Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Have to sell my (small) CD collection

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:35 am

Hey!

Just wondering if anyone would have advice/ideas on how would be the best way to sell my CD "collection". It's not a very big collection, about 300 CD's (I know some people have in the thousands!). Reality of life is making us move into a smaller place, and among the things we decided had to go is the CD collection.

About 2/3 of it is in the progressive rock/prog metal genre. In the other third, there's pop, rock, metal, and others. Some are "obvious ones" for prog, like Rush, Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP, Dream Theater. But there are also "less obvious" ones, like The Flower Kings, Echolyn, Headspace... Some are plain old regular CD's, what would be considered as the original CD release (don't know if that adds value or reduces it), some are re-issues/remasters usually with bonus stuff, and some more recently released items might be special/limited editions, and some are even signed. So I guess I can say that there's a jumble of variety in there. Here is a partial list to give you an idea (these are all part of the 2/3 of prog stuff). I don't think there's anything in there of particular high value, but obviously I want to try to get the most out of it. It would help paying for the move among other things...

So.... ebay? local ad listings like Kijiji/Craigslist? Other places I don't know about that are great for this kind of thing?
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work unless it's open"... Frank Zappa

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Have to sell my (small) CD collection

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:44 am

You may be able to unload a few of 'em right here. There are some prog-heads on the forums (myself and Captain Ned for starters).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:10 pm

CD's don't take up much space, do they?
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-KSW320 ... 230&sr=1-2

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
CD's don't take up much space, do they?
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-KSW320 ... 230&sr=1-2

It might not be much of a collection, but to be a collectable it has to at least be in its original case. And many of the ones I have are not conventional plastic case. InsideOut, SPV, and others make nice boxes, etc...

just brew it! wrote:
You may be able to unload a few of 'em right here. There are some prog-heads on the forums (myself and Captain Ned for starters).

Thanks JBI. I'll consider that (and it did actually cross my mind :wink: )

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Amazon Marketplace. If you see a title that has 300 copies listed at $0.01 each, then don't even bother. On the other hand you might have a rare title or two that is in demand, and get an unexpected $15-20.

Or, post the whole deal on eBay as two or three big genre collections, and see if you can get the waters churning by people who want 10 or 15 discs in particular, and are willing to fight for the purchase.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

dmjifn
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:59 pm

You might consider donating non-collectibles and leftovers. Valuation for CDs can be $2-$5, netting you maybe $0.50 - $1.25 per CD.

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www ... endocument
http://www.goodwill.org/wp-content/uplo ... _Guide.pdf
http://www.lauramraz.com/uploads/NonCashDonation.pdf

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:18 pm

ludi wrote:
Amazon Marketplace. If you see a title that has 300 copies listed at $0.01 each, then don't even bother. On the other hand you might have a rare title or two that is in demand, and get an unexpected $15-20.

Or, post the whole deal on eBay as two or three big genre collections, and see if you can get the waters churning by people who want 10 or 15 discs in particular, and are willing to fight for the purchase.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about the Amazon Marketplace. The only thing I don't like about it, is that they have a fixed shipping amount. It's fine for the regular jewel cases, but as soon as it's a little thicker, you get beyond the 2cm limit and fall in the small packet category, which just about doubles the shipping rate for me. I actually ended up loosing a bit of money that way in the past. Yep, Canadian postal service sucks like that. It is very reliable, but also very expensive. However, it is still worth considering the Marketplace for the more collectible items.

dmjifn wrote:
You might consider donating non-collectibles and leftovers. Valuation for CDs can be $2-$5, netting you maybe $0.50 - $1.25 per CD.

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www ... endocument
http://www.goodwill.org/wp-content/uplo ... _Guide.pdf
http://www.lauramraz.com/uploads/NonCashDonation.pdf

I like that idea. The only difference is that I would be looking for a Canadian equivalent, since that's the country I live in :wink:

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:32 pm

vince wrote:
ludi wrote:

I like that idea. The only difference is that I would be looking for a Canadian equivalent, since that's the country I live in :wink:

most of the organizations have Canadian counterparts :-)
http://www.salvationarmy.ca/
Funny... Goodwill seems to have web pages by province... not one for quebec, so no link for you :-)
There are Also Talize and Value Village which seems less goes to charity.

In Canada non-cash donations are very hard to get charitable receipts for with very few organizations able to issue that type of receipt. They usually try to pay you cash that you donate back to loop-hole that one.

