Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

moey1974
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Question on next-gen gaming and a Intel 3570K (sufficient)

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:03 am

New member here, hope everyone is having a good 2013.

Well i just recently built a new rig right before Christmas, Intel [email protected] using a Hyper 212+ cpu Cooler, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 mobo, Gigabyte HD7870 Ghz Edition@1225/1350, 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600, ThermalTake Versa 2 Mid Tower Case w/Six 120mm fans, XFX 550watt Core Edition PSU(seasonic rebadge psu),etc,etc ...that is what i built for around $800.00 USD after hunting down some good sales on parts and hopefully it'll last me 2-3 years besides a GPU upgrade in a year or two. I game at 1440x900, i just happen to be content at that resolution.

The new build has been very good to me thus far and been enjoying some great gaming on it so far. I am also a console gamer but finally tossed in the towel on these aging consoles as i simply couldn't stand looking at watered down visuals anymore..i mean these current consoles are in their 7th and 8th year with the hardware being around 8 years old so it was time for me to move on until the next gen consoles come out which i will be buying one next gen console from either Microsoft or Sony but as an avid gamer..i always enjoyed both console and PC gaming so i will also be gaming on my PC as well, i am no fanboy of anything platform or any fanboy of anything besides just being a fanboy of gaming regardless of which platform the game happens to be on, if its a good game, i am playing it, period.

Anyways, my new build is aimed at gaming only. I do not do any video editing,etc so i opted out of getting a Intel 3770k with 8 threads since my focus is strickly gaming and HD movie viewing only. I use my PC on my 52inch Panasonic Plasma Display and it works great. Having a PC connected to your home theater equipment is something i have been doing since the good old days of my All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro, man some good memories with that classic video card. :)

After the aimed spec's for the new consoles..i noticed both PS4 and the Next Xbox going with AMD 8 Core CPU's...granted they are 8 cores in "two" cluster configurations but my concern is my Intel 3570K processor only being a 4 core CPU with 4 threads. Now ...will that be an issue once these next gen consoles come out? Because i do not plan on buying a new console as soon as they are released later this year. I usually wait until their 2nd revision of new consoles so they work out any kinks or flaws in their initial release of these next gen consoles so i will be playing next gen console ports to PC's for a good year to year and half.

Do you guys think my 3570K cpu overclocked at 4.4ghz will be able to handle these next gen console ports to the PC when considering these next gen consoles are using CPU's that are 8 cores while these 3570K cpu's are only 4 core cpu's?

My personal gut tells me that the 3570K cpu is still going to be a much better quality and powerful CPU then what will be in these next gen consoles regardless of these next gen consoles using a AMD jaguar type 8 core cpu which will be clocked for instance the next xbox AMD Cpu will be 8 core @ 1.6ghz per core.

Now i am new to this forum so i do not know how nice people are around here...it's a legitimate question that i just want some feedback on from some of you more PC tech savvy people around here that know whats up regarding the more technical side of things with it comes to comparing CPU's like my question here. I do realize that game developers are going to start utilizing more cores and a good majority of games we saw this generation were console to pc ports and i assume this trend will be the same this upcoming next generation of gaming.

Any feedback or input would be greatly appreciated and i hope to make some new friends here and also learn some new things..i am always looking to learn more knowledge when it comes to computer technology and this looks like the place for me for that task i am striving for.

God Bless, :D
Moey

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Re: Question on next-gen gaming and a Intel 3570K (sufficien

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:06 am

Welcome to the forum.

Personally I'm not qualified to make an informed guess, but i''ll try to speculate nontheless. Imo your CPU will be fine, even if the game engine will have "only" 4 cores to run with, it should be more than enough for a few years considering the resolution you are playing at.

Personally i think it will be nice if devs make new engines that will take advantage of more than 4 cores since only a few do right now, but it will obviously take some time before that happens. You should be more than OK with your rig.

That said, there is a legitimate concern that some ports will be badly executed technically (we all know what happened with GTA 4 and it's thirst for 4 cores) but those titles should be the exeption not the norm.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:55 am

Nothing to worry about. Those 8 CPUs in the next gen consoles will be based on AMD's successor to the Bobcat architecture, i.e., individually not very powerful to begin with. See Digital Foundry's breakdown of the next-gen specs.
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:14 am

Your CPU will be fine. IMO it should be fine for half a decade or so.
I'm still using a very old Q6600, and coupled with a modern GPU it still serves me well in any modern game.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:03 am

Ok i have one question if you are using your PC on a 50+ inch plasma why are you gaming a 1440-900 res? You should be running 1080p. But with a plasma i would have my screensaver set to do ribbons in 1 minute sitting idle. Just to be safe from burn in.

As for you setup you did a fine job for the money and it will last you a long while.
Welcome to TR also:)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:31 am

Hey dude, check out this thread I posted here on TR.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?