most important of them all for gaming performance.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:41 pm

automaticus wrote:
I took a tour of the Asus AISuite II utility and it's chock full of tools. I just updated the BIOS with it but that's about all it's been useful for so far.

Mostly, it seems, it's monitoring apps and overclocking aids. While I don't plan on overclocking right now, I'm not counting out the possibility that I will some day soon.

Another thing I'm wondering is.. when in BIOS, I have options for three settings. Something like "Eco", "Normal" and "Optimal" for highest performance. I get the same in the AI Suite II in Windows.. what do I make of all these profile options. Wouldn't I want my brand new computer running at absolute peak performance?

Device manager is reporting absolutely no problems. None. Yet it's still possible there are newer chipset drivers, audio drivers, etc. I definitely have the latest graphics drivers, which should be the most important of them all for gaming performance.

Be careful about updating BIOS using Asus' own crapware "utilities" - in the past they were causing problems for some people, including corrupt BIOS requiring the mobo replacement.
As for BIOS settings - read the manual, it is usually good at explaining which each setting does, also Asus' own site has detailed explanation for some settings/features...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:52 pm

JohnC wrote:
Be careful about updating BIOS using Asus' own crapware "utilities" - in the past they were causing problems for some people, including corrupt BIOS requiring the mobo replacement.

The one built into the BIOS itself (EZ Flash) seems to be pretty dependable these days. The only time I've ever had EZ Flash brick a motherboard was nearly a decade ago, shortly after the feature was introduced.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Yea, the built-in BIOS utility is fine (I also use it if it's available), I was talking about downloadable applications that Asus distributes on its website... I've read many stories in the past about how unreliable they were when used for BIOS updates, not sure if the same still applies today but given the typically crappy programming job by Asus I wouldn't trust these things... Besides, if I can flash the new BIOS without using these utilities - what's the point of even installing them? It's not like you have to update your BIOS every week or so, especially if you have a fairly "old" mobo (last BIOS update for my mobo was like 6 months ago)...

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Abit's μGuru was about the only useful and non-harmful bit of mfg mobo utility. Still running an Abit IP35 Pro to this day.

asrock extreme tuner does what it says on the tin: overclocking
But I guess the same can be said for most of the overclocking utilities

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:57 pm

I use the fan xpert+ and modify my fan profile. If I just leave it default my processor gets to 80C. At my current profile it keeps it about 70C under full load.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:21 pm

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
I use the fan xpert+ and modify my fan profile. If I just leave it default my processor gets to 80C. At my current profile it keeps it about 70C under full load.

You can do that on modern Asus mobos from within BIOS... Things like creating custom profiles, where fan speed can be increased/decreased as CPU reaches specific temperatures...

thecoldanddarkone

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:44 pm

JohnC wrote:
thecoldanddarkone wrote:

You can do that on modern Asus mobos from within BIOS... Things like creating custom profiles, where fan speed can be increased/decreased as CPU reaches specific temperatures...

Yes, it's not as flexible and I don't have to restart my pc to change it...
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Considering you only have to create such profile once - I see no issues with restarting your PC... But, whatever - some people like to keep it simple and some like to be bombarded by fancy animations from their displays and don't mind to waste storage space and system resources on running such redundant applications... Just a matter of personal preference :wink:

thecoldanddarkone

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:15 pm

JohnC wrote:
Considering you only have to create such profile once - I see no issues with restarting your PC... But, whatever - some people like to keep it simple and some like to be bombarded by fancy animations from their displays and don't mind to waste storage space and system resources on running such redundant applications... Just a matter of personal preference :wink:

Maybe you missed something, It's slightly more flexible, not just because you can change it while it's running, but because the xpert control itself lets you change the middle slider... I mean if system resources are really that important you could always uninstall it after you're done... It is currently using 1.7 megs of ram on my desktop, I don't remember how much hard drive space it uses. I primarily use it because it gave me slightly greater control over my fan settings.

As for preferences, yes, nothing wrong with those :D