Also remember that if you are selling/donating your original copy you no longer have the right to the backup copies on your MP3 players.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Why wouldn't you rip them digitally and destroy the CD?

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:44 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:

In Canada for the rip you are supposed to keep the original media once you make your legal "backup". destroying the media I think negates this.

Best bet if you want to keep the music is to just put the stuff in boxes then into storage.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:52 am

Arvald wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:

In Canada for the rip you are supposed to keep the original media once you make your legal "backup". destroying the media I think negates this.

Best bet if you want to keep the music is to just put the stuff in boxes then into storage.

If they're already out of jewel boxes, just scare up a couple of empty 100-count spindles. Storage problem solved.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:16 am

Captain Ned wrote:
If they're already out of jewel boxes, just scare up a couple of empty 100-count spindles. Storage problem solved.

Sounds like the collection is all in original cases and some have reasons to keep the case (signed). Original issue stated he had some oddball sized ones too.

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Arvald wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Sounds like the collection is all in original cases and some have reasons to keep the case (signed). Original issue stated he had some oddball sized ones too.

Yes, like Arvald said.

The idea is to sell these in their original form/package. Otherwise they are not "collection-worthy". I want them to have a new home.

As for the piracy subject, no worries. I probably will keep a select few top favorites CD's anyway. For the rest, there are many a ways to listen to pretty much anything on the internet now, or I will purchase digitally the ones I really want (for instance if I want a better quality version, because we all know about the compression on the 'net). The rest is stuff I don't listen to anymore, so I don't care not having them anymore.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:05 pm

Wish you the best of luck. Selling things like that are a little niche right now. you either find the buyer or you don't.

bernardo78
Gerbil

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 am

I unloaded some CD's at a used book store that sells CDs. Granted they didn't take them all, but I walked out of there with more cash than I thought I would get.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Have you looked at Glyde? I haven't sold much on it but I've bought quite a few things and its a really nice service.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:16 pm

drfish wrote:
Have you looked at Glyde? I haven't sold much on it but I've bought quite a few things and its a really nice service.

Cool site, though I don't see a section for audio CD.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Huh, how do you like that? Already too old of a medium to bother with, sorry, I just assumed they did CDs too... :oops:

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:59 pm

issssh, I'm beginning to think I'm not going to have much success selling these CD's... I'll try anyway.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:19 pm

What's left of your collection?

I might be interested in some of them, but I'd need to see a list first.

cjcerny
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Most of them are worth maybe $1-$2 each. I would just give them to a charity or random people on the street if you need to get rid of them fast. However, if you have any rare or long out of print CDs in your collection, it is not uncommon for something like that to fetch up to $75 each. Look at the going rates for each before donating them. Sell the valuable ones on eBay, if you have any.

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
What's left of your collection?

I might be interested in some of them, but I'd need to see a list first.

Look at the link on the top (my first post). I'm almost done listing the "progressive" stuff. The rest I will put on a separate sheet, or just below...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:13 pm

Is it time to move this thread to the Bargain Basement? Don't forget that the Basement has its own special rules before opining.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:24 pm

not quite ready yet. I'll let you know. Or I'll actually create a new thread. Thanks.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:19 am

vince wrote:
Look at the link on the top (my first post). I'm almost done listing the "progressive" stuff. The rest I will put on a separate sheet, or just below...

I saw the link. I wasn't sure that was everything.

There are a couple of bands that look interesting. I'll need to check and see which Opeth CDs I already own, and I'll look through the rest to see if anything sounds interesting.

vince
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:49 am

After thinking back on this (BTW, my list is now complete, here is the link again), I think I'll just start and list the CD's on e-bay directly. A couple of reasons:

- I've been trying to figure out a way to determine the value of each of these. I've been using e-Bay, Amazon, and a couple of other sites, for a sample of the collection. It's a daunting task, mostly for the ones that have different "versions". It's often vague on the sites which one is represented. And I've come to the conclusion that the autographs I have do not add any value, simply because they're not very well know bands (however awesome I might think they are :wink: )

- I'm not "known" to the community here, so I have a hard time believing that people will simply trust me with their hard earned money. Is it enough just to say that I'm trust-worthy? At least on e-bay, it protects both seller and buyer to some level.

- It'll be harder to manage if more than one person wants a CD. On e-bay, just bid away!